Toilets

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Toilets

Post by Duncan »

A lot of study has gone into this subject, and it found that the higher you shit, the higher you stand ?

Study links toilet usage, height

Andrew Nachemson, The Phnom Penh Post
Wed, 26 October 2016

A new study has found that open defecation, which is still commonly practised in Cambodia, has direct links to reduced heights in children, with a decrease in the practice over five years leading to increases in height.

The study, published next month in Economics and Human Biology, explains that unsanitary toilet conditions can cause diarrhea, intestinal parasites and intestinal disease, all of which can lead to stunted growth.

It says that open defecation in Cambodia dropped between 2005 and 2010, from 77 percent of households to 66 percent, and that the average heights of children aged under 5 increased significantly during the same period.

“The reduction in children’s exposure to open defecation can statistically account for much or all of the increase in average child height between 2005 and 2010,” it found, while acknowledging other factors may have affected changes in heights alongside sanitation.

Read more »
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Re: Toilets

Post by boozyoldman »

Dinkas and Nuers shit in the open, yet are tall

Even toilet-trained pygmies remain distressingly short

Something must be done!
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

I call bullshit on this study, when shitting in the open ur butt doesnt touch the ground for parasites to enter, secondly im a openly defecating child in my days, im happen to be the biggest blokes in my village
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

I seriously would like to know first who funded such a ridiculous study, how was it executed..ah never mind.

I'll just go with BULLSHIT
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Children who are forced to use "outside toilets" are also likely to be poor and therefore more likely to be malnourished. Malnourished children generally don't grow as big as well-nourished ones. It seems like a pointless study with an illogical premise.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I suppose it depends on how you wipe/rinse your arse when shitting al-fresco as to how much contamination you get. Nobody washes their hands after. It's definitely malnourishment, I've seen some really tall khmers about, the genes are in the pool, just not the expression.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Toilets

Post by rozzieoz »

Last night I was sitting outside at cafe sushi (excellent food by the way!)

A mother carried her child outside (toilet is inside) to stand on the pavement and pee in the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I've had rural teenage male relatives that when visiting will stand at the toilet/bathroom door and just pee on the floor.

Rural women will squat on the floor.

Can't really blame them if that's what they are used to.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Toilets

Post by rozzieoz »

When I met my GF's grandma, we went to a restaurant in Siem Reap. Grandma had no idea how to use the hose and toilet - GF had to show her. She was amazed apparently, god love her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rozzieoz on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Most rural houses that do have toilets/ latrines, and I'd guess most urban houses that aren't too modern, don't have bum guns. They have a bucket and scoop, or a big vat of water and a scoop. I have never been proficient with those systems. I don't want to use my hand, that's gross. I'd imagine many do just that though. That's got to be a big element in spreading gastrointestinal illnesses. Dysentery is one of the leading causes of premature death worldwide, and that's only one of the plethora of diseases spread by poor toilet hygiene.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic