Learn Cambodian in 3 days with Let's Talk!

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Bong Ben
Tourist

Learn Cambodian in 3 days with Let's Talk!

Post by Bong Ben »

Dear friends.

Have you ever wished you could speak the local Cambodian language?

How many of you wished you could understand the language better in order to have a fuller, richer experience with the locals? Or maybe even to avoid being conned, tricked, or lied to?

How many of you are in Cambodia for professional, family, or other personal reasons, and think that the only way you could ever get better at speaking and understanding Khmer, was if someone magically put it in your head?

How many of you (English speakers especially) would be interested in receiving a 3 day (in a row) training in the Khmer language?

A practical course designed to teach the grammar, syntax, pronunciation, and an understanding of the local language.

Does this sound interesting?

The course start this Wednesday the 9th of Novmebr and I still have 4 seats available.

This course has been designed according to proven learning methods which have already satisfied millions of learners around the world.

I have been in Cambodia since 2007 and have spent more than 800 hours per year volunteering among the locals.

I know I can help you, and I know how.

Interested?

Contact us

bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Learn Cambodian in 3 days with Let's Talk!

Post by bolueeleh »

everyday even locals are being conned by another locals, language is not the main criteria of one's deterrence of being conned, just saying :hattip:, fuller and richer experience, yes definitely :beer3:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Hello Bong.What is your native dialect
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

bolueeleh wrote:everyday even locals are being conned by another locals, language is not the main criteria of one's deterrence of being conned, just saying :hattip:, fuller and richer experience, yes definitely :beer3:

''everyday even locals are being conned by another locals,

It's the universal language known as commerce. :bow: Bidnez as usual. Please continue regular programing.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

there is no way you can learn Khmer in 3 days, not to the extent you are promising
learning khmer does open up a whole new experience in Cambodia though

how much is this 3 day coarse?
is it for basic beginners or can people with already a good grasp of he language find it useful?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Call me cynical :stir: ... but that's quite a claim. Do you have a "Learn Khmer in 3 days guarantee or your money back" policy ?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I imagine myself writing the same spiel to monolingual Cambodians in The US, except I substitute"English" for "Cambodian.". So, for example, "A practical course designed to teach the grammar, syntax, pronunciation, and an understanding of the local language."

Really, I'm going to do that in 3 days??? As it happens I have been living in a small Cambodian village for almost 15 years with my intelligent teacher /wife and it has taken me much longer, in fact while I am proud of my achievement no one would ever confuse me for a native speaker

So the upshot is this. It's ok to pimp a product as long as it's a good one, but there is no way anyone can "magically put it in your head.". It takes effort, desire and most importantly time. No matter how well intentioned you may be, such claims are unfeasible.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

How Long Should it Take to Learn a Language? When I arrived in 1996 it took me about 6 months to get the basics.

FSI research indicates that it takes 480 hours to reach basic fluency in group 1 languages, and 720 hours for group 2-4 languages. (Cambodian is group 3)

If we are able to put in 10 hours a day to learn a language, then basic fluency in the easy languages should take 48 days, and for difficult languages 72 days. Accounting for days off, this equates to two months or three months time. If you only put in five hours a day, it will take twice as long.

FSI, the US Foreign Service Institute, divides languages into groups of difficulty for speakers of English:

Group 1: French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili
Group 2: Bulgarian, Burmese, Greek, Hindi, Persian, Urdu
Group 3: Amharic, Cambodian, Czech, Finnish, Hebrew, Hungarian, Lao, Polish, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
Group 4: Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean
http://blog.thelinguist.com/how-long-sh ... a-language
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

hindi in group 2?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic