What kind of medicine to cure people who live in the past?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: What kind of medicine to cure people who live in the past?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

prahkeitouj wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
John Bingham wrote:LSD is good for this.
What is LSD?
Lysergic acid diethylamide
I never heard about it but just checked Wikipedia . It is a drug and useful for mind control. It meant that people live in the past have mental problem ?
mental scars will last forever,
considering the majority of brain control is subconscious,
we have little control over it,
one way to "cure" as such is by distraction,
and have the mind focus on something else,
but that doesnt stop random incidents opening up old wounds and reminding of that past pain
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Kuroneko wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Username Taken wrote:She doesn't need medicine. She needs to get a life.

Find a new hobby or interests.
Get out more and enjoy 'the now'.
Maybe she needs a boyfriend.

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
― Lao Tzu
She has a good boyfriend now. She was cheated by her ex-bf and her ex-bf messaged her that he is going to married soon and wants to invite her.
I told her "past is the past. Why you lets that guy bother your feeling? Now she has a good life." But still she talks with other friends about her ex bf. Maybe she wants her present boyfriend become her ex-bf one day.
Good answer. There are many reasons for "living in the past" syndrome such as reliving past traumatic experiences. You indicate that in this case it is failure to let go of a previous emotional attachment. This may help you assist your friend:
How to Let Go of a Past Relationship: 10 Steps to Move On Peacefully

'Nine years ago my heart was in a million little pieces that formed the basis for a million regrets. I had my first serious relationship in college, when all my insecurities came to a head. My ex-boyfriend had to juggle multiple roles, from therapist to cheerleader to babysitter. The whole relationship revolved around holding me up. I realized this soon after it ended—that I’d spent three years expecting someone else to love me when I didn’t love myself. The guilt and shame kept me single for almost a decade. http://tinybuddha.com/blog/how-to-let-g ... y-move-on/

It is good to cures yourself by these way.Yes, everyone has their own past. I heard it said time cures everything. It isn't true. It doesn't work without trying to cure by ourselves. But I don't know how help my friend get over from it untill she wants to help herself.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:

― Lao Tzu
She has a good boyfriend now. She was cheated by her ex-bf and her ex-bf messaged her that he is going to married soon and wants to invite her.
I told her "past is the past. Why you lets that guy bother your feeling? Now she has a good life." But still she talks with other friends about her ex bf. Maybe she wants her present boyfriend become her ex-bf one day.
Good answer. There are many reasons for "living in the past" syndrome such as reliving past traumatic experiences. You indicate that in this case it is failure to let go of a previous emotional attachment. This may help you assist your friend:

'Nine years ago my heart was in a million little pieces that formed the basis for a million regrets. I had my first serious relationship in college, when all my insecurities came to a head. My ex-boyfriend had to juggle multiple roles, from therapist to cheerleader to babysitter. The whole relationship revolved around holding me up. I realized this soon after it ended—that I’d spent three years expecting someone else to love me when I didn’t love myself. The guilt and shame kept me single for almost a decade. http://tinybuddha.com/blog/how-to-let-g ... y-move-on/

It is good to cures yourself by these way.Yes, everyone has their own past. I heard it said time cures everything. It isn't true. It doesn't work without trying to cure by ourselves. But I don't know how help my friend get over from it untill she wants to help herself.
having mental demons you cant just cure easy
you can distract the mind and hide them
but they can and do return
it can be hard for others to understand,
if theyve never been plagued with the demons themselves,
some people are strong and can just forget and move on
others it can really effect them mentally
everyones different, you must just be understanding and supportive
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:

― Lao Tzu

having mental demons you cant just cure easy
you can distract the mind and hide them
but they can and do return
it can be hard for others to understand,
if theyve never been plagued with the demons themselves,
some people are strong and can just forget and move on
others it can really effect them mentally
everyones different, you must just be understanding and supportive
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What kind of medicine to cure people who live in the past?

Post by prahkeitouj »

@JL, last forever ? I know it isn't easy to cure but I hope it won't last forever. It is hard to tell someone that he or she has mental demon. It is such not easy to accept for them. If she keeps thinking and talking about it, she isn't happy. It is like a lesson if we recite it many times then we will remember for long.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

prahkeitouj wrote:@JL, last forever ? I know it isn't easy to cure but I hope it won't last forever. It is hard to tell someone that he or she has mental demon. It is such not easy to accept for them. If she keeps thinking and talking about it, she isn't happy. It is like a lesson if we recite it many times then we will remember for long.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
if she keeps thinking and talking about it, she wont be happy
as i mentioned about distraction
encourage her to do things, do things together, with her partner
the brain is a very complex thing
what is it that shes actually talking about, and what is she worried about?
what is it thats bothering her?
if i knew these things i could be able to give better advice
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

prahkeitouj wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
What is LSD?
I never heard about it but just checked Wikipedia . It is a drug and useful for mind control. It meant that people live in the past have mental problem ?
You can have amazing insights and epiphanies about yourself and your life on LSD. It has been shown to be effective in the treatment of alcoholism, for example. Unfortunately due to its illegal status it's considered a "bad" drug.

Not that I would recommend it in this case. But you never know.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

prahkeitouj wrote: It is good to cures yourself by these way.Yes, everyone has their own past. I heard it said time cures everything. It isn't true. It doesn't work without trying to cure by ourselves. But I don't know how help my friend get over from it untill she wants to help herself.
Its also said that time cures nothing unless you move along with it. And your quite correct that unless you can assist your friend to participate in her "healing process" you are not likely to get very far.

One method often used is motivational interviewing, ie you are motivating your friend to change. Here you look at both the good points and bad points of (in this case) hanging onto the previous relationship and how it is affecting her present life, and hopefully get the person to realise that it is in her best interest to move on for the better.

"Brain scientists suggest nearly 20 percent of us suffer from “complicated grief,” a persistent sense of longing for someone we lost with romanticized memories of the relationship. Scientists also suggest this is a biological occurrence—that the longing can have an addictive quality to it, actually rooted in our brain chemistry."

As a result, we tend to remember everything that was good and forget all the bad. The objective is to look at both the good and bad aspects and break the "addictive" cycle.

I think it could be useful to work with her on the 10 points listed in this article http://tinybuddha.com/blog/how-to-let-g ... y-move-on/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

prahkeitouj wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
What is LSD?

mind control LOL :beer3:
mind freedom
the past often defines the future
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

― Lao Tzu
Rubbish, she just needs somebody like Trump to vote for. Should give her a bit of relief for a couple of months anyway.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic