Build it, and they will come

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Build it, and they will come

Post by Duncan »

willyhilly[b] wrote:What will happen to these empty buildings[/b]?
Empty buildings are the same as money in the bank. Money in the bank earns ? interest and is getting lower, money in blocks and mortar can only go up, if labour cost and demand go up.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Duncan wrote:
willyhilly[b] wrote:What will happen to these empty buildings[/b]?
Empty buildings are the same as money in the bank. Money in the bank earns ? interest and is getting lower, money in blocks and mortar can only go up, if labour cost and demand go up.
Generally that's true but without a market to buy you're sitting on an asset you can't liquefy.

I much rather put that same money in CD's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

Duncan in your first post you said ” so I guess it's going to be left up to the 0.01 % of the billion Chinese population to immigrate to Cambodia and buy them”.

Why on earth would the Chinese be interested in buying anything in Cambodia when there are 64 million empty condominiums in China. This is enough floor space to cover the entire city of Madrid.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/china-ghost-cities/5421229

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gall ... n-pictures
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

obelisks wrote: 64 million empty condominiums in China.
because buying property for speculation is about returns, precisely there is a glut of condos in china (theory of vicious cycle) which diminish their value and returns thats why some (highly mobile or educated ones) are looking outside of china, in my short tenure as a property agent, i have seen rich chinese or arabian drop a few millions to snap up few properties without even as much as step a foot in the country, while they still have empty property sitting else where.

the problem is that many people still have that old school of thought that properties are safe investment (because some wise guru told them years ago that there is only so much land on earth, but what the wise guru meant to say is that there is only so much "good" land on earth)
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

obelisks wrote:Duncan in your first post you said ” so I guess it's going to be left up to the 0.01 % of the billion Chinese population to immigrate to Cambodia and buy them”.

Why on earth would the Chinese be interested in buying anything in Cambodia when there are 64 million empty condominiums in China. This is enough floor space to cover the entire city of Madrid.

Yes your right, but the Chinese can see big opportunities here , that is staring the Cambodians in the face and they cannot see it. That's why they will come, or should I say, a lot more will come, as there is already a big population of Chinese here already.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

Duncan wrote:
obelisks wrote:Duncan in your first post you said ” so I guess it's going to be left up to the 0.01 % of the billion Chinese population to immigrate to Cambodia and buy them”.

Yes your right, but the Chinese can see big opportunities here , that is staring the Cambodians in the face and they cannot see it. That's why they will come, or should I say, a lot more will come, as there is already a big population of Chinese here already.
" but the Chinese can see big opportunities here "

but the Chinese economy itself is heading for a crash according to this Chinese economist?

This economist thinks China is headed for a 1929-style depression

In a recent interview with MarketWatch, Xie said China’s trajectory instead resembles the one that led to the Great Depression, when the expansion of credit, loose monetary policy and a widespread belief that asset prices would never fall contributed to rampant speculation that ended with a crippling market crash
China in 2016 looks much the same, according to Xie, with half of the country’s debt propping up real-estate prices and heavy leverage in the stock market — indicating that conditions are ripe for a correction.

“The government is allowing speculation by providing cheap financing,” Xie told MarketWatch. China “is riding a tiger and is terrified of a crash. So it keeps pumping cash into the economy. It is difficult to see how China can avoid a crisis.”
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-e ... 2016-06-30
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Hey Duncan, buildings deteriorate very quickly in the tropics. In five years those buildings will need millions spent to tidy them up.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I'm liking the Prince Cullinan Bay one, is that the one nobody can work out where it's supposed to be? Near Victory Monument, eh? There's been fuck all happening at D'Sea-not-so-view for the last six months of rainy season. This was not long after they were driving piles and trying to do the foundations, so I guess they've found the half a mile of sticky clay mush that was underneath the swamp and have gone away to think about the 14 floors of underground parking they'll be adding.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Build it and they will come ? Yes indeed !
Once I finally put a for rent sign on my SHV apartments building and called a few real estate agencies, the 6 units I had available were taken in 2 weeks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic