Scammers on the increase in SR

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
2000rielpineapples
Expatriate
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:43 pm
Reputation: 0

Scammers on the increase in SR

Post by 2000rielpineapples » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:14 pm

One dodgy tuk tuk just just approached me as i was sitting silently drinking a beer, He sayed.

where u stay?

u wan weed?

what name your hotel?

how long u stay?

all before he even asked me my name.

dumbshit scammer was after a setup for sure.

SR pub street is beginning to turn into khao san rd.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Posts: 4266
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 1:06 pm
Reputation: 465
Korea North

Re: Scammers on the increase in SR

Post by kiwiincambodia » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:19 pm

So basically the tuk tuk was being like 90% of all other tuk tuks that wait in tourist areas?

Whats new again?
Check out my website for all things Kiwi in Cambodia at https://tiny.cc/j410iy
aussieguy100
Expatriate
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:42 pm
Reputation: 10

Scammers on the increase in SR

Post by aussieguy100 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Why is this a setup? Sounds like the usual tuk tuk spiel - you want weed, girls, boys, young girls etc etc. They usually deliver, though of unknown quality...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 8201
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 3992
Yemen

Re: Scammers on the increase in SR

Post by John Bingham » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:25 pm

Image
Silence, exile, and cunning.
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 8201
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 3992
Yemen

Re: Scammers on the increase in SR

Post by John Bingham » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Image

Image
Silence, exile, and cunning.
OKW
Expatriate
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:07 am
Reputation: 8
Location: worldwide
Angola

Re: Scammers on the increase in SR

Post by OKW » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:37 pm

only users are typically paranoid enough to see a scam or setup anywhere they go. Most tuk tuks operate the same way, just conducting their daily business. The ones that don't know me I openly approach with :"I don't need a girl, don't need weed, and hell I don't need a katoy. Pub Street please, HOW MUCH"??? They normally smile, name a reasonable price and off we go. But good to finally have an idea what Khao San Road would be like. Have not yet managed to see it myself.
OKW
Expatriate
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:07 am
Reputation: 8
Location: worldwide
Angola

Re: Scammers on the increase in SR

Post by OKW » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:38 pm

:Yahoo!:
John Bingham wrote:Image
2000rielpineapples
Expatriate
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:43 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: Scammers on the increase in SR

Post by 2000rielpineapples » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:41 pm

they try and act like they know ya but you know ya never met em before but they still then proceed start firing off question after question?

where you from? how long you stay cambodia,...? where you stay? what nane hotel?
u wann weed? smoke rock? no i dont and i didnt want it last year or 5 minutes ago.


5 minutes later? hey you wan tuk tuk? weed?

1 minute later. etc, etc. .
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 5153
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1413
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: Scammers on the increase in SR

Post by hanno » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:49 pm

2000rielpineapples wrote:they try and act like they know ya but you know ya never met em before but they still then proceed start firing off question after question?

where you from? how long you stay cambodia,...? where you stay? what nane hotel?
u wann weed? smoke rock? no i dont and i didnt want it last year or 5 minutes ago.


5 minutes later? hey you wan tuk tuk? weed?

1 minute later. etc, etc. .


Strange, never happens to me....
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3606
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 708

Re: Scammers on the increase in SR

Post by Kuroneko » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:14 pm

hanno wrote:
2000rielpineapples wrote:they try and act like they know ya but you know ya never met em before but they still then proceed start firing off question after question?

where you from? how long you stay cambodia,...? where you stay? what nane hotel?
u wann weed? smoke rock? no i dont and i didnt want it last year or 5 minutes ago.


5 minutes later? hey you wan tuk tuk? weed?

1 minute later. etc, etc. .


Strange, never happens to me....
If you went out looking like the chap below it most likely would :lol:

Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bona eek, cautious colin, Cooldude, Freightdog, Ghostwriter, Google [Bot], Jerry Atrick, NitNoi, Old8404, Province, ssian, whatwat, yong and 293 guests