Vietnam Introduces E-Visas for 40 countries

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Vietnam Introduces E-Visas for 40 countries

Post by obelisks »

taabarang wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:35 pm I was first there during the rainy season of 2000. It was overpriced, generally overrated and highly polluted from rivers that dumped sewage into the bay. Boring place and poor culinary offerings for the wonderful cuisine of Vietnam. Nice bus ride to Dalat though.
I was first there in 1993 just after the country opened up ( Doi Moi ) and I agree with you there was nothing there.
As of today there is no pollution and there must've been phenomenal investment by the Chinese with high-rise towers and good roads everywhere.
It is certainly not overpriced and you will be very surprised if you compare it to the prices in Cambodia
it can even boast as having the longest overwater cable car ride in the world to an adjoining island resort
and how you can say Vietnamese culinary offerings are poor if you are comparing it to what you can get in Cambodia is quite astonishing :facepalm:
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:36 pm ^^ Possibly, there's a chance that things have changed since 'the rainy season of 2000'.
:lol:
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

snookieboi wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:26 pm
obelisks wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:52 pm Nha Trang as a coastal city in terms of its cleanliness, its facilities and amenities, value for money in hotels and restaurants and the general atmosphere in my opinion is far better than Pattaya in Thailand and I'm sorry to say is considerably better than Sihanoukville.
I'm just curious if anybody on this forum has been there and agrees or disagrees with my sentiments?
I was there many years ago. Unless it has massively improved,it was a nice place but certainly did not have the same 'fun' factor of Snookie, or Pattaya.

:popcorn:
if you were there only many years ago you will not appreciate to what extent it has massively improved
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"^^ Possibly, there's a chance that things have changed since 'the rainy season of 2000'."

Could be, but I can only write about my experience and hence carefully dated. Your input will of course help us all to understand what it's really like.

"and how you can say Vietnamese culinary offerings are poor if you are comparing it to what you can get in Cambodia is quite".

I believe that my post clearly compares the overpriced shit I ate there with other Vietnamese cuisine purchased elsewhere. Unlike you I wouldn't condemn all the food of a whole country.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

After how many beers does your paranoia usually set in? Clearly, everyone is out to disagree with you. :facepalm:
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

obelisks wrote: if you were there only many years ago you will not appreciate to what extent it has massively improved
Well i was there maybe 2010/12'ish.

It was neat, nice and 'touristy' then. Had upscale eating and bars, places like Sailors Club, etc. I mean i had no problems with the place in that sense.

BUTTT...If you were to say it was as much of a 'fun' place as Sihanoukville, or say Pattaya, then i would have to stop you, and say, No. your'e wrong!

What seperates Vietnam from the rest is that although the people can be friendly, they are not known for being as 'fun'. Now Maybe they have become more 'fun', maybe they now even have 'gogo bars' or something, maybe they have all night parties or something, but from what i just read from google, it seems like others say similar stuff. It's cool, but limited in those respects, they say. I will however say that i did like South Vietnam a lot, because i liked the people, they were friendly with me.

:pirat:
More than just any old backpacker.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

UT wrote, "After how many beers does your paranoia usually set in? Clearly, everyone is out to disagree with you."

That is not "quick, short, sharp shock" but a rather far fetched and unwarranted attack. Being insulted by you is like being run over and noticing nothing. Neither quick, nor sharp nor short, leaving the target with only a dull desire to laugh.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Nha Trang is tidy but boring, plenty of much nicer places in Vietnam. I have a problem with Burma, any country that carries on a genocide in 2017 with the complicity of the people and the government is not on my touring radar. Sri Lanka was just as awful, I find the peaceful, loving buddhists in both countries to be bastards.
The Thai of course have Rohingya blood on their hands but that is mostly confined to the honourable armed forces, particularly the Navy. They have a terrible legacy with the Vietnamese boat people of course.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

willyhilly wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:03 am Nha Trang is tidy but boring, plenty of much nicer places in Vietnam. I have a problem with Burma, any country that carries on a genocide in 2017 with the complicity of the people and the government is not on my touring radar. Sri Lanka was just as awful, I find the peaceful, loving buddhists in both countries to be bastards.
The Thai of course have Rohingya blood on their hands but that is mostly confined to the honourable armed forces, particularly the Navy. They have a terrible legacy with the Vietnamese boat people of course.
I just came back from 6th or 7th trip and love the country. If I chose my destinations based on the politics, most countries would be off the map.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I am planning a major moto ride there. I have read so many Vietnam memoirs lately on my Kindle, really cheap history books. I may visit every US Firebase there, on their lonely mountain tops and write a book. The best fiction book about Vietnam is The 13th Valley about the A Shau, there were several firebases there adjacent to the Lao border.
I just read a book by a Huey pilot who flew ARVN troops into Lao for the ill fated Lam Son 719 operation. It had two objectives, cut the HCM trail and show that the ARVN could fight the war without US boots on the ground. It was a major disaster, of course.
How does one stay for more than 30 days? Is there a visa that can be easily extended.
And what about taking a 150cc moto from Cambodia and the drivers licence, does anyone know?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic