Child labour, should it be banned ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Child labour, should it be banned ?

Post by fax »

Who else will sew my Nike? You?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I think the issue should be: Children should be given the opportunity to have a good education.

If you stop them working, and they are forced to do nothing, that is not a good outcome.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

Exploiting children in any way is immoral but there comes a point where the child is going to be academically inclined or task-oriented.

A strong apprenticeship program would deter at-risk kids and provide opportunities, but it needs to start at 13 or 14 years of age.
lucathenomad
Expatriate
Italy

Post by lucathenomad »

Growing up in Melbourne as a ten year old I used to deliver newspapers before school. I did it for a while because I wanted a new bike my dad wouldn't buy me.
At the time (1978)it was totally legit and at end of week I was very happy and proud of my cash filled envelope with pay slip!
Good memories and never felt exploited
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

It should be regulated, not banned. They should not be overworked, still have a chance at education, and some time to play and be kids.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Street's school is as good as any other school as long as there is no abuse, and the kid is learning something + aware he is helping his family.

So many Indonesian families rely on little help from the little one. It can be ok only when :

- the local school teaching take this into consideration
- he is taught extra common knowledge at the same time, to keep on the classic-learnings track.

Better that than a madrassa or other religious "schools"

Just my 2 cents
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Anthony's Weiner wrote:
explorer wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:18 am I don't know the latest rules in Australia, but I believe anyone over 15 who doesn't want to go to school, can work. There are a few under 15 working in fast food chains part time while going to school.

Should that be banned too?

If it is OK in Australia, is it OK in poor countries?

I think it would be worse if those who leave school were forced to sit around doing nothing.
In New South Wales, you have to go to school from when you turn 6 until you finish Year 10 or turn 17. If you have finished Year 10 but you haven't turned 17 yet, then you need to do one of the following things: do some other form of education or training (like TAFE or an apprenticeship);

School leaving age increases in SA. New laws mean high school students in South Australia will have to continue their education until they turn 17 years old. The school leaving age has been lifted by a year, although students will not have to stay in high school full-time

In Western Australia, the law says you have to stay in school until you finish Year 10, turn 18 or get to the end of the year you turn 17 and a half.

In Victoria, the law is: Your child cannot leave schooling until they are 17 years old. Your child must go to a school campus (or an approved alternative) until they finish year 10

True, you don t know the rules.
You can't leave school and work full time u til 17, but you can work from age 11 in Victoria, or any age in a family business.
When can I start work?
Generally, there is a minimum age of 13 for employment. However to work without a special permit, you must be at least 15. There are some exceptions to this:

There is no minimum age for the employment of children in a family business or in the entertainment industry.

If you are older than 11, you can work delivering newspapers and advertising material or making deliveries for a registered pharmacist.

If you are under 15 it is against the law for an employer to break these conditions:

unless you are employed in a family business, your employer must have a Child Employment Permit.
you can only do light work, such as running errands, office work, gardening, delivering newspapers and being a shop assistant;
you cannot work in door-to-door sales, on a construction site unless it is at lock-up stage or on a fishing boat unless it is in inland waters.
https://yla.org.au/vic/topics/employmen ... -full-time
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic