Sihanoukville airport is being renovated.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sihanoukville airport is being renovated.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

And what better day to start work than 24 December in the middle of the Sea Festival.

Coastal airport gets an overhaul
Fri, 23 December 2016
Cam McGrath and Cheng Sokhorng

Renovation work on Sihanouk International Airport will commence on Saturday, with the expansion of the airport’s runway and terminal building aimed at increasing its capacity to handle up to 500,000 passengers a year.

Khek Norinda, communications director of Cambodia Airports, the French company that holds a concession to operate the Kingdom’s three international airports through 2040, said the upgrades aim at accommodating the rapid growth of passenger traffic.

Last year, more than 4.8 million tourists visited the Kingdom, with throughput at Sihanouk International Airport growing 118 percent to 94,630 passengers.
In October, the airport broke the 100,000 passenger a year mark for the first time and appeared on course to serve a projected 150,000 passengers in 2016.

Work will also be carried out to strengthen and widen the airport’s single 2,500-metre-long runway, and will include a new taxiway “to improve airside capacity and accommodate larger aircraft”. A plan to extend the runway will also be studied.
Sinn Chanserey Vutha, spokesman of the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation, said while the runway was long enough to handle even large aircraft, such as a Boeing 737, its tarmac was not sufficiently equipped and the existing taxiway did not provide enough room for these aircraft to manoeuvre.

“The expansion plan will [increase the airport’s capacity] to handle huge aircraft from European and Australia, as [the runway] will be able to handle at least 80 tonnes and these aircraft will able to use the taxiway,” he said.

According to Cambodia Airports, the terminal and runway expansions are scheduled to be completed by the end of 2017 or early 2018...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/c ... ign=buffer
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Re: Sihanoukville airport is being renovated.

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

The chinks are coming :dragonchase:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:And what better day to start work than 24 December in the middle of the Sea Festival.

Fri, 23 December 2016

Renovation work on Sihanouk International Airport will commence on Saturday, with the expansion of the airport’s runway and terminal building aimed at increasing its capacity to handle up to 500,000 passengers a year.

Khek Norinda, communications director of Cambodia Airports, the French company that holds a concession to operate the Kingdom’s three international airports through 2040, said the upgrades aim at accommodating the rapid growth of passenger traffic.

Last year, more than 4.8 million tourists visited the Kingdom, with throughput at Sihanouk International Airport growing 118 percent to 94,630 passengers.
In October, the airport broke the 100,000 passenger a year mark for the first time and appeared on course to serve a projected 150,000 passengers in 2016.

Work will also be carried out to strengthen and widen the airport’s single 2,500-metre-long runway, and will include a new taxiway “to improve airside capacity and accommodate larger aircraft”. A plan to extend the runway will also be studied.
Sinn Chanserey Vutha, spokesman of the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation, said while the runway was long enough to handle even large aircraft, such as a Boeing 737, its tarmac was not sufficiently equipped and the existing taxiway did not provide enough room for these aircraft to manoeuvre.

“The expansion plan will [increase the airport’s capacity] to handle huge aircraft from European and Australia, as [the runway] will be able to handle at least 80 tonnes and these aircraft will able to use the taxiway,” he said.

According to Cambodia Airports, the terminal and runway expansions are scheduled to be completed by the end of 2017 or early 2018...

The landing strip will never be successful for larger aircraft unless millions and millions of dollars are spent on stabilizing the slurry and water on which it sits.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:The chinks are coming :dragonchase:
:plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@Duncan
Are you suggesting that the runways are built to the same standards as the roads ?
That is a truly scary thought. :shock:
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Anchor Moy wrote:@Duncan
Are you suggesting that the runways are built to the same standards as the roads ?

I am a close friend to the former airport director in place during the first renovation round. He told me it was very good.
Also it is Vinci that did the job and they are one of the (if not) the leading worldwide airport operators.
Duncan assertions sound a but dubious if he can't back them up.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

B737s and A320s are short to medium range aircraft. Large aircraft are ~ 150 to 400 tonnes max takeoff weight and require ~3000 meters (10.000 feet) at sea level in hot climates. An A320, with payload, from Europe to Cambodia would have to go down twice for fuel on its way. PAX from Europe, US and Australia will have to come in via PP or BKK for some time to come. Parts of China can make it on direct flights. Macao, Shenzhen, Hong Kong und Taipei spring to mind. The Philipinos can make it on an A320 as well.Ma
Duncan wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:And what better day to start work than 24 December in the middle of the Sea Festival.

Fri, 23 December 2016

The landing strip will never be successful for larger aircraft unless millions and millions of dollars are spent on stabilizing the slurry and water on which it sits.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

Worldwide I see a lot of Swissport and Fraport management at bigger airports, along with others. Vinci I have not conciously seen. I know I can google up a link, but where are they from?
Barang_doa_slae wrote:

I am a close friend to the former airport director in place during the first renovation round. He told me it was very good.
Also it is Vinci that did the job and they are one of the (if not) the leading worldwide airport operators.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

OKW wrote:Worldwide I see a lot of Swissport and Fraport management at bigger airports, along with others. Vinci I have not conciously seen. I know I can google up a link, but where are they from?
Barang_doa_slae wrote:

France of course ! :mrgreen:

Actually my bad it seems they are the fifth biggest worldwide.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

:D , of course, good one. Come to think of it I might have seen them in France and some former french colonies. Do you think there is a corelation here somewhere? :wink:
Barang_doa_slae wrote:
OKW wrote:Worldwide I see a lot of Swissport and Fraport management at bigger airports, along with others. Vinci I have not conciously seen. I know I can google up a link, but where are they from?
Barang_doa_slae wrote:

France of course ! :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic