You've travelled, so what made you choose Cambodia over the rest?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: You've travelled, so what made you choose Cambodia over the rest?

Post by hanno »

OKW wrote:
hanno wrote:Work. Most of my work isn now in Vietnam and Laos but I still prefer to be based here. Easily accessible airport, frequent flights, nowhere near the pollution or traffic of HCMC or Ha Noi. I am getting a little tired of Temple Town, I was watching an endless parade of Hipsters last afternoon, but a quick trip to Vietnam quickly gets me over it.
hanno wrote:Work. Most of my work isn now in Vietnam and Laos but I still prefer to be based here. Easily accessible airport, frequent flights, nowhere near the pollution or traffic of HCMC or Ha Noi. I am getting a little tired of Temple Town, I was watching an endless parade of Hipsters last afternoon, but a quick trip to Vietnam quickly gets me over it.
Laos is really nice as well, Vietnam is busy and pushy.
Laos is really nice, agreed. However, to work there has its challenges: people are way laid back and the government is very bureaucratic.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

hanno wrote:
OKW wrote:
Laos is really nice as well, Vietnam is busy and pushy.
Laos is really nice, agreed. However, to work there has its challenges: people are way laid back and the government is very bureaucratic.
fully agree, still prefer those challenges over the ones they face daily in Europe. Lots of good restaurants in little Viantienne.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I think even more in LP, where I will be next week:-)
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

hanno wrote:I think even more in LP, where I will be next week:-)
LP is beautiful, so is VV. About half way up from Vientianne by road. BTW, I had some extensive dental work done in Vientianne, it was great. Almost free, they charge a minor fee plus the material. Works a bit like in Cuba. It is at the Vientianne Dental University, big clinic with lots of students and their supervisory dentists working alongside.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

you know sometimes when you meet someone for the first time and you just "click" and become instant best pals.... yeah that happened
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Thanks guys/girls, for the great replies. No doubt that there is something about Cambodia that makes it more 'settleable' than the rest, for a great many. Cambodia is a special kinda place indeed.

BUMP!! :beer3:
More than just any old backpacker.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

What made me choose Cambodia over the rest -
1/The freedom of life.
2/The simplicity of life.
3 The exoticism and excitement off life.
4/ The fact you have to stand on your own two feet to make it work here.
5/ The people, both expat and Khmer.
6/ and YES, how bloody cheap it is!
I'm in Australia now, first time in 4 and 1/2 years. This place is so fukn sterile, so bland, so regulated,so boring, so fukn expensive. Its "culture" is all about ME, fuk everyone else.
I've been here for 5 days now, remember why I left the place and can't wait to get back home on Sunday.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

On TOF a few years ago, someone referred to the current visa rules as being "a mad social experiment" and that about sums things up.

It is mildly surprising that nobody has mentioned recreational drugs or the possibilities of carnal adventures and/or romance (so far.)
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

I arrived twelve years ago to work fell in love with a bar girl and ten years on we are still together
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:you know sometimes when you meet someone for the first time and you just "click" and become instant best pals.... yeah that happened
:thumb: And you wonder what took you so long to get here... :beer2:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic