Murder charges for booby-trapped battery.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Murder charges for booby-trapped battery.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A man died in Kampong Cham province on Sunday after a large battery he had allegedly been trying to steal in neighbouring Tbong Khmum province exploded, according to police, who said that they were pursuing murder charges because they believed the battery had been purposefully rigged to maim or kill would-be thieves.

The incident occurred at the Sre Siem quarry on Saturday, with the man later dying in a Kampong Cham hospital. Tbong Khmum district police chief Moeng Raiya said the victim, Korn Chanty, 24, tried to steal the battery of a stone-grinding machine from the quarry in Chirou II commune.

The battery was rigged with blasting powder normally used to blast apart rock, and blew off one of his legs when it exploded. Raiya said workers told them somebody at the company had become frustrated with frequent thefts, and in response tried to intentionally harm the perpetrator.

“Though the suspect, before his death, admitted that he had already stolen batteries in this quarry twice, police still regard the case as an intentional murder due to the claims of some workers that the battery was rigged with explosives in order to harm the thief,” Raiya said...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/m ... shift-bomb
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Murder charges for booby-trapped battery.

Post by taabarang »

Yeh, I heard about this in a neighboring village. But you left off this part..."Police officials declined to disclose the name of the company or to specify who exactly in the company the workers accused of creating the makeshift bomb."

In short I'll bet no charges are filed unless the suspect supported the wrong political party.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

taabarang wrote:Yeh, I heard about this in a neighboring village. But you left off this part..."Police officials declined to disclose the name of the company or to specify who exactly in the company the workers accused of creating the makeshift bomb."

In short I'll bet no charges are filed unless the suspect supported the wrong political party.

That's very interesting. It seemed obvious that there was a back story somewhere there. Unusual for police to be so concerned for the thieving masses. I thought they were waiting to see the size of the company's donation to the police orphans' fund.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Presumably the limbless one has fewer connections
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

This is sort of related to the subject: people who die while out thieving.
3 'kids' (ages unknown)died of electrocution while trying to steal krathom from a Thai farmer. He will be tried for manslaughter and illicit drugs.http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/15/t ... ratom-farm

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

So if I catch you robbing I can pulp you with my chums but if suddenly you interfere with my electrical hobby I'm to blame?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

" thought they were waiting to see the size of the company's donation to the police orphans' fund."

Knowing the few facts (I.e. village gossip) I believe I can safety say those contributions were indeed generous. It should be added that having pissed off the party in power in any way would also be grounds for arrest. However it is safe to assume that the owner of the gravel company is beyond suspicion. Maybe a lesser worker/pawn will take the fall.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

There is a lot to be said for home-made burglar traps.

It couldn't be done in countries with do-goodie lawyers, of course.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"It couldn't be done in countries with do-goodie lawyers, of course."

Little chance of that here.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I like it. Thieves get what they deserve. "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." In this case eternity.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic