reliable outbound shipping & import duties

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
drvic
Tourist

reliable outbound shipping & import duties

Post by drvic »

Hi folks, I'm Vic from Australia...

Some years ago I started an online spare parts business with the view to be able to eventually migrate my life and my business to a South-East Asian country...

Previously I lived in Thailand part-time for four years, (built a house and bought a car there even) in between flying to and fro for my regular full time job in Oz and maintaining a home on the West coast...

As a way of supporting myself for the eventual move to Thailand, I tested my online business and the ability to efficiently send orders from there, which in it's infancy was quite successful enough that I'm encourage to move forward with the plan...

Nowadays I'm thinking Cambodia is looking more of an attractive proposition than Thailand, and there's a volunteer organization in Cambodia I'd like to become more involved in...

My business model involves importing and holding parts stock and then re-exporting upon recieval of orders. None of my sales would likely to be within Cambodia, all would be re-exported, I recieve orders from customers all over the world, although 70% of orders currently are to Australia.

What I'm trying to find out, is:
1 - reliability of out-bound shipping/export services, usually small parcels, previously I've used Thai Postal Service and/or Australia Post but am thinkiing DHL international would be a more effective service, does DHL exist there, and/or has anyone on the board sent stuff by Cambodia's postal service?

2 - I need a referral to a Cambodian accountant - need to find out if VAT and import duties would be refundable upon re-export. (From the Cambodian government website it does seem VAT would be refundable, but for import duties the information is a little more ambiguous.

Any constructive comments welcome.

Best regards,

V
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: reliable outbound shipping & import duties

Post by SinnSisamouth »

so you import the stock (from where?) then export it again?

isnt that just increasing costs?
especially in cambodia as they tax anything!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

They are installing new xray machine at airport to catch illegal imports, tax is high and shipping out expensive.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

^what Beaker said.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

beaker wrote:They are installing new xray machine at airport to catch illegal imports, tax is high and shipping out expensive.

But is drvic bringing in his products as customer baggage, which is what I think the new xray machine is for,,, or are his products coming in by DHL or other importers via shipping containers ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

dhl is very fast and reliable.
i cannot speak to your other questions
drvic
Tourist

Post by drvic »

SinnSisamouth wrote:so you import the stock (from where?) then export it again?
isnt that just increasing costs?
especially in cambodia as they tax anything!
I import from all over the world depending on what the product line, but mainly from the US...
Increasing cost - So what? The biz model works thus far with similar costs structure, no reason why it won't work from anywhere...
Currently cost structure includes sea freight from Japan to the US, then to me here in Australia. Surprisingly even to me, I even get orders back to the US. So absolute rock-bottom price is not the be all and end all to successfully selling the product, that's more related to good service and building a brand.
Yes, Cambodia taxes stuff, just like anywhere else does, some country's tax much, much more.
From what I read on the Cambodian government website, products "IN TRANSIT" (through Cambodia) can indeed be held in "bond" free of import duty charges, IF being re-exported, and that is exactly the line of enquiry I'm pursuing.
The 10% VAT is definitely refundable - all exports from Cambodia are VAT/GST free... As it is in most countries.
Last edited by drvic on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
drvic
Tourist

Post by drvic »

beaker wrote:They are installing new xray machine at airport to catch illegal imports, tax is high and shipping out expensive.
I have no intention whatsoever of breaking any law, I have run the business legitimately in two countries already.
If you're aware of what shipping costs actually are, or of a good contact that offers such service, please do tell.
drvic
Tourist

Post by drvic »

frank lee bent wrote:dhl is very fast and reliable.
i cannot speak to your other questions
Thankyou for the feedback about DHL... I have utilised them in Thailand too and found their service there good value for money.
drvic
Tourist

Post by drvic »

Duncan wrote:

But is drvic bringing in his products as customer baggage, which is what I think the new xray machine is for,,, or are his products coming in by DHL or other importers via shipping containers ?
There is far too much turnover to even consider bringing in stock as hand-luggage.
I have every intention of of operating a legitimate business. If I felt the need to lie, cheat and steal, I'd re-choose a proper and different business.
Most of my stock currently comes in via either; small lots up to $1k - air-freight - mainly the custom stuff I get out of UK, Germany, Holland, Denmark, whilst main stock lines - relatively small (not sea container) sea-freight consignments out of the US, although am looking for a more direct trade route from the source origin which is actually Japan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic