On my way to Sri Lanka right now, any last minute suggestions?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: On my way to Sri Lanka right now, any last minute suggestions?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah do tell us about the booze situation. One thing I always found disappointing in India was the lack of booze. I'm by no means a heavy drinker but when in a foreign country, I like to have the odd beers in the afternoon and watch the world go by. Doing that in India is pretty hard as beer isn't exactly common.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Sunnyside up
Tourist

Post by Sunnyside up »

I liked the Lion beer in Sri Lanka but i wasnt so hot on the Kingfisher in India. Tasted a bit winey.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Any post trip updates on this? Parting thoughts?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Any post trip updates on this? Parting thoughts?

Yes, Gen'l, do tell us a tale or two. Getting around, food, booze. :popcorn:
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

That ocean looks like you should put away the scuba equipment and grab a surfboard, but I was always told you have to dive the shitty days to appreciate the good days all the more.

I'd suggest getting your nitrox at the same time of your advanced cert, did you use padi?
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Milord wrote:Consider getting your NITROX Cert. as well. Allows tanks with 32% Oxygen to breath. Usually $10 more per dive but the benefit is that you feel great after a dive.

Also less surface time between dives so muti dives are possible and you will be less tired.

If you believe in Hyperbaric O2 chamber healing, flooding body tissue with more oxygen, than that works every dive with Nitrox.

Be very selective who they partner you with, your life may depend on it. In training, I had a partner that panicked at depth then did a powered ascent to the surface. Should I follow my "diving buddy" ? NOPE, he can die alone. :stir:
Nitrox is great I totally believe in it's health benefits, I can get up to 40% oxygen here in the US which will allow me to go to 99 feet(33 meters?). I work with some nasty paints, xylene and lacquer thinners, a good day of spraying and I'll feel like crap, totally drained, a good dive with 40% nitrox makes me feel like a new man, so I'll use it even if I'm doing a shore dive where I'm in 20 feet of water.

We actually park at a hyperbaric chamber when we shore dive, our dive buddy works there, love to get in for some sessions but it is expensive.

I'm a solo diver, that "dive buddy" is a load of crap, hardly works unless your holding hands with the person. Just remember if you have to do a free ascent(from no more than 60-70') breath out! Pulmonary Barotrauma is a common dive injury and no joke.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic