iSmart International School of Sihanoukville (Bad Review From Female Teaching English in Cambodia)

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

iSmart International School of Sihanoukville (Bad Review From Female Teaching English in Cambodia)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sihanoukville, Cambodia: iSmart International School has been accused by a female English teacher of not paying her the money they owe her.

She claims they have refused to give her $580 that she deserves for work that she's done.

She first posted about her dispute with iSmart International School of Sihanoukville on social media back on December 16, and since she presumably still hasn't been paid has started sharing her story again.

She seems to personally blame the manager there by the name of Ivy Marie.

Here is her story:

FULL STORY:
Spoiler:
Beware of Ismart international school in Sihanoukville they don't pay their staff!

I agreed to do cover work here for a friend at very short notice, put all my plans on hold and was told by Ivy the manager I would get paid $8hr for 3 hour’s teaching work every morning 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Paid on 10th of each month.

I spent money on petrol getting to and from the school twice a day as i don’t live in town (which Ivy knew) and I spent my own money on materials for class as the school has a severe lack of classroom supplies and materials.

They refused to even reimburse me for these fees!

On the second to last day of my work Ivy who employed me tried to force me to take my friends job without even speaking to the person whose job it was first and also asked me to lie for her an not tell the persons whose job it was (my friend).

I declined the job as I clearly told Ivy many times before and during the cover work I’m busy after finishing cover work until January and I don't appreciate being made to feel awkward and asked to lie.

She is now refusing to pay my wages of $580.
Very unprofessional run school. I have since had her and the rude Indian owner man who refused to give me his name threatening me via phone if I name and shame them.

Saying they will cause big problems for me if I do anything about it. Not sure what they mean by that!

Ivy runs this school very unprofessionally Not once did Ivy even do a police check or even check my passport or ID to make sure I was who I said I was, during the weeks I worked in the school or before in my interview.

As a school with very young children I found this very strange and bad security plus bad care for a so called international school.

I only agreed to do this cover work as a favour for my friend and the school I did not expect to be treated like this and to be left out of pocket.

I am no longer able to do what I had planned now due to Ivy’s lies which has been very distressing for myself and my family.

This has stressed me out so much now as I had so many better job offers during the 6 weeks I was working that I wish I took now.

Karma always catches up with people like this but I just hope this message stops anyone else being scammed by this school.
Another English teacher who says she worked at iSmart International School of Sihanoukville for 6 months says she has no doubts about her story being true:

"I am so sorry you experienced this, Amy. I worked for this school for six months, and I don't doubt a word of what you say.

I spent a lot of money and effort there, I feel deeply sorry for the students and parents that put theor trust in this failing institution.

I have heard from a few parents about how they were happy with your teaching.

You deserve to be paid.

I wish you the best of luck. You have been treated unfairly. Feel free to contact me personally if you continue having trouble getting your fair pay. ♡
"
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Bad Review of iSmart International School of Sihanoukville (From Female Teaching English in Cambodia)

Post by hanno »

Seems like Cambodia is heading the same way like Vietnam a few years back: pretty anybody can open an "International" school and a lot of less than savory people will do so. There were lots of school owners that disappeared over night with all the fees, teachers did not get paid, same thing about no background checks etc. Like in Cambodia, a lot of people absolutely wanted to send their kids to these schools as the local schools suck...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Bad Review of iSmart International School of Sihanoukville (From Female Teaching English in Cambodia)

Post by General Mackevili »

What kind of name is iSmart anyways?

If you asked a kid "where do you study English?" and they reply "I smart" or "ice mart" it will sound like they're making no sense at all.

And the Google image of the place doesn't even look like a school. I guess I shouldn't expect much from an "international" school in Cambodia without a website and a Facebook Page with 1 like.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Apparently Ivy is a Filipina named Ivy Marie Acla. I hope she responds on that thread or here to give her side of the story.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i have a freshly laid turd if anyone is interested only $5

no?

ok how about an iturd?
only $15?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Bad Review of iSmart International School of Sihanoukville (From Female Teaching English in Cambodia)

Post by General Mackevili »

Cam Nivag wrote:Apparently Ivy is a Filipina named Ivy Marie Acla. I hope she responds on that thread or here to give her side of the story.
Yeah, or the owner of iSmart School. It seems they would have to be in on it too, as Pixie says they won't contact her about it either.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

so.... I was just wondering what was up with the mask?

anybody else?

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Cosplay! It's fun.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Bertros wrote:so.... I was just wondering what was up with the mask?

anybody else?

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
She went to a Halloween party.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

lol I'm in the TV advert for this school, playing the guitar. I have never taught there though, I just made the advert for a bit of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic