You've travelled, so what made you choose Cambodia over the rest?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Re: You've travelled, so what made you choose Cambodia over the rest?

Post by OKW »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:you know sometimes when you meet someone for the first time and you just "click" and become instant best pals.... yeah that happened
:thumb: And you wonder what took you so long to get here... :beer2:
yes, I was right next door for years and just as I had given up on Asia, a job was offered in PP, went, loved it and stayed. It had most everything I was looking for, incl. unpaved roads...... :thumb:
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Hotdigr wrote: I'm in Australia now, first time in 4 and 1/2 years. This place is so fukn sterile, so bland, so regulated,so boring, so fukn expensive. Its "culture" is all about ME, fuk everyone else.
I've been here for 5 days now, remember why I left the place and can't wait to get back home on Sunday.
When I left Sydney at the end of May, I stored half a dozen boxes of stuff in a friend's garage. Some because it was special to me but couldn't come in my checked baggage (weight issues), others because I needed it right until the last day (tools and shit because I was still finishing renovation at my place - I was literally touching up paint before I left for the airport).

Seven months later and I'll soon be heading back to sort out that crap. Sell some, throw/give some away, bring some back to PP. I just cannot see myself living in - as you say - such a bland, boring and expensive place. Feeling right at home here now. No regrets. Got a little project on the go (Timmy Downawell Hotel) or at least it's a work in progress. Lovin' it. Fuck Australia.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

OKW wrote:also got to Bangkok,Thailand first for work. Got tired of the noise, found a job in Phnom Penh and loved Cambodia on impact. Things are kept simple, the language is pleasant to listen to and fashion, jeans and hats, worn buy women are nice.
One of two countries I consider retiring at, the other is in South America.
Yes. South America is an interesting continent with a fair few expats, and the language pretty easy to learn. No doubt that one of Cambodia's biggest draws is the chilled out and relaxed vibe about the place.
More than just any old backpacker.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

happy pizza :twisted:
thru shit to more shit
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:43 pm I do still like the place a lot, it's a mess but I have grown fond of it.
You're in danger of becoming settled and conformist, JB.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I fell in love with the right woman in the wrong country 20+ years ago. Bad health and a love of foreign language acquisition keep me here.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

taabarang wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 2:51 pm I fell in love with the right woman in the wrong country 20+ years ago. Bad health and a love of foreign language acquisition keep me here.
Is the bad health schizophrenia? I ask because you (guys?) posted it twice. :D
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 2:56 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 2:51 pm I fell in love with the right woman in the wrong country 20+ years ago. Bad health and a love of foreign language acquisition keep me here.
Is the bad health schizophrenia? I ask because you (guys?) posted it twice. :D
I think he's making a point - he fell absolutely in love with completely the right woman in totally the wrong country, and very bad health and a complete love of utterly foreign language acquisition thoroughly kept him wholly here.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

He fell in love with bad health? Kinky, but sadism has never really interested me.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"He fell in love with bad health? Kinky, but sadism has never really interested me."

I did ask to have the duplicate posts removed. As for your assertion that you have no interest in sadism, I suggest you reread the bulk of your tacky, snide grammar Nazi posts.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic