New 10 year thai visa

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: New 10 year thai visa

Post by phuketrichard »

i will just stick with my 1 year extension,
800,000 in bank or combination with income, needs stay in Bank 3 months and i can fucking spend it all if i wish!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phuket Immigration in the dark over new ‘10-year’ visa

An officer at Phuket Immigration today confirmed that the new 10-year “long-stay” visa for foreigners aged 50 or older announced by Cabinet this week will come into effect next Thursday (Dec 1), but said that the Phuket office had so far ten-year-visa-phuketreceived no official notice about the requirements.

Although the initial query from The Phuket News this afternoon (Nov 25) was received with confusion, the call was finally handed over to one official who agreed to give comment, but declined to be named.

“It is true that the Cabinet has approved this new visa and has also temporarily waived for three months the fees for single-entry tourist visas for certain countries (see story here),” the officer said.

“Both will take effect on December 1, but our office has yet to receive any official notice (about these), so I cannot give any more details on this,” he added...
It also has yet to be made clear whether foreigners already staying in the country on the existing one-year “retirement O-A” visa would be able to apply to stay in the Kingdom under the new visa rules without leaving the country.
Phuket News.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

The financial requirement of 100,000 baht is likely to exclude all but the most affluent. Don't know any 'affluent" people receiving any thing close to only $3k a month in retirement. Sounds like a Wal-mart retirement plan
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the above official is wacko;
why would an immigration official in Pkuket know anything about the new 10 year visa when this new visa is ONLY offered by embassies/consolutes OUTSIDE Thailand.

Reception has been more than positive/confusing on thai visa ( which we all know "they " read)
look for more back peddling.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

For a country welcoming 33 million tourists per year (or, is it 35 million now; the number keeps rising), you would think they might rest on their laurels and bask in the sunshine of their success instead of putting in the extra effort to develop and promote Medical and Wellness Tourism for old folks.

Several conclusions can be drawn:

a) Actual tourist arrivals are lower than the inflated numbers that are reported;

b) The Thai economy is tanking and more tourism is their only hope;

or

c) Both.

Good idea. No point in getting a 5- or 10-year visa for a country that might be an apocalyptic shambles by this time next year.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

I'd be curious to know how many over 50's are residing in Thailand on the 1 year extension to the Non O, it's not a figure I've ever seen or heard quoted.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

EVERY farang retired/living in thailand over 50 is on a NON o visa , before the 90 day period is up, u apply for a 1 year exteniosn based on the non o visa

There is also a non O-A visa, this is a visa issued OUTSIDE thailand for retirement valid for 1 year ( can almost get 2 years)
This new visa is supposedly replacing the 1 year O-A visa
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

Yeah I understand the visa rules Richard, I've been based here part or full-time for 20 years and I'm on the " retirement " non O myself. What I've never heard quoted is the number of people over 50 retired in Thailand and therefore the potential pool this new visa is seeking to draw on. As a total guesstimate I reckon a couple of hundred thousand across the country might not be unrealistic
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I doubt it, most would be on a 1 year extension, NOT an O-A visa

I think this visa is aimed at those Wealthy expats that want something more than 1 year visas/extensions before they fork out 30 million ++ baht for a house
10 years is good for them. Gives them, ( they think), more security they wont be kicked out anytime soon. I dont see why they still require the 90 day check in thou
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

sigmoid wrote:For a country welcoming 33 million tourists per year (or, is it 35 million now; the number keeps rising), you would think they might rest on their laurels and bask in the sunshine of their success instead of putting in the extra effort to develop and promote Medical and Wellness Tourism for old folks.

Several conclusions can be drawn:

a) Actual tourist arrivals are lower than the inflated numbers that are reported;

b) The Thai economy is tanking and more tourism is their only hope;

or

c) Both.

Good idea. No point in getting a 5- or 10-year visa for a country that might be an apocalyptic shambles by this time next year.
I'll go with c) above. In fact, they've also cut the visa-on-arrival price for those nationalities that must pay to enter for a 3-month period in 2017. I don't doubt there's a small percentage of expats who would afford the 10-year visa. But really, $3 million deposit?!? A huge risk, if you ask me, especially as you can't touch it in the first year. Screw that.

And I'm sticking with the annual retirement extension. But I'm not sure I'll be re-applying next summer as I'm outward bound next spring. That's the plan, anyway.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic