Help translating an idiom

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Help translating an idiom

Post by superferret »

Kayve, thanks that makes it lot clearer. Can I ask you a couple more?
I still don't understand the difference between Aing and Neek who referring to "you".
Also if I'm the father figure of khmer kids would I refer to myself as knyom when addressing my kids? Or rather something like "Pa'aing"
and then should I use "anyj" when I'm angry at them? The fact I'm a foreigner is not relevant here, they treat me like their own father.
Also, do you know until what age can kids be referred to as "Vya" ?
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

superferret wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:43 pm Kayve, thanks that makes it lot clearer. Can I ask you a couple more?
I still don't understand the difference between Aing and Neek who referring to "you".
Also if I'm the father figure of khmer kids would I refer to myself as knyom when addressing my kids? Or rather something like "Pa'aing"
and then should I use "anyj" when I'm angry at them? The fact I'm a foreigner is not relevant here, they treat me like their own father.
Also, do you know until what age can kids be referred to as "Vya" ?
If you're talking to your kids, it's more of a familiar way to speak.

You can refer to yourself at the third person (so calling yourself just "Pa").
If the fact that you're a foreigner isn't relevant, then you can go full khmer and use "Anyj". But somehow "Anyj" always pair with "Haing".
So if you call yourself "Pa" then you should call them "Kon", and if you say "Anyj" then you should say "Haing" when addressing to them.

Exemple :
"Son, (you) go to study"
"Kon aing tov rean tov" ("aing" here means specifically this son)

"Sons, go to study"
"Kon tov rean tov" (in plurial, you can't really use "aing", it uses to design someone precisely)

"Dad, did you eat ?"
"Pa (aing) nham bay nov?" ("aing" is optional here, you can use it or not, it more like a way of speaking depending of the speaker habits)

You can refer to anyone younger than you as "Vya" usually, it's familiar and somehow not that respectful.
I know some people who refers to their own kids by "Kwat/Kouat" everytime they talk about their kids haha, in this case I think I should not use "Vya" when I'm talking about their kids with them :wink:
Don't forget the water buffalo
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Wow you're confusing me, is Haing a different form than Aing? I haven't heard that before.
So I don't get it, do some families use Anyj Haeng and others Pa Koun? Or does Pa revert to Anyh and koun to Haeng when Pa's angry or
wants to make clear who's in charge and then goes back to Pa Koun when the kids are good again?
Thanks for the info on Vya, any thoughts on Neek vs Aeng? My guess is you can call a stranger Neek, but you wouldn't call people you know that?
Sorry to ask so many questions, there really is no good explanation of this anywhere.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

superferret wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:57 am Wow you're confusing me, is Haing a different form than Aing? I haven't heard that before.
So I don't get it, do some families use Anyj Haeng and others Pa Koun? Or does Pa revert to Anyh and koun to Haeng when Pa's angry or
wants to make clear who's in charge and then goes back to Pa Koun when the kids are good again?
Thanks for the info on Vya, any thoughts on Neek vs Aeng? My guess is you can call a stranger Neek, but you wouldn't call people you know that?
Sorry to ask so many questions, there really is no good explanation of this anywhere.
'Haing/Haeng' means "you" in a really informal way (like to someone of lower status kinda)
'Aing' means more like "self/oneself". If you say "Neak Aing", it's a polite way to say "you", you could've just say "Neak". Usually "Neak" is indeed use for stranger or to show politeness.

I think you got the points/nuances of that.
It all depends on background and families, some families (educated one mostly) never use "Anyj/Haeng" meanwhile people from "lower" background will use it all the time.

See you after your banning period :lol:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kayve wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:12 pm
superferret wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:57 am Wow you're confusing me, is Haing a different form than Aing? I haven't heard that before.
'Haing/Haeng' means "you" in a really informal way (like to someone of lower status kinda)
'Aing' means more like "self/oneself". If you say "Neak Aing", it's a polite way to say "you", you could've just say "Neak". Usually "Neak" is indeed use for stranger or to show politeness.

I think you got the points/nuances of that.
It all depends on background and families, some families (educated one mostly) never use "Anyj/Haeng" meanwhile people from "lower" background will use it all the time.

See you after your banning period :lol:
yeah exactly,
the language you use all depends on the people your are speaking to, your familiarity to them, their age and social status too, there is no set universal rule thats used for everyone, there are a lot of contributing factors
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic