Laptop buying

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Laptop buying

Post by timmydownawell »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:15 pm What's wrong with Windows 10? Everyone said Apple was better, so they gave you a Spotlight search, and now you're moaning you want a clunky menu back. Although Windows 10 has a perfectly good menu. And you can just Powershell everything.
I only stopped using Windows 10 a couple of years ago after a hard drive shat itself. I installed Linux Mint and haven't looked back.

I'd be quite happy using Windows 10, but probably the most annoying thing about Windows is when it chooses to install updates at inopportune times, preventing you from shutting down - or starting up when you want to, making you wait sometimes quite a long time while it gets its shit together. In Linux, if you see that updates available, you can click it whenever you feel like it, whack in your admin password, and it'll update itself with no restarts or interruptions at all.

When I bought this lappy I saved myself all the hassle of having to transfer all my files etc from the old one to it by just installing the old drive into it and powering it up. Linux does take a bit of faffing about to get everything you want to work the way you want it, but once you have it all set up it's great.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I highly recommend using Linux, and Linux Mint is an easy one to start with. I have been using Linux for nearly 20 years.

Windows is a sophisticated money making scheme. You pay for Windows, usually in the price of the computer. Then you buy Office. Then you buy Antivirus. They dont make it as secure as they could, so they can make money from Antivirus. In Cambodia, many people just use illegal copies, which often malfunction.

Everything in Linux is free. Linux is more secure than Windows by design. Everything you want to know how to do is explained on the internet. There are over 20,000 free apps for Linux Mint. For example, you can do video editing with free apps in Linux Mint.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

@timmydownawell and @explorer , what are you guys using for office stuff, docs, spreadsheets, etc.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

explorer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 pm I highly recommend using Linux, and Linux Mint is an easy one to start with. I have been using Linux for nearly 20 years.

Windows is a sophisticated money making scheme. You pay for Windows, usually in the price of the computer. Then you buy Office. Then you buy Antivirus. They dont make it as secure as they could, so they can make money from Antivirus. In Cambodia, many people just use illegal copies, which often malfunction.

Everything in Linux is free. Linux is more secure than Windows by design. Everything you want to know how to do is explained on the internet. There are over 20,000 free apps for Linux Mint. For example, you can do video editing with free apps in Linux Mint.

Windows is included with most computers an for what i do, is fine for me
( word, excel, adobe Photoshop and Bridge)

antivirus (AVG) is free, along with spybot and zone alarm
Been using copy software as long as i have had computers
never any problem
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 pm @timmydownawell and @explorer , what are you guys using for office stuff, docs, spreadsheets, etc.
LibreOffice comes with a standard Linux Mint installation. It is highly developed software, as good or better than Microsoft Office.

Be aware, if you are sending documents from LibreOffice to a computer using Microsoft Office, you need to "Save As" the appropriate Microsoft Office document.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Why bother with separate AV, Microsoft bought the best one on the market nearly ten years ago and its included in the OS. Also, if it's patching when you don't want it then just change your settings. Not hard. The problem with linux is there's no drivers outside of a small set of hardware and nothing really to match directx if you want to run games. Plenty of free productivity suites out there, even if they are all shit compared to MS Office. Show me something as good as Excel, for example.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 pm @timmydownawell and @explorer , what are you guys using for office stuff, docs, spreadsheets, etc.
Like Explorer I'm using Libre Office, which comes with Mint anyway.

OpenOffice is another free one and is also available for Windows and is also fully compatible with MS Office.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 pm I highly recommend using Linux, and Linux Mint is an easy one to start with. I have been using Linux for nearly 20 years.

For iOS: about 2.100.000 apps available
For Windows: about 850.000 apps available
For Android: about 2.600.000 apps available

Just to put things in perspective.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am Like Explorer I'm using Libre Office, which comes with Mint anyway.

OpenOffice is another free one and is also available for Windows and is also fully compatible with MS Office.
If you are sending documents from any of these other Office suites to a computer using Microsoft Office, you need to "Save As" the appropriate Microsoft Office document.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 pm
LibreOffice comes with a standard Linux Mint installation. It is highly developed software, as good or better than Microsoft Office.

Be aware, if you are sending documents from LibreOffice to a computer using Microsoft Office, you need to "Save As" the appropriate Microsoft Office document.
Libre office is a nice suite, but it lacks the integration of e-mail and integration of cloud. If that's what you need Libre office is a no go unless you change the way you work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic