Ghost spirit of dead garment worker haunts factory, possesses workers.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ghost spirit of dead garment worker haunts factory, possesses workers.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Spirit Blamed for Fainting at Factory
Mom Kunthear Friday, 04 November 2016

Nearly 80 workers at the Wing Star Shoes factory in Kampong Speu province fainted again yesterday morning after more than 100 fainted on Wednesday, with workers claiming it was the result of a spirit.

Factory employee Norn Sophea told Khmer Times yesterday that the workers started fainting and feeling dizzy when their shift began at about 7:15am and were subsequently sent to hospital.

“The factory invited four monks to bless the factory to bring good luck and chase the bad spirit away, but the workers fainted before the monks arrived,” the 28-year-old said.

Ms. Sophea said the factory would invite the monks to make a blessing again before the workers arrive for work today.

She claimed the workers fainted because a ghost spirit had possessed one of the workers, shocking others who proceeded to faint one after another.

“I believe a ghost spirit caused the workers to faint because it did not smell like the chemicals used for killing insects and there was sufficient air in the factory,” she said.

“There is the smell of glue, but it is familiar to us because we smell it every day without any problems.”

Ms. Sophea said the ghost spirit came into the workers’ body like it had in previous years, which she suggested was the spirit from one of three workers killed when a mezzanine at the factory collapsed in May 2013...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/31672/ ... t-factory/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Ghost spirit of dead garment worker haunts factory, possesses workers.

Post by cptrelentless »

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

cptrelentless wrote:Sounds like this http://www.csicop.org/si/show/neurologi ... g_outbreak
Interesting article, personally I suspect poor health and safety precautions when working with solvent based adhesives.
Note it is stated that “There is the smell of glue, but it is familiar to us because we smell it every day without any problems.”

Below is an extract of a study done in India in 2011,entitled: An Occupational Health Study of the Footwear Manufacturing
Workers of Kolkata, India

There are several processes involved in foot-wear making like Measuring, Last making, Pat-tern cutting, Sewing, Assembling and Finish-ing. Each of these processes is associated with different types of health hazards. But most insidious of all are toxic organic solvents present particularly in adhesives and also in the hardeners, cleaning solutions and degreasers used in shoe-making processes.The workers are exposed to chemicals like leather dust, benzene (used as solvent in glues) and p-tert butyl phenols (used in neoprene adhesives). Thus,most of them suffer from respiratory problems,lung diseases and skin infections through constant exposure to glues and fumes.

When the subjects of both the groups were asked about their health status they said that whenever adhesives or glues were used during making of footwear, all of them felt problems like suffocation, eye irritation, nausea and dizziness. Table 1 represents the responses to the questionnaire on their health status. The subjects of Experimental group also said that the feeling of above mentioned problems is so strong that they have to go out of the workplace for some time to get back to normal self. http://www.krepublishers.com/02-Journal ... y-S-Tt.pdf
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Even a ghost would faint under the conditions listed im the preceding post.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Nothing wrong with this ?
“There is the smell of glue, but it is familiar to us because we smell it every day without any problems.”
Just because you smell/sniff glue every day, doesn't mean that it isn't poisonous and doesn't have long term effects.
When those kids walk around with their head in a bag, they are also seeing "ghosts" or hallucinations. And it makes you feel sick and fall down. :bad:
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

funny thing, my farm hand had a similiar episode last month where the resident spirit (there are 3 resdident spirit in all khmer house hold BTW) entered his body, i had to engage a monk to cleanse the land, setup altar for the spirits, now last week he claimed the spirit to have netered him again, now he quit this job :facepalm:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Anchor Moy wrote:Nothing wrong with this ?
Just because you smell/sniff glue every day, doesn't mean that it isn't poisonous and doesn't have long term effects.
When those kids walk around with their head in a bag, they are also seeing "ghosts" or hallucinations. And it makes you feel sick and fall down. :bad:
Exactly my point, I added that quote because it illustrates that while they are being exposed to these potentially harmful fumes everyday, they have come to accept this constant exposure as normal when in fact it can be potentially harmful. As the report notes "Thus,most of them suffer from respiratory problems,lung diseases and skin infections through constant exposure to glues and fumes."
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yep, very sad statement:
"[glue]... we smell it every day without any problems.”
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

bolueeleh wrote:funny thing, my farm hand had a similiar episode last month where the resident spirit (there are 3 resdident spirit in all khmer house hold BTW) entered his body, i had to engage a monk to cleanse the land, setup altar for the spirits, now last week he claimed the spirit to have netered him again, now he quit this job :facepalm:
Why do you indulge such nonsense?

I am barang with Sino-Khmer gf who does not believe this BS. She laughs at such behavior. But of course her family home in the countryside has all the obligatory & requisite paraphernalia.
She says it's a social requirement. (my interpretation of her words)
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Luigi wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:funny thing, my farm hand had a similiar episode last month where the resident spirit (there are 3 resdident spirit in all khmer house hold BTW) entered his body, i had to engage a monk to cleanse the land, setup altar for the spirits, now last week he claimed the spirit to have netered him again, now he quit this job :facepalm:
Why do you indulge such nonsense?

I am barang with Sino-Khmer gf who does not believe this BS. She laughs at such behavior. But of course her family home in the countryside has all the obligatory & requisite paraphernalia.
She says it's a social requirement. (my interpretation of her words)
yes indeed, i dont go to a christian home during christmas, tear up the christmas tree and scream "there is no such thing as jesus christ!!!" do i? let me rephrase that, its not about indulging, its about when in rome, do what the romans do
Last edited by bolueeleh on Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic