Laptop buying

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Laptop buying

Post by beaker »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:41 pm
I'd be quite happy using Windows 10, but probably the most annoying thing about Windows is when it chooses to install updates at inopportune times, preventing you from shutting down - or starting up when you want to, making you wait sometimes quite a long time while it gets its shit together.
You can turn the updates off and use a program named Windows Update Mini Tool with it you you download updates when you want and install them when you want. Super easy to use
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

beaker wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:33 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:41 pm
I'd be quite happy using Windows 10, but probably the most annoying thing about Windows is when it chooses to install updates at inopportune times, preventing you from shutting down - or starting up when you want to, making you wait sometimes quite a long time while it gets its shit together.
You can turn the updates off and use a program named Windows Update Mini Tool with it you you download updates when you want and install them when you want. Super easy to use
Even so, won't it still go "please wait while Windows updates" when you start it up the next time?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Dont know if Windows 10 is the same but in Windows 7 you just click on Control Panel, then Window Update then on Change Settings and the following screen appears:

You can then chose one of the four options above
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You can change the settings so it does not update at inappropriate times.

The main reasons I use Linux is because:

It is free. You can save money.

There is a larger range of good apps which are all free.

It is inherently more secure. You dont get viruses and malware. The filesystem is less likely to become corrupted.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:42 pm You can change the settings so it does not update at inappropriate times.

The main reasons I use Linux is because:

It is free. You can save money.

There is a larger range of good apps which are all free.

It is inherently more secure. You dont get viruses and malware. The filesystem is less likely to become corrupted.
Linux Mint over 20.000 apps
iOS over 2 million apps
Android over 2 million apps
Windows over 850.000 apps

So I think the statement the range of apps for Linux is larger is a bit exaggerating.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Using windows with zone alarm, avg, spybot ( all free) i have never gotten a virus or malware

and as above 20,000 apps vs 850,000

It all comes down to personal choice and with 99.9% of software available for free via torrent.
use whatever suits ya
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

You can use a lot of Windows apps on Linux using WINE anyway. There are only two that I missed so much I use this way.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:59 pm i have never gotten a virus or malware
I have not used Windows seriously since Windows XP. With Windows XP and earlier versions, filesystems did become corrupted. You had to reinstall them every so often.

If you gave children a computer with Windows 98, in one or two months they are able to make it unusable. They just click on anything and see what happens.
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:59 pm It all comes down to personal choice
use whatever suits ya
I agree.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I will mention, Android is Linux adapted for smartphones, and is very widely used.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:52 pm I will mention, Android is Linux adapted for smartphones, and is very widely used.
Not really, Android uses the Linux kernel, which was modified by the Android team (not just Google) to fit their needs.

A kernel is not an OS. Just a part of it.

Saying Android is using Linux is like saying an XBOX uses Windows.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic