Important Conjunction Words

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
thelost
Expatriate

Important Conjunction Words

Post by thelost »

I think these conjunction words are very important.
They are like the mortar that holds the bricks together. Without mortar, the bricks fall apart. But then I think some conjunction words are not necessary used as we all know spoken language sometimes drop these words...

so I think these are the most common?

And so.... - jeng heuy.....

So then....... - jeng heuy gor....

just .... - terb... for example "he just got home" " vea terb mor pteah heuy"

Please feel free to share what you know from conversation experience. And please feel free to correct me too.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Important Conjunction Words

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

thelost wrote:I think these conjunction words are very important.
They are like the mortar that holds the bricks together. Without mortar, the bricks fall apart. But then I think some conjunction words are not necessary used as we all know spoken language sometimes drop these words...

so I think these are the most common?

And so.... - jeng heuy.....

So then....... - jeng heuy gor....

just .... - terb... for example "he just got home" " vea terb mor pteah heuy"

Please feel free to share what you know from conversation experience. And please feel free to correct me too.
youve mentioned you can read/write khmer, it would be good if you could add this to your examples as well,
i personally am no longer a fan of romanized khmer tbh
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
thelost
Expatriate

Post by thelost »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: youve mentioned you can read/write khmer, it would be good if you could add this to your examples as well,
I know what you mean, I guess from now on, I'll write both in Khmer script and Romanised for others like taabarang.
You know, I have wondered why Khmer teachers teaching spoken Khmer didn't write colloquial Khmer in Khmer, instead of writing the correct written words and pronouncing differently?

ចឹងហើយ - Jeng heuy - and so / because of that so (depending on context) / that's it

example ចឹងហើយវា​មិនសម - jeng heuy wea min som - "because of that" not acceptable

example ចឹងហើយ! - jeng heuy! - that's it!!

ចឹង jeng is similar to ហ្នឹង nung in term of "that/this" but it's more stronger/emphasis while nung is more softer.

example ហ្នឹងហើយ!​ - nung heuy - of course / yes thats it
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

thelost wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: youve mentioned you can read/write khmer, it would be good if you could add this to your examples as well,
I know what you mean, I guess from now on, I'll write both in Khmer script and Romanised for others like taabarang.
You know, I have wondered why Khmer teachers teaching spoken Khmer didn't write colloquial Khmer in Khmer, instead of writing the correct written words and pronouncing differently?

ចឹងហើយ - Jeng heuy - and so / because of that so (depending on context) / that's it

example ចឹងហើយវា​មិនសម - jeng heuy wea min som - "because of that" not acceptable

example ចឹងហើយ! - jeng heuy! - that's it!!

ចឹង jeng is similar to ហ្នឹង nung in term of "that/this" but it's more stronger/emphasis while nung is more softer.

example ហ្នឹងហើយ!​ - nung heuy - of course / yes thats it

right so your saying that the order goes something like this នេះ/នេាះ >> ហ្នឹង >> ចឹង depending on how much emphasis you want to put across :thumb:
thelost
Expatriate

Post by thelost »

I think so, yes. However I think the word ហ្នឹង is much more flexible as it can be used in other ways or just as a filler at the end of the sentence (no meaning).

Like for example ទៅណាហ្នឹង? tov na nung?

maybe someone who is fluent khmer speaker can confirm this? is there really any native khmer speaker in this forum?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

thelost wrote:I think so, yes. However I think the word ហ្នឹង is much more flexible as it can be used in other ways or just as a filler at the end of the sentence (no meaning).

Like for example ទៅណាហ្នឹង? tov na nung?

maybe someone who is fluent khmer speaker can confirm this? is there really any native khmer speaker in this forum?
prahkeitouj is a khmer poster
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"thelost wrote:
I think so, yes. However I think the word ហ្នឹង is much more flexible as it can be used in other ways or just as a filler at the end of the sentence (no meaning).

Like for example ទៅណាហ្នឹង? tov na nung?"

Well I'm certainly no native speaker but I can verify that. However any of the locals will tell you that while it has no meaning it has function.
Namely it softens the sentence rendering it more polite than " tau na". Also frequently said in our village is Ta na neung?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thanks for the blast from the past UT. I had forgotten why I stopped contributing rural idiomatic speech for so long. Fuck book savy pedants.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
thelost
Expatriate

Post by thelost »

well after reading the conversation from the link provided, i think my conclusion is that what taabarang learnt, is the speech of kompong chaam people, that's how they talk, you can say peasaa nek kompong chaam ភាសាអ្នកកំពង់ចាម.

we have to remember that every province in cambodia have their own way of speaking and pronunciation, and the textbook does not really accurately reflect "peasaaa niyeay" or "everyday talking" of a provincial person.

the textbook only reflect how to speak in a "formal neutral" way in situations like working in the office, government purposes, something formal and serious.

if i say something like វាស្នមហើយ អត់ចាំបេនធើអីទៀតទេ! - vea snom heuy , ot jam ben ter ey teat te. - it's alright, no need to do anymore. that's accent that's not correct by text book standard. i don't think you will be able to find "snom" "jam ben" in the dictionary, because it's dialect word.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic