Hong Kong to ease visa restrictions for Cambodians.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Hong Kong to ease visa restrictions for Cambodians.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Hong Kong set to ease visa rules
Thu, 26 January 2017
Yesenia Amaro

Hong Kong plans to relax traditionally stringent visa requirements for Cambodian nationals hoping to study and work there, changes that could go into effect in the next few months.

Mackenzie Mak, a spokesperson at the Security Bureau of Hong Kong’s Special Administrative Government, this week confirmed the move, first announced by Hong Kong chief executive Leung Chun-ying during a 2017 policy address earlier this month.

“It is our target to implement the arrangement within the first quarter this year,” Mak said via email on Tuesday, declining to offer specific details or to say whether Cambodia will be removed from a list of seven countries on which Hong Kong currently imposes strict immigration requirements.
Cambodia is on that list along with North Korea, Cuba, Afghanistan, Laos, Vietnam and Nepal.

Cambodian national Sayyon Nara yesterday said pursuing his undergraduate degree in Hong Kong had involved a great deal of struggle with immigration officials.“They gave me only one chance to study there, and I wasn’t allowed to renew my visa, if I wished to further my” education, he said.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/h ... visa-rules
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Hong Kong to ease visa restrictions for Cambodians.

Post by Luigi »

I suspect this is a ploy do drain Cambodia of it's brain trust. As explained in a CEO News report;

Cambodia In Bottom 10 on World Talent Index

Postby CEOCambodiaNews » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:25 am
The Cambodia Daily
Cambodia In Bottom 10 on World Talent Index

by George Wright | January 27, 2017

Cambodia is one of the 10 worst countries in the world for growing, nurturing and retaining talent, according to the latest ranking by one of the world’s largest graduate business schools.

The fourth annual Global Talent Competitiveness Index prepared by INSEAD, a business school with campuses across the globe, assesses a population’s level of vocational and technical skills.

Cambodia was ranked 108th out of 118 countries in the list — sandwiched between Cameroon and Nigeria — and received dire scores across the board. Last year, Cambodia ranked 96 out of 109.

For vocational and technical skills, Cambodia was ranked the fourth worst in the world. It came in fifth from bottom in “global knowledge skills,” which analyzes the knowledge of workers in professional, managerial, or leadership roles that require creativity and problem solving.

Cambodia is also ranked 108th on employability, which includes “ease of finding skilled employees” and availability of scientists and engineers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic