Help translating an idiom

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
boom
Tourist

Re: Help translating an idiom

Post by boom »

ភ្លើតភ្លើន ស. ( កិ. ) រីករាយ​សប្បាយ​ហួស​ពេក

ភ្លើតភ្លើន - to be overjoyed, to be overwhelmed with joy
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

boom wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:31 pm ភ្លើតភ្លើន ស. ( កិ. ) រីករាយ​សប្បាយ​ហួស​ពេក

ភ្លើតភ្លើន - to be overjoyed, to be overwhelmed with joy
ahh you wrote ភ្លឺតភើ្លន before, thought it might have been a spelling mistake
but yeah ភ្លើតភ្លើន sounds right, although they mentioned it translated to flickering lights or something, but the ភ្លើន could go with what they said about it being a put down
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
CBEQ
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CBEQ »

Haha, after reading this I told my wife about it. I said meul muk khnyom aoii cham (jom), and then said it in English. She said it was meul muk khnyom aoii chbas. I normally have a very joking tone when speaking Khmer, so I said meul muk khnyom aoii chbas (very serious tone) then paused and said Khnyom dong ey te! (in a more funny tone because I was improvising and trying to make a sentence out of it.) and she laughed her ass off.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

CBEQ wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm Haha, after reading this I told my wife about it. I said meul muk khnyom aoii cham (jom), and then said it in English. She said it was meul muk khnyom aoii chbas. I normally have a very joking tone when speaking Khmer, so I said meul muk khnyom aoii chbas (very serious tone) then paused and said Khnyom dong ey te! (in a more funny tone because I was improvising and trying to make a sentence out of it.) and she laughed her ass off.
lol, im about to start translating your song, ill post it up later in the newer thread and tag you in it mate :thumb:
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Can anyone explain the anyh vs. knyom
and aing vs neek distinction?
I always thought the anyh was a familiar form used within families or such, but apparently it's not. I understand they don't use knyom in this case
because knyom originally meant "servant", but is anyh arrogant sounding?
If you call someone aing is it less polite than neek?
Also like why do you always hear "Knyom chang baan", and never hear "Anyh chang baan" and things like that?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

superferret wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:52 pm Can anyone explain the anyh vs. knyom
and aing vs neek distinction?
I always thought the anyh was a familiar form used within families or such, but apparently it's not. I understand they don't use knyom in this case
because knyom originally meant "servant", but is anyh arrogant sounding?
If you call someone aing is it less polite than neek?
Also like why do you always hear "Knyom chang baan", and never hear "Anyh chang baan" and things like that?
ill put it in order of formality

អញ (Anyh) < ឯង (Aing) < ខ្ញុំ (Khnyom)
"Anyh" can be used when addressing an inferior, younger or very close friends/family of similar age or younger,
"Aing" is intimate for friends and family,
"Khnyom" is the more formal,
Tbh i find "Nyom" (Khnyom with the Kh dropped) is the more common informal alternative, or the word Khnyom just gets dropped from the sentence all together

theres also "Neak" "Aing" "Kluan" that can also mean I/You/Person/Self and are often either used together to mean like You (yourself) or Me (Myself)

probably doesnt answer your confusion though lol
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Thanks Jamie, that's very useful. So "Aing" is both used for you and me? I know you would say like "Oun aing" or "Pa aing"
So my question is, if you're within family, how do you refer to yourself, like if I'm the father, when referring to myself speaking to my kids
would I say "Anyh" or "Aing", and I would call my kids "Oun aing?" Is this correct? I've always used "knyom" but apparently that's not the best.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

superferret wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:54 pm Thanks Jamie, that's very useful. So "Aing" is both used for you and me? I know you would say like "Oun aing" or "Pa aing"
So my question is, if you're within family, how do you refer to yourself, like if I'm the father, when referring to myself speaking to my kids
would I say "Anyh" or "Aing", and I would call my kids "Oun aing?" Is this correct? I've always used "knyom" but apparently that's not the best.
yeah mate, Aing is often used as the word for "self"... "Mneak Aing"- myself, "Kluan Aing"- myself/yourself

the only difficult thing with me in these contexts is that im only 30,
so my language is often either casual with friends or respectful to elders,
i dont have my own children or anything so i dont really need to use language that stamps my authority as an elder or someone that is of high respect,

unless im speaking with people i dont know or someone im addressing as Pu or older, i would mostly just use "Nhyom" without the"Kh", i find Khnyom sounds a bit too formal sometimes and doesnt roll off the tongue as smoothly, i find Colloquial Khmer similar to Northern English where words get merged together and letters get dropped off words to shorten them etc so i guess it feels more natural haha
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

That's correct, and Phnom Penh dialect is like a whole other language, they don't tell you that, I've been with people from other places and suddenly I understand
about 2-3x as much as I do with PP people.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Just don't use "Anyh" as a foreigner and also avoid people that use "Anyh" when talking to you.

"Aing" can refer to "self", you can even go by "Neek Aing".
"Knyom chang baan" - "I want"

"Anyh chang baan" - If you use "Anyh" that means you're talking to someone who's supposed to be "submissive" to you, you wouldn't say "I want" but order the one you're talking to, to go/do what you want.
For exemple, if you want sugar, you would say (in this circumstance) "Haing Yor Skor Mok" - You, bring the sugar !, it implies that you want the sugar.
That's not nice to hear though.

Hope, you understand my explanations haha :beer3:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic