How long can you make Thai Visa last?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

How long can you make Thai Visa last?

Post by snookieboi »

Apart from the 1 year, Thai retirement visa, how long can i make a normal Thai visa last?

1.Being a British cutizen, i automatically get 1 month free. I presume i then can extend for a month, or must leave?

2. Then outside of Thailand i can apply for a Thai Visa, which will give me 2 months that i can extend for 1 month (3 months total)???

3. So then, i leave and repeat(= another 3 months total??)

4. Can someone help clarify?
More than just any old backpacker.
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Re: How long can you make Thai Visa last?

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

5 months.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

LionsLeftTesticle wrote:5 months.
How would you do it?

If you were British do you get free 30 days, then extend that=2 months?/ THEN LEAVE, get tourist visa, return with 2 months, and extend extra month=3 months?

:popcorn:
More than just any old backpacker.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Get a free tourist visa, valid for 60 days, extend in country 30 days 1,900 .....travel to Laos, Burma, Malaysia, Cambodia, Australia get another tourist visa 60 days, extend 30 days,...so ur up to 6 months
repeat as needed
MOST embassies will issue 3 tourist visas in a row, than u head to another embassy in another country till they finally stamp your passport that no more tourists visas allowed
could take years and after about 6 tourist visas expect to be questioned at immigration.

You can also get married
have a thai kid..dont need to get married
go to school

OR apply for a multi entry 6 month tourist visa in ur home country,( hoops need to jump thru) get up to 8 months out of it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

snookieboi wrote:
LionsLeftTesticle wrote:5 months.
How would you do it?

If you were British do you get free 30 days, then extend that=2 months?/ THEN LEAVE, get tourist visa, return with 2 months, and extend extra month=3 months?

:popcorn:

Tourist visa + extension = 3 months

Then 2 quick in outs for 2x30 days.

Obviously you can stay much longer on more than one tourist visa.

Like years and years, even if you need to do ed visa after a few years.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

A customer came into my bar a few days ago saying that the Thai immigration computer system was now much more integrated as of last December.
He said that you could stay in Thailand for only six months in a twelve month period and that now the computers were picking up anyone who had stayed longer than that, and refusing entry.
If this is true it's going to have a dramatic effect on Thai visa runners I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

jah steu wrote:A customer came into my bar a few days ago saying that the Thai immigration computer system was now much more integrated as of last December.
He said that you could stay in Thailand for only six months in a twelve month period and that now the computers were picking up anyone who had stayed longer than that, and refusing entry.
If this is true it's going to have a dramatic effect on Thai visa runners I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not true, they tried that a few years ago but it never went into effect. but yes the computer sometimes work. some people have posted on TV that after 6-7 back to back tourists visas they are pulled aside at immigration an asked what they are doing or 2 years of visa exempt entries by air ( than told to get a propper visa).NONE so far have been refused entry
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Ricardo,

Think I said on other thread but do visa exempts definitely extend for 30 days?

Got thinking 1900 for 30 days cheaper than laos or Cambodian visa + bus journeys for 60 days.

So that would be 7 months no visa run.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

LionsLeftTesticle wrote:Ricardo,

Think I said on other thread but do visa exempts definitely extend for 30 days?

Got thinking 1900 for 30 days cheaper than laos or Cambodian visa + bus journeys for 60 days.

So that would be 7 months no visa run.
the longest you can stay in country inc extensions is 3 months before you have to leave the country, you cant stay for 7 months solid unless you have one of the 1 year visas or retirement visas but still even them you have to do 1 border run a year or something if im not mistaken
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

yes 30 days
after 90 days u would need Leave the country and get
another free tourist visa ( till August)
or re enter with a visa exempt stamp

I had to do my 90 day report yesterday, loads of tourist were getting their 30 day extension on their 30 day visa exempt stamps
1 year visas or retirement visas but still even them you have to do 1 border run a year or something if im not mistaken
HUH?? I NEVER have to leave if i dont want to :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic