Silencing critics with lawsuits.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Silencing critics with lawsuits.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

HE Slaps Analyst With $500K Lawsuit
February 14, 2017
Political commentator Kim Sok’s worldly possessions—two iPhones, an iPad and $200 in savings—may soon become Prime Minister HE’s property after the premier filed a $500,000 lawsuit against the commentator for allegedly claiming that the CPP killed Kem Ley.

“Don’t run away,” Mr. HE warned Mr. Sok during a speech at an inauguration ceremony outside Phnom Penh on Monday. “Just be imprisoned for two years.”

[Mr Sok said]“The property I own includes one iPhone 6; an iPhone 7 Plus; one iPad; and clothes,” as well as $200 in the bank and no land or property he said.

Though Mr. Sok said he had once taught at several universities, the gigs had recently dried up, with the Cambodian University for Specialties declining to renew the outspoken critic’s contract last month.

“When I asked the reason for not renewing the contract, they said, ‘You already know the reason, teacher,’ which is very different from the past when the contract was near expiration and they approached me and renewed it.”

Mr. Sok, whose Facebook page says he earned an MBA in Beijing after studying mathematics at the Royal University of Phnom Penh, vowed to stay in Cambodia to contest the prime minister’s charges...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/hun- ... it-125114/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Silencing critics with lawsuits.

Police ordered to watch analyst
Pech Sotheary,14 Feburary 2017.

Prime Minister HE has ordered police to keep an eye on social analyst Kem Sok, telling them during a speech yesterday to make sure he does not flee the country before defamation charges are heard in court.

Mr. HE’s lawyer Ky Tech filed a complaint to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Sunday against Mr. Sok after he allegedly accused the ruling CPP of being behind the murder of political analyst Kem Ley.

Mr. Sok has denied the allegations, saying he used the term “they” in reference to any state institution and did not specifically mean Mr. HE or the CPP during his comments at a Radio Free Asia roundtable event on Saturday evening.

Speaking at an inauguration ceremony for the Cambodia-China Friendship Bridge in Koh Thom district in Kandal province yesterday, the prime minister said Mr. Sok’s remarks had affected the reputation of the party and “caused unrest in society.”
He has to go to jail for these crimes and pay compensation of $500,000, Mr. HE said.

He ordered police to monitor Mr. Sok’s whereabouts in case he attempted to flee the country like others have in the past. Others who have fled include former opposition leader Sam Rainsy, who fled to Paris more than a year ago, and opposition senator Thak Lany, who fled to Sweden after being sentenced to 18 months in prison on insurrection charges.

Both allegedly told crowds of people that the CPP or Mr. HE was involved in the murder of Mr. Ley.

“You made the comment accusing the CPP of killing people. [We] demand half a million dollars, if you don’t want the confiscation of your property and for it to be sold at an auction. Pay and they will not confiscate,” he said.
“The police have to follow him closely, otherwise he will run, because the ones we previously accused ran to Sweden.”

Mr. HE also called on the Chinese ambassador to Cambodia not to intervene on Mr. Sok’s behalf. Mr. Sok who comes from Takeo province, studied and graduated from schools in China.
“Whoever intends to destroy peace will not be tolerated and not forgiven. Don’t attempt to make a color revolution. You cannot. Prepare the coffins.
“I am not joking because it kills many people. This is not about your freedom of expression,” the prime minister told the crowd...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/35429/ ... h-analyst/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Saying "prepare the coffins" is not the way to go about proving your innocence of accusations of having people killed.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Analyst’s friends arrested

Phnom Penh Municipal Court prosecutor Sieng Sok yesterday issued a summons for political analyst Kem Sok to appear in court for questioning on Friday after arresting two of his friends and temporarily banning him from traveling outside the country.

Seang Chin and another man – friends of Mr. Sok – were arrested and sent to the Daun Penh district police station on Monday evening after bringing Mr. Sok’s car from the Voice of America offices to his house, he told Khmer Times.

“My work and their [his friends’] work is not related to each other at all,” he said.
“They [police] arrested and detained them at the police office without any reason. It is a serious injustice, because there has already been a complaint filed against me.
“So please, investigate me and follow legal procedures.”

Daun Penh district police chief Huot Chan Yaran declined to comment on the case.

Thoun Saren, who said he was the brother-in-law of Mr. Chin, said Mr. Chin was still being held at the police station and officers would not allow relatives to see him...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/35478/ ... -arrested/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

cptrelentless wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:12 pm Saying "prepare the coffins" is not the way to go about proving your innocence of accusations of having people killed.
at this point i dont think he is trying to proof innocence, he has the army, courts, parliament, at this point he just trying to demonstrate to the public how good this country can be under his rule, without any alternatives.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

The good news is that the bridge is finally open. I never understood why the bridge is in that spot, something to do with opening up that part of the Province for Vietnamese trade I guess. It is the only bridge across the Bassac south of Takamau. Has anyone seen the works on Highway 21 that leads to the new bridge?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ky Tech, lawyer, with an unbeatable explanation for bringing another lawsuit against Kim Sok : "...when someone expresses themselves, it affects us and makes us hurt.”

PM Files Second Lawsuit Against Uncowed Commentator
| February 17, 2017 |

Prime Minister HE’s lawyers slapped political commentator Kim Sok with a second lawsuit on Thursday, as Mr. Sok said he would ignore a summons to appear for questioning today and continue speaking out.

“If they want to add 100 cases, add 1,000 cases, my stance will be the same,” Mr. Sok said on Thursday outside the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. “If you want to take it to boiling point, let’s do it.”

Mr. HE filed the first $500,000 suit on Monday, accusing Mr. Sok of claiming in a Radio Free Asia interview on Saturday that the ruling party had killed analyst Kem Ley.

The prime minister’s lawyer, Ky Tech, returned to court on Thursday to file a second lawsuit demanding 10 million riel, or about $2,500, for comments Mr. Sok made in a subsequent interview on Monday blaming a government-affiliated “network” for Kem Ley’s July murder.

“Kim Sok continues to violate the law toward the government,” Mr. Tech said. “We don’t exaggerate​ and accuse and put the blame on any individual. It is not only to the prime minister. Even for the rest of us—when someone expresses themselves, it affects us and makes us hurt.”...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/pm-f ... or-125323/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Another one in jail...

Analyst Kim Sok arrested, jailed after showing up for questioning
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... uestioning

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Injustices as a form of retribution form a huge part of the Cambodian culture. Was anyone really surprised?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

taabarang wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:16 pm Injustices as a form of retribution form a huge part of the Cambodian culture. Was anyone really surprised?
Not at all, it just seems to be getting a lot more blatant recently.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic