Fake travel agency confronted by cheated mob.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Fake travel agency confronted by cheated mob.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Like a lot of jobs in Cambodia, anyone can set themselves up as a travel agent. But news of cheats and scammers gets out quickly on social media, especially when it is something so obvious as selling non-existent plane tickets.

Cheated Mob Surrounds Fake Tour Agency Demanding Money Back
February 15, 2017

Military police arrested the owner of a tour agency on Monday evening after an angry mob surrounded its office to confront her after being swindled out of thousands of dollars meant to be used to purchase airline tickets.

About 30 customers descended on Srey Rath International Travel and Tours—named after the 35-year-old owner, Ros Sreyrath—in Phnom Penh’s Prampi Makara district at about 8 p.m., apparently after one of them began a Facebook live video outside the agency.

“It was chaotic and people wanted to beat her,” said Soy Chandy, head of the district military police, adding that Ms. Sreyrath was brought to the municipal police headquarters, where she continued to be held on Tuesday.

Customers, among them Chey Sokunthy, 25, allege that the agency took their money without purchasing tickets for them, instead just printing itineraries that proved worthless at the airport. She claimed that she and fellow customers had filed about 40 complaints with military police, demanding the return of payments between $1,000 and $5,000...

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/chea ... ck-125161/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fake travel agency confronted by cheated mob.

The same travel agency was even ripping off monks...

Monk sues travel agency over fake ticket
Monday, 06 March 2017
Buth Buntenh, the chief of the Independent Monk Network for Social Justice, has filed a complaint against a travel agency for issuing a fraudulent plane ticket to the United States.
Venerable Buntenh took Srey Rath International Travel & Tours which faces court charges of issuing fake tickets.

Venerable Buntenh said yesterday that he filed the complaint on Thursday against the agency owner for fraud and breach of trust after he was sold a fake $2,600 ticket to the US. “I previously bought a flight ticket to the United States before, but they said the ticket had no corresponding price so they said they would issue me a refund at another time,” he said.

“I was not mad at them as I was used to buying my flight tickets there. After that, I bought another flight ticket but there was no such flight on the day of my departure.

“When I asked the company, they couldn’t solve it and said that the company owner was in jail. I don’t want anything else besides a refund of the ticket price.”

Venerable Buntenh also urged the government to check all the licenses of tour and travel companies and monitor their operations to ensure similar cases are not repeated.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/36126/ ... ke-ticket/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

wtf does a monk need to travel overseas for? to attend buddhism seminar?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Same travel agent has been convicted for issuing a dud cheque for $29,000.

Travel agent convicted over dud $29,000 cheque
4 August 2017
Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday convicted a well known travel agency owner for issuing a bad cheque worth nearly $30,000.
Ros Sreyrath, 36, the owner of Srey Rath International Travel in Daun Penh district, admitted during her trial last month that she issued the cheque knowing it would bounce.
But Ms Sreyrath claimed she only issued it because her business associate whom she owned the money to forced her to sign the cheque, also knowing that her bank account had no funds.

Presiding Judge Leang Samnath yesterday convicted Ms Sreyrath and sentenced her to one year in prison.
“The court orders her to pay a total of $29,000 for damages to the plaintiff in this case,” Judge Samnath said.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5076539/tra ... 00-cheque/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:17 pm Same travel agent has been convicted for issuing a dud cheque for $29,000.

Travel agent convicted over dud $29,000 cheque
4 August 2017
Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday convicted a well known travel agency owner for issuing a bad cheque worth nearly $30,000.
Ros Sreyrath, 36, the owner of Srey Rath International Travel in Daun Penh district, admitted during her trial last month that she issued the cheque knowing it would bounce.
But Ms Sreyrath claimed she only issued it because her business associate whom she owned the money to forced her to sign the cheque, also knowing that her bank account had no funds.

Presiding Judge Leang Samnath yesterday convicted Ms Sreyrath and sentenced her to one year in prison.
“The court orders her to pay a total of $29,000 for damages to the plaintiff in this case,” Judge Samnath said.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5076539/tra ... 00-cheque/
I suspect they put a gun to her head....right after the pigs took flight. :chin:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

bolueeleh wrote:wtf does a monk need to travel overseas for? to attend buddhism seminar?
I've been on a flight with monks - they were sponsored to go to America for an "educational visit."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

6 October 2017
The 36-year-old president of a well-known international travel agency went on trial in Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday for cheating clients out of $270,000. Ros Sothirath is accused of defrauding customers who purchased air tickets through her company in Phnom Penh’s Daun Penh district.

Judge Leang Samnath said Ms Sothirath was arrested by municipal military police in February, in line with complaints made by 74 people.

According to court documents, the victims purchased air tickets worth $270,000 from Ms Sothirath, the owner of the Rath International Travel Company.
But when they tried to check in at Phnom Penh International Airport on the day of their scheduled departures, airline staff informed them their tickets were invalid...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5084916/tra ... ial-fraud/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

26 October 2017
Ms Sothirath was sentenced to a year in prison and a fine of four million riel ($1,000) for issuing fake airline tickets worth $270,000 to customers at Phnom Penh municipal court on 25 October 2017. Judge Samnath said that Ms Sothirath must also pay $270,000 in compensation to the plaintiffs.

In a separate case, Ms Sothirath was convicted in August and sentenced to one year in prison by the municipal court for issuing a bad cheque worth $29,000 to the owner of the China Town Hotel in Daun Penh district, Phnom Penh.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:22 pm
bolueeleh wrote:wtf does a monk need to travel overseas for? to attend buddhism seminar?
I've been on a flight with monks - they were sponsored to go to America for an "educational visit."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was sat next to a gang of them en route to Thailand, they wanted to talk about Manchester United and then started praying during descent*, safest I've ever felt in the air tbh
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic