Vietnam around Tet?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
jeremybw1
Tourist

Vietnam around Tet?

Post by jeremybw1 »

Planning a trip to Hoi An and HCMC and was planning to leave about a week after the start of Tet. Wondering if I should wait a little longer to ensure businesses are open and such?
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Vietnam around Tet?

Post by bolueeleh »

some businesses closed up to 15 days, better to wait and come after that for the full experience
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Some businesses may close 2 weeks but most places (restaurants) I've talked to are closing 3 to 5 days within the official holidays that run from January 26 to February 1.

If you arrive in the time after that, you may have problems with the masses returning to the cities: traffic jams, clogged stations and airports. I imagine Monday the 6th will kind of be the first "normal" day.

So, yeah, I agree that's it's better to wait and come after that.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Agreed, transportation will be the problem with like 50 Million people on the move. Best avoided. I hear that the last few days people are typically spending 2-3 hours to check in at the airports.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Good advice, was gonna take a trip there myself right about now. Will wait a couple of weeks!
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

I've always thought of viet nam around the tet...to be 'offensive'

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic