PP traffic officers warned that corruption must stop.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

PP traffic officers warned that corruption must stop.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

PP police chief warns corrupt traffic officers
Fri, 30 December 2016
Yesenia Amaro and Lay Samean

Phnom Penh Municipal Police chief Choun Sovann has warned traffic police officers that they will be fired and punished under the law if they are caught taking bribes, an official said yesterday.

Sovann made the threat during a meeting with traffic police on Wednesday, according to municipal traffic police chief Chev Hak, who said Sovann was frustrated that there will still dirty traffic police.

“The punishment for traffic police officials is correct since the [Anti-Corruption Law] exists,” Hak said, adding that he would ensure his officers were more closely monitored to check if they take bribes.

Sovann could not be reached for comment.

Run Roth Veasna, head of the public order department at the Ministry of Interior, said Sovann also asked for the Anti-Corruption Law to be used against police, and that he welcomed his appeal. “He called on the traffic police officers in Phnom Penh, and educated them one last time,” Roth Veasna said. He said traffic police make on average $200 to $250 a month in salary, but often handed out fake citations to people to supplement that income...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/p ... c-officers
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: PP traffic officers warned that corruption must stop.

Post by hanno »

He said traffic police make on average $200 to $250 a month in salary, but often handed out fake citations to people to supplement that income...
I had a staff that resigned to become a traffic officer. When I asked him if it was because of the money, he told me no; he would actually get no salary the first year and had to pay for his uniforms. But he paid to be put on duty at one of the major crossroads in Temple Town. Make of that what you will.
TheFriar
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by TheFriar »

On a semi-related note... In a conversation with a hotel manager recently; on what he did before he became a hotel manger:
"I used to be a colonel in the army, but I sold that." (Delivered deadpan, nothing amiss as though one was talking about their previous history owning a soup stand)

Soooo, perhaps, if cops could stop paying for plum locations/jobs; and to climb the ladder; they could (not necessarily would) stop needing to take cash payments???
tonetone420
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tonetone420 »

Traffic cops are scumbags and I highly doubt this appeal by the police chief will have any impact. Its just too big of a source of income to pass up.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

tonetone420 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:50 am ...I highly doubt this appeal by the police chief will have any impact. Its just too big of a source of income to pass up.

I alway figured they were just like people who work for tips... but with guns.
You could be next.
tonetone420
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tonetone420 »

And they're probably the guys who couldn't hack it to become one of the cops in green uniforms. Although I have seen checkpoints where there are none of them are armed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic