Laptop buying

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Laptop buying

Post by OKW »

thank u UT, thats what I meant. Somewhow my reslonse did appear in the middle of the quote. Am working on it. :plus1:
Username Taken wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:wow look OKW learned how to use the quote function :plus1: :plus1: :plus1:
Really?

Look closely. His reply is embedded within the quote. Hard to make any sense of it.

At least he's only quoting one time now, instead of the double quotes from last week.

On a positive note, there is progress. :thumb:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

You had better not buy at big shops. I always compare the price before I buy laptop, the big shop more expensive.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
suppliervietnam
Tourist

Post by suppliervietnam »

How ab option
Asus N550JA-SB71T (Intel Core i7-4700M 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, VGA Intel HD Graphic 4000, 15.6 inch, Windows 8 64 bit)
It under 1000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i would not buy it in cambo.
thailand is safe
jmap
Expatriate

Post by jmap »

thanks for the responses. You are encouraging me to do a quick weekend trip to Bangkok :D (will see if I can arrange that then).

If the quick 2 day trip tp Bangkok pushes through will most likely head to IT City/MBK at Pantip Plaza. Hopefully they will be open first weekend of March - no surprise refurbishment please! - so that my quick trip will be smooth. Will make sure then to have all my software sorted out before I leave and will also expect to pay an additional $100 for os.

About the 7% VAT refund, do I just show them my receipt at the airport and then they'll give me cash?

If I end up buying my laptop in PP, Ill avoid the big shops and go with smaller ones, no more ptc and psc then. Will most likely head to Anana or ICE and see if I can find a shop(s?) in Kirirum as well. In case you have personal experience with other smaller shops please post them as well. Although I will most likely limit myself to 4-5 shops and then decide.

side question: @ Bitte_Kein_Lexus, how is the 256SSD working out? good and better than having 1TB if with 8gig ram?

Cheers guys.
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

jmap wrote:About the 7% VAT refund, do I just show them my receipt at the airport and then they'll give me cash?
When you pay the shop you have to ask for the PP10 form. IT City automatically ask if you need one.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1387-vat-refunds
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

MBK is not Panthip Plaza
2 different malls about 2 kms apart
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

MBK and Panthip Plaza are indeed two different Malls. Hence my statement "MBK came up with a big variety and good prices as well". I will not bother to verify the precise distance between the two.
jmap
Expatriate

Post by jmap »

Op00pps thanks for the heads up guys. MBK is definitely not in Pantip.

Its final, we've talked it over and will go to Bangkok, spent a week or two there too just to make it more worth while.

Also decided will just head on to IT city and hope to get what I want there. If not well a lot other options too.

Thanks for the PP10 form tip.

Cheers!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Sorry I'm actually in Thailand at the moment. The SSD is definitely faster than 1tb with 8g ram imo (use to have a 750g with 6g ram).

I wanted light and portable. I store all my stuff in an external HD anyways, but typically all the essentials are easily stored in 256 minus windows. Programs, documents, some pictures and so on.

I honestly wouldn't go to Thailand JUST for a laptop. I can't remember the name of the shop I bought at in PP but could look it up. I've been to Pantip plaza and all the other malls (went there in July this year comparing laptop prices) and really unimpressed. Not sure why people say it's cheaper. Virtually no taxes in Cambodia in the first place, and laptops tend to come from Taiwan or China anyways, so no real savings to be made. A few more mods available I suppose, but nothing mind blowing. If you're already going there for another reason then fine, but if buying a laptop is the main reason, don't go. If you think you're being wise and saving anything by spending 350$ on a weekend trip to BKK to buy a laptop, you're severely mistaken. Even when I worked out the tax refund it didn't appear much cheaper in Thailand, especially given the hassle and all. I'll dig up the name of the shop I bought at. Good experience and they formatted it for me again free of charge after I screwed up my laptop two weeks after buying it by trying to encrypt some partitions. O did notice their external hard drives were more expensive than other shops though. It pays to shop around.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic