What it means to be a Republic

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Luigi
Expatriate

What it means to be a Republic

Post by Luigi »

In my musings I came across this. The comparisons were not what I expected\. And i'm still reading.

http://www.governmentvs.com/en/republic ... model-20-4
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What it means to be a Republic

Post by Bertros »

a republic is:"a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch. "

you get to vote for who ever you want.

there's only one name on the ballot.

freedom of choice!

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Unfortunately America's system and government has been taken over by criminals and "We The People" doesn't matter any more. We are no longer a Republic, but a government headed for 1984 (the book.) America has more people in jails/prisons than any other country on earth.(I got sucked into that system, but was saved by an attorney that is fighting the unjust system from within. A 1%er) States in America issue ID/licenses to illegals who can use them to register to vote (I personally saw this.) The media was deregulated by Clinton for his masters so it could be taken over and subverted. The branch's of government (FBI, DOJ, State Dept) that are suppose to protect the American people and enforce the law have been taken over and subverted. The judicial system that is suppose to give every American his/her "day in court" has been taken over and subverted by the very oversight people that are suppose to enforce justice and that is the Bar Associations. Now the judges are nothing more than criminals in black robes.(in milti-million dollar federal slam-dunk win cases, corrupt judge dismissed my cases. One was stoned out of his mind and died two weeks after dismissing my case.)

This is the America, we Americans are faced with, but our forefathers who kicked the rif-raf out of what became our country wrote a wonderful document, The Declaration of Independence. In it, it is stated that once our government becomes corrupt, it is the "Duty" of Americans to throw the corruption out. Yes, its time. And to all you non-American flamers, Yes I advocate the "duty" part of the Declaration of Independence. Our brave forefathers foresaw the corruption that has become our American government. No country on earth has wording to guide its people like is written in the Declaration of Independence. Not one country!

This is just an online forum and most here are not Americans. 99.% of the opinions here are from non-Americans that don't have a dog in this race. The biggest movement in America and unreported by the media is the militia movement. Think why.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed
from time to time with the blood
of patriots and tyrants.
This is its natural manure"
Thomas Jefferson
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Will you be returning to the US of Absurdity to aid your brethren in the fight?
Will you offer your invaluable insight via emails & blogs? Will you walk the talk?
Or will you hide here in Cambodia till those that fought & won & then go proudly stand beside them?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Sailorman wrote: The biggest movement in America and unreported by the media is the militia movement. Think why.
There is plenty of literature and media reports concerning the militia units.

The militia movement is a largely American subculture consisting primarily of disaffected, rural, white, right-wing Christians who believe that the federal government's authority is either broadly abused or outright null and void, and that the American people must form armed paramilitary groups in order to stand up to Washington and make their voice heard. The movement was mostly active in the early-mid 1990s, and appears to be making a comeback in recent years following the election of Barack Obama, though it is not as powerful as it was at its peak. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Militia_movement

While the movement is certainly on the rise, with quite a dramatic rise recently, it is not to the extent it was back in 1996 when around 858 groups were active ("Militias 'in retreat'". BBC News. May 11, 2001.) After the election of President Obama, small local militias began popping up again, as the Southern Poverty Law Center and others have documented. SPLC counted 1,360 active patriot groups in 2012, many of them militias.(The Nation 2013) https://www.thenation.com/article/ameri ... ment-rise/There were at least 276 militia groups active in the United States last year, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center — a 37 percent rise over the 202 such groups in 2014.http://thehill.com/policy/national-secu ... rapid-rate

Telegraph article - Alex Hannaford
Their opposition to federal government is what distinguishes them from the militias of old, which were designed to aid the government, rather than fight them, in the event of a national emergency. Indeed, according to civil rights organisation the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), the militia movement claims to be the ‘militia’ enshrined in the Constitution but is not. The ADL says that they are simply private, unregulated paramilitary groups but that there is no federal law against their existence. (The Telegraph August 2010)http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... itias.html

I think the reason why this is occurring is because the bottom 30% in the population, the so called "poor whites" feel disenfranchised, and disillusioned.

The worsening plight of poor white Americans highlighted by the Times article on the mortality findings by economists Angus Deaton and Ann Case is by no means limited to just the South and West. Researchers from political science to neuroscience have been uncovering ever more disturbing facts about whites at the bottom of the US socioeconomic ladder. Charles Murray, in his book Coming Apart, showed that between 1960 and 2010 the bottom 30 percent of Americans in terms of socioeconomic status have experienced a collapse in social capital. The rate of children who were from broken marriages and living with a single parent increased tenfold over that period—to 25 percent. The rate of children living with both biological parents when the mother was forty years old plummeted from 95 percent to 30 percent. The fraction of people having no involvement in any secular or religious organization more than doubled—to 34 percent. The percentage of prime working age males not in the work force increased threefold—to 12 percent. The percent of men not making enough money to support a household of two more than doubled—to 30 percent. The percent of males in state and federal prisons increased almost fivefold.

The disillusionment hypothesis has the virtue of explaining why it is that the support for Donald Trump is greatest today among ill-educated whites in the poorer, less cosmopolitan regions of the country. Trump’s bombast, braggadocio, xenophobia, aggressiveness, and willingness to tell baldface lies is unnerving to anyone having a nodding acquaintance with the circumstances of the rise of fascism. Both Italian fascism and German Nazism achieved their greatest initial successes with the proletariat. In the case of Nazism the greatest early gains were made with rural Protestant peasants.

https://www.edge.org/response-detail/26561
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Luigi wrote:Will you be returning to the US of Absurdity to aid your brethren in the fight?
Will you offer your invaluable insight via emails & blogs? Will you walk the talk?
Or will you hide here in Cambodia till those that fought & won & then go proudly stand beside them?
'US of Absurdity'?

jealous much? (well it sounds that way) :stir:

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

I'm only jealous of Randle Patrick McMurphy, Ignatius J Reilly & Kieth Richards.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

The founding fathers of America were the riff-raff, they traded with the enemy in times of war and smuggled goods into the country to avoid paying taxes, which were some of the lowest in the empire. A bunch of freebooters tossed a load of legal tea into the harbour to protect their own personal interests. It was touch and go as to whether the revolution was going to take off but the people who launched it certainly didn't do it for your freedom, they did it for theirs. Just like Trump. Never mind the comedic value in slave owners signing a document saying all men are equal. Jorge Washington was definitely bothering his slave women, they've found his genetic descendants. Anyhow, that's old news, all the US police forces are now heavily militarised with Iraq war surplus, so good luck with Bubba and his fishing buddies overthrowing the man. He'll blast you to kingdom come, after having shot your dog first.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Everyone has their own agenda. Me included. I'm for me & fuk the rest of the world. Me Me Me!

Me, I'm voting for your avatar for POTUS & FLOTUS.
Best of both worlds then they can each go fuck themselves.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I still don't see any Americans raising their hands. Yes, just gossip by Non-Americans. Yes, our American forefathers did kick the ass's of the Royalist rif-raf and tossed them out of what became American, but then in WWI and WWII we saved your butts. The Germans would have eventually flattened England after they figured out to go back and bomb the airfields/radar. The Japs would have invaded Australia also.

BTW/Its really no ones business where I go and what I do, but lets just say I have resources in America and am possibly in for some interesting times.

Luigi: Really? Hiding in Cambodia? I've never hidden from anything in my life and don't intend to start. BTW/What are you hiding and from? I can say I served my country, can you, I doubt it. All talk, no backbone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic