Lower driving age/no license required

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Lower driving age/no license required

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:
taabarang wrote:"its the British sense of humour, Americans generally are too sensitive."

Well bullshit. More British snobbery based on an ignorance of the rich tradition of humor in America. Besides the more refined repartee we have international contributions galore. One example is the black "yo mama" jokes from their riff of "playing the dozens.". Most British humor we find "too dry". We won't laugh not because we don't get it but rather because we find it unfunny. A kind of slapstick for constipated people.
As a french and worst best friend of your two nations, I can objectively tell that you mainly find it unfunny because you still don't get it...

:horse:
yeah british humour is very Dry i agree, but you only find it unfunny because you dont get it... and thats why you dont understand what real banter is, because americans are too sensitive, take it too personal, take it too seriously, thats why you find it un funny, because you dont get the humour behind it

if you want to know the extremes of banter, you try working on a British Building site, a yank wouldnt last 2 minutes, you definitely need thick skin to survive on one, Auzzys sure, they get banter... Yanks though... sorry mate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_piss
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"you definitely need thick skin to survive on one, Auzzys sure, they get banter... Yanks though... sorry mate."

Somehow I have every confidence in our ability to survive everything British except the lamentable slop they call cuisine.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

taabarang wrote:"you definitely need thick skin to survive on one, Auzzys sure, they get banter... Yanks though... sorry mate."

Somehow I have every confidence in our ability to survive everything British except the lamentable slop they call cuisine.
That we can all agree on, english included. They might even joke about it since in Europe we also appreciate auto derision humor.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote:"you definitely need thick skin to survive on one, Auzzys sure, they get banter... Yanks though... sorry mate."

your ability maybe... ive never met ya, so thats why im speaking about americans in a more general tone, ive got american friends im not trying to be insulting
some Americans can get banter, the vast majority though, cant

heck even Family Guy uses more British style humour and Seth MacFarlane has even said
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/news/ ... amily-guy/
MacFarlane added that British Family Guy fans "get" the show's humour better than Americans.

"You guys get a lot more of the jokes than in the States. A lot of it goes over the heads [of Americans]."
:roll:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

First I don't feel you're in any position to talk about" the vast majority of Americans." And shall I consider this is an understated form of British apology, "your ability maybe... ive never met ya, so thats why im speaking about americans in a more general tone, ive got american friends im not trying to be insulting
some Americans can get banter, the vast majority though, cant."

I don't feel the cultures are identical but I think this is a false and typically British insulting attitude resulting from an unfounded sense of superiority.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote:First I don't feel you're in any position to talk about" the vast majority of Americans." And shall I consider this is an understated form of British apology, "your ability maybe... ive never met ya, so thats why im speaking about americans in a more general tone, ive got american friends im not trying to be insulting
some Americans can get banter, the vast majority though, cant."

I don't feel the cultures are identical but I think this is a false and typically British insulting attitude resulting from an unfounded sense of superiority.

its a quite well known thing, known by both sides, apart from you, go check out on youtube, lots of videos of americans and brits getting together and discussing it lol
a part of me is pulling your leg as well
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

and yet I still don't know if I can drive a less than/equal to a 125 cc moto w/o a license.

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RE: Re: Lower driving age/no license required

Post by epidemiks »

Bertros wrote:and yet I still don't know if I can drive a less than/equal to a 125 cc moto w/o a license.

just sayin'

Bertros Image
I'm riding a temporary little scooter thing at the moment, I'll see if I can get myself pulled over tomorrow and see what happens.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

epidemiks wrote:
Bertros wrote:and yet I still don't know if I can drive a less than/equal to a 125 cc moto w/o a license.

just sayin'

Bertros Image
I'm riding a temporary little scooter thing at the moment, I'll see if I can get myself pulled over tomorrow and see what happens.
a number of my friends been pulled over the past couple of weeks, none have been fined for no license, or even asked for that matter
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
epidemiks wrote:

just sayin'

a number of my friends been pulled over the past couple of weeks, none have been fined for no license, or even asked for that matter
Jamie, if you don't mind elucidating a bit.... were they stopped at the 'std' road side police set up where they wave over lots of folks and were they actually in some sort of violation (helmet or otherwise) that caused 'fine'?

just curious

Cheers

A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic