Internet Meltdown

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Internet Meltdown

Post by rubberbaron »

The past few days our internet connection has come to a virtual standstill. On calling our provider - Metfone - they gave us a song and dance about the undersea cable from the US/Europe being broken. Now that would affect all other providers as well. So how is your connection with the other providers?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Internet Meltdown

Post by hanno »

It does effect all providers across Vietnam and Cambodia. The ISP here in CHau Doc told us it would be fixed by the 18th.
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

https://www.vietnambreakingnews.com/201 ... -problems/
Vietnam’s Internet speed sluggish following multiple cable problems

January 11, 2017
Internet speed in Vietnam has been hampered following a series of problems along three separate submarine cable systems of the country.

Internet speed in Vietnam has been hampered following a series of problems along three separate submarine cable systems of the country.

The Intra Asia (IA) cable network was broken on Tuesday morning, compromising services provided by Interne t operators in Vietnam, especially Viettel, the state-owned enterprise managed by the Ministry of National Defense, which is heavily reliant on this system.

The IA underwater cable system was launched in late 2009, connecting Singapore, Vietnam, the Philippines, Hong Kong and Japan.

Prior to the incident, a power loss was recorded along a section of the Asia America Gateway (AAG) cable off the southern beach city of Vung Tau on Sunday while leakage also occurred along the Asia- Pacific Gateway (APG) in Singapore.

The AAG is a 20,000-kilometer-long underwater communications cable, connecting Southeast Asia with the U.S. mainland across the Pacific Ocean via Guam and Hawaii.

The APG links 8 countries and regions in the Asia-Pacific, namely Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Mainland China, Japan, and South Korea.

Internet speed in Vietnam was significantly impacted by the series of incidents as many users reported sluggish speed, especially when trying to connect using foreign servers.

Speaking with Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper, representatives from local service providers said the problem would not last long thanks to back-up connections.

Accordingly, VNPT-VinaPhone redirected its traffic to the China-Southeast Asia Terrain Cable System (CSC), and the SMW3 (Southeast Asia – Middle East – Western Europe 3).

A representative from Viettel also said that the firm had utilized its back-up systems as soon as the problem along the IA network was detected.
My Opennet connection is working ok - not brilliant but it hasn't come to a stop.

To the UK I am getting Ping : 370ms D/L : 1.25 Mb/s U/L : 0.1 Mb/s

Normally I would get Ping : 250ms D/L : 5.00 Mb/s U/L : 0.5 Mb/s

so as I say still useable but running at about 20% of normal
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Use Digi here and hadn't noticed any issues. My connection is 5Mbps down / 20 up.

Speedtest to London:

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

hanno wrote:It does effect all providers across Vietnam and Cambodia. The ISP here in CHau Doc told us it would be fixed by the 18th.

AFFECT.

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bertros wrote:
hanno wrote:It does effect all providers across Vietnam and Cambodia. The ISP here in CHau Doc told us it would be fixed by the 18th.

AFFECT.

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"The past few days our internet connection has come to a virtual standstill. On calling our provider - Metfone - they gave us a song and dance about the undersea cable from the US/Europe being broken. "

Yep, I had a lot of connectivity problems. I noticed that even if I couldn't get out they were always able to send their tacky little horoscopes and special deals. They could have just as easily notified users of the problems. Time to switch provider.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

The speed is back to normal since last night.
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

Been close to smashing computer a few times over last few days.

Good to see only temporary.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

It's bad here in Thailand, too. I have two providers and they're both frustratingly bad.

It's all down to the fact THREE undersea cables are not functioning: the cursed Asia America Gateway; the Intra Asia to HKG; and the brand new Asia Pacific Gateway, which just came online and promptly went down.

News today: http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/39036/vie ... 7-carriers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic