SHV Foreigners living in the dumps (ie.40-60$ rooms)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
2000rielpineapples
Expatriate

Re: SHV Foreigners living in the dumps (ie.40-60$ rooms)

Post by 2000rielpineapples »

Raybull wrote:
Duncan wrote:
Raybull wrote:
2000rielpineapples wrote:
.... and drink+ 50 cent beers and enjoying hot local women.

who are these nerd anyway?
So Mickey's has a happy hour! :lol:
That's the reason I don't go there . I only go to places that have a happy half hour. One hour is soooooooo long for us old guys.
...but all the 'hot local women' are there, they always hit up those 50c hh places. Surely you could spend a full hour with 2krp without slashing your throat. On second thought...
what a snob you are.

go back to thailand and be a snob
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Don't take it so seriously mate! Find the nearest tuk tuk, wait...make that a motodup, tell him to head to Pub St, again wait... make sure to tell him Khmer Ktv Pub St, make sure you cross the highway. You're wise with the ways of local transport pricing so I can assure the trip is only a few minutes so bargain appropriately. Proceed to pick a suitable locale, (don't worry about the prices, all pitchers are 7-8000r, if your driver seems friendly enough maybe invite him aswell, but beware he may order cans, even worse, expensive ABC cans), proceed to pick a couple girls either on the way in or later when seated depending on the type of set up and/or your level of comfort in such native surroundings. Be sure to order atleast a couple plates of native fare, frogs are great, maybe a can of crickets from a passing seller. If you've chosen a more sing a song type of place, do try to sing 'Tov yok pdey barang', don't worry the locals will not take much offense, and your 'date' may be well enamoured with your native linguistical skills. Afterwards, If your companion is still agreable, In your now slightly inebriated state you may wish to take her to your shared abode, however you should reconsider. She will know a suitable place for 10000r nearby. I she doesn't wish to ultimately leave with you, a friendly 5000r will ensure a safe escape, although your next welcome may not be so hospitable. The odds of meeting either a wanker, or a YOLO, or a snob, should be quite low. Enjoy!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Raybull wrote:Don't take it so seriously mate! Find the nearest tuk tuk, wait...make that a motodup, tell him to head to Pub St, again wait... make sure to tell him Khmer Ktv Pub St, make sure you cross the highway. You're wise with the ways of local transport pricing so I can assure the trip is only a few minutes so bargain appropriately. Proceed to pick a suitable locale, (don't worry about the prices, all pitchers are 7-8000r, if your driver seems friendly enough maybe invite him aswell, but beware he may order cans, even worse, expensive ABC cans), proceed to pick a couple girls either on the way in or later when seated depending on the type of set up and/or your level of comfort in such native surroundings. Be sure to order atleast a couple plates of native fare, frogs are great, maybe a can of crickets from a passing seller. If you've chosen a more sing a song type of place, do try to sing 'Tov yok pdey barang', don't worry the locals will not take much offense, and your 'date' may be well enamoured with your native linguistical skills. Afterwards, If your companion is still agreable, In your now slightly inebriated state you may wish to take her to your shared abode, however you should reconsider. She will know a suitable place for 10000r nearby. I she doesn't wish to ultimately leave with you, a friendly 5000r will ensure a safe escape, although your next welcome may not be so hospitable. The odds of meeting either a wanker, or a YOLO, or a snob, should be quite low. Enjoy!

Khmer Pub Street :beer3:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I was gob smacked when I found that every child was worth near 10K a year, doesn't matter how many you have. Housing is cheap in Cairns, my renovated one bedder is worth 120K. But rates and Body Corporate fees are about $3500 a year, so it costs me $120 a week to live in my own place. But this is a complex of 42 units in a slightly dodgy part of town.
Only five residents own their units, the absentee landlords are slum lords. The basic one bed studios are unrenovated and pretty awful with rents from 150 to 185 a week. The social problems here are terrible, we have many ice addicts and number seven is cooking ice most of the time, fifteen metres away. There is domestic violence, kids are removed for a year or more and there is a huge trade in stolen bicycles and ice.
The police attend nearly every day, sometimes three times a day but very few people get removed. It seems that the police condone drug manufacture and selling and a trade in stolen goods. Its highly corrupt here, I run the show and I have the CCTV monitor in my kitchen.
Neither the police or the local member will do anything to help, neighbours gossip just as they do in Cambodia and the authorities are just as corrupt and useless as Cambodia.
But overall the environment is staggeringly beautiful, it is like Hawaii. Beaches, waterfalls, bush and wild animals abound. Food is plentiful and quite cheap, ham is $7 a kilo, prawns $15 a kilo, eggs $3 a dozen and we have all the tropical fruit. We will be earning about 50K a year which is below the poverty line in Australia but we have no debt, schools and doctors are free as are ambulance call outs. One can even get a doctor on call 24 hours a day for free which is amazing. But only of you are poor like us.
So far the Khmers are loving it, it's been six days already! They are on devices all around me now watching Khmer TV and music programmes online after eating a huge feed of fresh fish supplied by a friendly neighbour.
For me now, this is living the dream after nearly ten years in Cambodia.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sounds like a shit place to raise kids
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Yeah, it seems to have all the problems of living in Cambodia, reminds of The Trailer Park Boys show, but all countries have areas like these in the lower socioeconomic areas. The benefits provided by Australia are great, if you could move to a nicer area it would certainly make things easier for you as the kids grow up and will have less exposure to drugs, family problems, etc. I realise all your numbers are in AUD, and that rents are quite high though. That's the killer in most western countries, can hardly buy a 2 br condo for less than half a mil where I come from.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

While the food and natural settings sound very good, my SHV neighborhood is surely a way better place to raise children.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote:sounds like a shit place to raise kids
Yeah, I'm gobsmacked. You moved your wife and kids from Cambodia to a meth-lab trailer park in Australia full of skanky thieves,violence, and abused kids ? And for you, this is an improvement to where you were living in Cambodia ? :shock:

Nice scenery, beaches, tropical fruit and fresh fish we have also.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

As a Westerner who is married you can go and live on the dole in most civilised countries, my mate worked with and NGO in Vientienne in the early 2000s, spoke Lao and Thai fluently, moved back to south Wales of all places, got all the child benefit and whatnot. Can't imagine a person not going crackers having spent a large portion of your life in the "colonies" and then having to live in small town Wales. Another one was Manchester born and bread but spent 15 odd years running a bar in Samui and then mooching about avoiding responsibility, he said every time he went back home he could guarantee to meet the same people sitting in the same chairs in the same pub as they always went. I can't see how you can go back and live amongst bogans and not go screwy.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

:thumb:
cptrelentless wrote:As a Westerner who is married you can go and live on the dole in most civilised countries, my mate worked with and NGO in Vientienne in the early 2000s, spoke Lao and Thai fluently, moved back to south Wales of all places, got all the child benefit and whatnot. Can't imagine a person not going crackers having spent a large portion of your life in the "colonies" and then having to live in small town Wales. Another one was Manchester born and bread but spent 15 odd years running a bar in Samui and then mooching about avoiding responsibility, he said every time he went back home he could guarantee to meet the same people sitting in the same chairs in the same pub as they always went. I can't see how you can go back and live amongst bogans and not go screwy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic