Malcolm Stanley JONES, British, died in RS Mart PP.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Malcolm Stanley JONES, British, died in RS Mart PP.

Post by OKW »

now it is Honduras. El Salvador and Guatemala were the ones before that.
Raybull wrote:
OKW wrote:I travel a lot, so I am not in Thailand nor in Cambodia at the moment. But have lived and worked in both. There were at least two jumps in Cambodia while I was there, and a lot of bad drugs and od s. Also drunk driving, no helmet etc etc contribute to the toll. I am just saying that most barang death are self inflicted, some are murder. Nothing to get too excited about, as some can't wait for a body count. I have lived in places with the highest murder rate per capita, those numbers were an impressive 40 fold. No tourism, no expats and no war. There I did check my 6 o'clock often. No need here in Asia apart from the Phil's. I did not suggest that the OP deceased died of drugs.
So which one is it?
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neigh ... hborhoods/
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

just opened the link, I was only referring to murder per capita. The US and Europe are pretty safe that way.
OKW wrote:now it is Honduras. El Salvador and Guatemala were the ones before that.
Raybull wrote:
OKW wrote:I travel a lot, so I am not in Thailand nor in Cambodia at the moment. But have lived and worked in both. There were at least two jumps in Cambodia while I was there, and a lot of bad drugs and od s. Also drunk driving, no helmet etc etc contribute to the toll. I am just saying that most barang death are self inflicted, some are murder. Nothing to get too excited about, as some can't wait for a body count. I have lived in places with the highest murder rate per capita, those numbers were an impressive 40 fold. No tourism, no expats and no war. There I did check my 6 o'clock often. No need here in Asia apart from the Phil's. I did not suggest that the OP deceased died of drugs.
So which one is it?
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

OKW wrote:now it is Honduras. El Salvador and Guatemala were the ones before that.
Raybull wrote:
So which one is it?
Right, per capita, the Central American countries are pretty high up there. Honduras has always been sketchy, spent six months there in '99 on the islands diving and traveling the mainland, just the drug death murder count was around 4000 per year iirc, but the blow was still dirt cheap. All in all I spent 2 or so years travelling in CAm countries, was fun at the time cause I was near fluent in Spanish back then, but having just visited a couple countries there earlier this year, I could never live there i think. People are pretty outgoing relative to Asia, but the 'macho attitude' is annoying! I do have a few friends that live in Guatemala worry free, but they're just surf bums with some small properties on the Pacific.
Drug and organised crime gangs are far more prevalent there.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

Roatan and Utila, beautiful. The smaller the island the safer they are usually. 2012 Honduras was crowned to be #1 world wide death per capita.Don t think anyone beat them yet. Mid nineties it still was pretty safe. Even El Salvador was lots better.I would not normally have come to Asia, but once I had stayed for a while I got used to a few things and more and more began to realize how safe and relaxed one can be there. 15 years of warzones also made me appreciate this.
Raybull wrote:
Raybull wrote:
So which one is it?
Right, per capita, the Central American countries are pretty high up there. Honduras has always been sketchy, spent six months there in '99 on the islands diving and traveling the mainland, just the drug death murder count was around 4000 per year iirc, but the blow was still dirt cheap. All in all I spent 2 or so years travelling in CAm countries, was fun at the time cause I was near fluent in Spanish back then, but having just visited a couple countries there earlier this year, I could never live there i think. People are pretty outgoing relative to Asia, but the 'macho attitude' is annoying! I do have a few friends that live in Guatemala worry free, but they're just surf bums with some small properties on the Pacific.
Drug and organised crime gangs are far more prevalent there.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Yeah, you do have to appreciate the relative safety of Asian countries as a whole, slight exception to the Philipinnes and S. Thai. Then again shit can hit the fan pretty quick anywhere if you're looking for it, Asia or the Americas!
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

:thumb:
Raybull wrote:Yeah, you do have to appreciate the relative safety of Asian countries as a whole, slight exception to the Philipinnes and S. Thai. Then again shit can hit the fan pretty quick anywhere if you're looking for it, Asia or the Americas!
peppermintpaddy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by peppermintpaddy »

RIP Malcolm......I have only recently been told of his death,I worked with him and his son last year...he was a good bloke,seemingly very fit for his age,and carrying little weight......great sense of humour.....I'm shocked....rip Malc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic