Drownings on Koh Rong

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Drownings on Koh Rong

Post by cptrelentless »

I heard from my wife that one of the people hiring out the boat had "a girl" go missing yesterday, apparently 20 of them were in the boat, they lit the barbie, twenty went into the sea and only 19 came back. On Huy Bungleng's facebook page there's some dude washed up ashore, seems like there's been more than one.
I've not seen anything more in the news, have the local dailies picked it up? Of course, it could be just the one guy.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Drownings on Koh Rong

Post by kiwiincambodia »

This came in my Cellcard news alert today, could be the same one.

(3) Police searching for British woman who goes missing in water in Preah Sihanouk
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

cptrelentless wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:51 pm I heard from my wife that one of the people hiring out the boat had "a girl" go missing yesterday, apparently 20 of them were in the boat, they lit the barbie, twenty went into the sea and only 19 came back. On Huy Bungleng's facebook page there's some dude washed up ashore, seems like there's been more than one.
I've not seen anything more in the news, have the local dailies picked it up? Of course, it could be just the one guy.
Look at the bottom of the second picture on Huy Bunlang's page and tell that is not a possible murder weapon, or is it just some rope on a broken branch from that stump. :stir:
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Raybull wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:23 pm Look at the bottom of the second picture on Huy Bunlang's page and tell that is not a possible murder weapon, or is it just some rope on a broken branch from that stump. :stir:
Looks too regularly shaped to be from that stump.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I did assume it was a barang as I can't see khmer people diving off the side of a boat without a life jacket. I was told they had the cops out searching but couldn't find her, I'm guessing she might be wedged in the rocks, they were off the southern point
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Posted on KoonKhmer last night
On February 14 2017 at 3.20PM a foreign woman disappeared while swimming in sea. It is not clear what may be the cause of her disappearance.
The incident happened at 'Poy Yeay Mao' beach which is situated in Koh Tooch village, sangkat Koh Rong, Sihanoukville.
The missing person has been identified as Aisha Ife Roberts, a 32-year-old British woman.
The victim is travelling on a TI-visa; she entered the country on February 5 2017 through Bavet International Border Checkpoint.

Presently the authorities are still searching for the woman.

Could the Huy Bunlang pic be her?
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

cptrelentless wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:42 pm I did assume it was a barang as I can't see khmer people diving off the side of a boat without a life jacket. I was told they had the cops out searching but couldn't find her, I'm guessing she might be wedged in the rocks, they were off the southern point
That's a khmer guy that supposedly drowned while drunk after going overboard. The other case is the English girl that dissapeared a Yesterday that UT referenced above. Haven't heard of anybody else. 2 seperate cases.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:49 pm Posted on KoonKhmer last night
On February 14 2017 at 3.20PM a foreign woman disappeared while swimming in sea. It is not clear what may be the cause of her disappearance.
The incident happened at 'Poy Yeay Mao' beach which is situated in Koh Tooch village, sangkat Koh Rong, Sihanoukville.
The missing person has been identified as Aisha Ife Roberts, a 32-year-old British woman.
The victim is travelling on a TI-visa; she entered the country on February 5 2017 through Bavet International Border Checkpoint.

Presently the authorities are still searching for the woman.

Could the Huy Bunlang pic be her?
Her body has been found. From HB:
Sihanouk Province - competence that women foreigners, one that boat long tail with friends kr to swim the sea playing in front of consonants Grandma Mao village of small island neighborhood Koh Rong Herod Poverty drowned disappeared on the afternoon of February 14, 2017, found K. Poverty Network bodies Herod fish at the time over 1 pm noon on 15 February. ROBERTS AISHA IFE victims, female, born on 28 August 1984, British fish sandwich forensic officials ych confirmed that the bodies would really be drowned in the Dead Sea.
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Shame, alcohol and swimming do not mix.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Thursday, 16 February 2017
Body of missing British woman found

The body of a British tourist, who went missing on Monday on Preah Sihanouk province’s Koh Rong, was found yesterday by provincial authorities.
According to police chief Major General Chuon Narin, 33-year-old Aisha Roberts is believed to have drowned while on a coral reef expedition at the remote island.

She was first reported missing on Monday when she and several dozen other foreign tourists were exploring the coral reef beds off Koh Rong.

“Her body was found yesterday afternoon and was retrieved from the water by provincial police,” Maj. Gen. Narin told Khmer Times.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/35513/ ... an--found/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic