US Military Still Ranks As World's Strongest

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

US Military Still Ranks As World's Strongest

Post by Bertros »

I was a little surprised the UK wasn't on this list but it only goes to #6. While I think we (the US) need a strong(ish) military, I personally think we spend way too much on it. the numbers here are a bit difficult to understand. it notes we have 800 bases in 70 country's. I question if this is really necessary.....or that useful. lots of folks seem to stir up plenty of trouble with much smaller budgets. I also think the euro country's should pony up more for NATO--even if we gave up some of the authority. (Russia's gotta go through them first, right? :evil: )

Newly appointed Defense Secretary James Mattis spoke Tuesday with NATO's chief to discuss military spending and international anti-terror tactics under President Donald Trump.
Trump, who took office Friday, has criticized the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), calling the international military alliance "obsolete." He also wants other NATO countries to increase their contributions, as the U.S. is by far the largest financial backer.
Pentagon spokesperson Jeff Davis said Mattis and NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg discussed "shared values." Stoltenberg's office said they "agreed on the fundamental and enduring value" of the treaty.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us- ... ailsignout

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
Last edited by Bertros on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: US Military Still Ranks As World's Strongest

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Why the hell would the UK be anywhere on that list? You thought the British empire still existed or something? British society and and the UK's influence as a whole have diminished significantly from the 50s to 70s and the place is now of similar importance to countries such as Canada, Australia and Italy... Any Brit who tries to tell you otherwise is living in the past.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

why would any cuntry need such a big military anyway? just mind your own business and shut the hell up, if ISIS wanted an islamic state let them have it, let those muslim kill among themselves, good riddance i would say.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Total isolationism doesn't work. Tried it in the past - result was 2 world wars. So policy was reversed. World wars since 1946? Zero.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

:popcorn:
JDMPRO777
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JDMPRO777 »

(...I think we (the US) need a strong(ish) military, I personally think we spend way too much on it. the numbers here are a bit difficult to understand. it notes we have 800 bases in 70 country's. I question if this is really necessary.....or that useful.)

--If you bought a Lamborghini would you leave it in a Walmart parking lot?
The embassy is our Lambo and the country is our garage. Of course they are not needed. They are there to say "we won" "we are here" "now what?"
Just how we are wired.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

JDMPRO777 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:15 am
The embassy is our Lambo...
Why is Jamie an embassy?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

JDMPRO777 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:15 am

--If you bought a Lamborghini would you leave it in a Walmart parking lot?
The embassy is our Lambo and the country is our garage. Of course they are not needed. They are there to say "we won" "we are here" "now what?"
Just how we are wired.
What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Why are you buying Italian embassies?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Bertros wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:28 pm I was a little surprised the UK wasn't on this list but it only goes to #6.
UK is ranked fifth!

The strongest armies in the world: 2017 edition

5. United Kingdom

This powerful nation dates back to the 17th century when it was still named the English Army. In fact, the name ‘British Army’ was coined in 1707. As a big part of the nation’s formation is Her Majesty’s Armed Forces, which the soldiers are proud to be part of. It is unique in the sense that Queen Elizabeth II actually acts as the Commander-in-Chief. There are 150,000 active personnel in the British Army and around 180,000 in reserve duty. The British Military has recently fought in Afghanistan, Iraq, and is currently carrying out bombing missions in Syria.
http://www.worldation.com/opinions/stro ... 7-edition/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic