Foreigner busted for meth?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Foreigner busted for meth?

Post by rick_o'shea »

I heard a foreigner was busted on Friday night at GSM for meth possession. Apparently he's being detained but has been told 10k will get him off the hook.

I see nothing about it in the news.

He was riding a moto that belonged to a Khmer girl I know. The moto has been impounded.

Did anyone hear about this in the news?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Foreigner busted for meth?

Post by Username Taken »

10K for meth? But only 5K for crashing into tuk tuks while drunk driving (and most of that 5K went to the tuk tuk owners not the bib).
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

I'm taking it all with a pinch of salt. Heard it all from the owner of the moto, who tends to bend the truth a little. I don't think the story is a total fabrication though.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Foreigners are probably getting busted and shaken down by the cops regularly in meth central GSM, just because it wasn't reported by the media doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

Cops probably started off at 10k, but will settle for a lot less, even bribes are negotiable in Cambodia.
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

Sure I know this. Unfortunately the young lady who owns the moto will have to cough up to get her wheels back too.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Is she a meth head aswell?
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

I'm not sure. I don't believe so, but I wouldn't bet too much on it. It's not my problem and she is not my responsibility at all. I'm just interested to know if anyone was aware of it. I'll find out more from her if I see her around.

On the subject of foreigners being shaken down all the time, i was out walking on st 19 early this morning, and I was passed by a tuk tuk full of two young backpacker dudes, their luggage, and two military cops! One of the khmers was wearing some kind of riot gear. The barangs looked very sorry indeed.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

rick_o'shea wrote:I'm not sure. I don't believe so, but I wouldn't bet too much on it. It's not my problem and she is not my responsibility at all. I'm just interested to know if anyone was aware of it. I'll find out more from her if I see her around.

On the subject of foreigners being shaken down all the time, i was out walking on st 19 early this morning, and I was passed by a tuk tuk full of two young backpacker dudes, their luggage, and two military cops! One of the khmers was wearing some kind of riot gear. The barangs looked very sorry indeed.
That second story sounds way more interesting! Pics??
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

Update on the meth story. It looks like a typical sting. A Khmer lady on 172 met the tourist, said she could organise some drugs for him. He went to meet the lady who would introduce the dealer on 51. He used the scoopy girl as transport. He scored the drugs in GSM toilet and was immediately patted down by security as he returned to the bar. The Khmer lady that hooked him up was long gone. He was holding the moto key, so the moto was impounded. The scoopy girl has to await the decision of the "may tee vee" which I presume is the gendarme official. It will be interesting to see what if anything makes the papers, and if that resembles the story I got from the scoopy girl at all. Either way, the foreigner is fucked.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"may tee vee" is a lawyer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic