Kampot river cruise boat runs aground - 4 passengers dead.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kampot river cruise boat runs aground - 4 passengers dead.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From Huy Bunleng's Facebook page:

What is known for the moment, is that there has been another incident with a Kampot night boat yesterday evening, November 14 2016. A boat believed to be carrying around 70 local and international passengers ran aground on a sandbank under Spean Thmey bridge on Kampot Creek. According to reports, several people were thrown off the boat when it hit the sandbank. This lead the passengers to think the boat was sinking, and in the confusion, many of them abandoned ship, jumping into the water.
An elderly Khmer woman died on the way to hospital, cause of death unknown for the moment, and the wife of the chief of the Health Department of the Provincial Police and her small son are reported missing.
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kampot river cruise boat runs aground - 1 dead, 2 missing

Less than two months ago there was a collision between two Kampot tourist boats at night. Fortunately, no one was hurt and the Kampot tourist chief passed it off as an unimportant incident.
But now, two accidents in two months seem to indicate that safety improvements are needed in the Kampot river cruise business. At least one person is dead. Are these boats licensed as riverworthy and controlled for safety ? What about the drivers/pilots ?

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/post144 ... at#p144267
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Local boat drivers should know where the sand bars are.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Username Taken wrote:Local boat drivers should know where the sand bars are.
Sand bars move, disappear entirely & others form. Good seamanship seems missing.

How fast was this boat traveling to throw passengers from vessel?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

It's a total mess :facepalm: Four people dead.

Even for Cambodia, I can hardly believe the level of stupidity and irresponsibility achieved by the boat owner:
Brig. Gen. Makthurith said the boat owner had combined three boats to create a tourist boat.
Four Tourists Die in Boat Accident

Four tourists died on Monday night after a tourist boat ran aground on sand at low tide along the Preaek Tuek Chhu creek in Kampot’s Kampong Bay commune at Kampot town, police said.

Provincial police chief Brigadier General Mao Chan Makthurith said the accident happed at about 9pm on Monday near the Kampot bridge.

“The boat crashed into the sand at low tide after the boat was returning from a visit to see fireflies along the creek,” he said. “When this boat ran aground, it tilted and caused some people to fall into the water.

“At the time, the people on the boat panicked and some of them jumped into the water because they thought the boat would sink.”

Brig. Gen. Makthurith said the boat owner had combined three boats to create a tourist boat. Before the accident, the boat was loaded with about 70 tourists who wanted to see the fireflies.

“This boat was loaded with too many people and that caused it to run onto the sand at low tide,” he said, adding that the boat was also damaged and the boat took on water and sank.

However, police have so far not identified the reason for the boat sinking after it hit the sand, Brig. Gen. Makthurith said. “We do not know if the boat hit a rock or anything on the bottom which caused it to sink.”

Three women and a young boy died. The victims have been named as Phan Yiv, 72, Lim Ang, 46 and Sang Sok Heng, 9, who came from Kampot Town, while the other woman was Sok Sokhom, 61, from Phnom Penh.

Brig. Gen. Makthurith said boat owner Sok Lim, 44, had been arrested, while boat driver Ros Smanh, 55, has fled. Police will make a report before sending Mr. Lim to court...
Full article: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/31971/ ... -accident/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Kampot river cruise boat runs aground - 4 passengers dead.

Post by epidemiks »

IIRC, all of the tourist boats, bar one, that operate from south of the fish market are constructed the same way: two or more boats, planks across and a deck on top.

It's not like those boats started operating last week. If the authorities deemed strapping 3 boats together into a giant tourist catamaran was unsafe, why didn't they act before?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Even for Cambodia, I can hardly believe the level of stupidity and irresponsibility achieved by the boat owner:"

What.reasonable bounds would you impose on greed?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

taabarang wrote:"Even for Cambodia, I can hardly believe the level of stupidity and irresponsibility achieved by the boat owner:"

What.reasonable bounds would you impose on greed?
Fair cop. My first reaction was denial - ''No, they wouldn't - couldn't be that clueless''. Then reality sets in. Of course they could, because until the worst happens, nobody cares.

The Kampot tourist chief has a big responsibility also. Looks like the whole Kampot river cruise set-up is run by cowboys. If there are some reputable outfits out there, then name and unshame by all means.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Sorry, but as far as I can tell money is the new Buddha in Cambodia.

"Looks like the whole Kampot river cruise set-up is run by cowboys."

Sorry again but it appears to me that the whole country is run that way.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The wife and son of the head of the Office of Health, provincial police. (Condolences and regret for the death of the victim)
I think the older woman is his mother-in-law, so three members of the same family. RIP.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic