Recommendations regarding Mourning Period for His Majesty King Bhumibol

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Recommendations regarding Mourning Period for His Majesty King Bhumibol

Post by phuketrichard »

If traveling in the next 30 days to thailand

Recommendations regarding Mourning Period for His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Thailand is now in an official period of mourning following the passing of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

In this regard, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like all visitors to Thailand to continue with their travel plans as normal. Furthermore, kindly be advised of the following:

• Many Thai people will be wearing black or white clothing as a sign of mourning. This is not required of visitors but if possible, they should wear sombre and respectful clothing when in public.

• Visitors should refrain from conducting any inappropriate or disrespectful behaviour.

• Tourist attractions will be open as usual with the exception of Wat Phra Kaeo (Temple of the Emerald Buddha) and the Grand Palace, as they will be the venue of the Royal Funeral Rites.

• The Government has asked for the cooperation from the entertainment venues; such as, bars and nightclubs to consider the opening of their business operations during this time. The decision will be made by the individual owners.

• Most of the traditional and cultural events will be taking place as usual, although the celebrations may be changed for appropriateness as a mark of respect, or the events may be dedicated to the memory of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

• All transport, banks, hospitals and other public services will be operating as usual.

• The related authorities have stepped up safety and security measures for all Thais and visitors to facilitate their travelling around the country.

• For any enquiries, please contact our TAT domestic offices or Tel.: 1672.

TAT would like to thank all visitors for their understanding and supporting Thailand during this period of time.

Source: http://www.tatnews.org/recommendations- ... adulyadej/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Re: Recommendations regarding Mourning Period for His Majesty King Bhumibol

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

Pattaya Local Authority have already announced that the official Loy Khatong, Fireworks Festival and New Year Celebrations, ( which is a massive crowd puller domestically and internationally tourism wise ), have all been cancelled this year. So clearly a subdued December in Fun town is to be expected. As I'm sure this will be replicated in the other smaller tourist cities in due course, I don't think Thailand is the best place for a festive break this year.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

im going to be in thailand for 3 weeks in december before flying back to cambodia, be interesting to see how everything is effected from normal
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Recommendations regarding Mourning Period for His Majesty King Bhumibol

Post by General Mackevili »

phuketrichard wrote:
• The Government has asked for the cooperation from the entertainment venues; such as, bars and nightclubs to consider the opening of their business operations during this time. The decision will be made by the individual owners.
Really? We'll see about that...
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

So you are saying I can't go to the FMP?

What is worse is that my TV provider obviously pirates Thai channels and I now have 17 channels of ceremonies for the late king.....
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

all tv is nothing but thai about his majesty, all entertainment channels. no true vision, no satellite, BUT for some strange reason i still have international news channels, ( fox, BBC,Channel news asia, Ajazeria) while my neighbor who uses a different cable provider has nothing)

As far as bars goes , they will open for sure but very subdued. ( you wont see those sexy young girls outside bars to get u to go in) or the signs lit up. TO ask them to close for a month would put them all out of business, not to mention all the employees loss of income and a huge financial loss for everyone.

Jamie; thanks for keeping us informed, i think this makes like the 8th thread u have mentioned ur heading to thailand.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:im going to be in thailand for 3 weeks in december before flying back to cambodia, be interesting to see how everything is effected from normal
On the streets of Pattaya in the daytime, the girls seem to be straying far from recommended subdued clothing. Same for many expats. Overall, wearing black/white is far from an overwhelming choice of clothing, although black is probably one of the most popular colours for everyday use anyway.

By the time you get here in December, things could be considerably different. Back to normal. Or maybe not, maybe even more restrictive. It's really day to day here. Right now, bars are about as interesting as touring a water treatment plant. No music except the approved subdued kind; no flashy lighting; no videos except the TVs are tuned to the kingly docs; no slutty clothing; no hanging out on the front terrace and making a spectacle of yourself. That said, I don't chase skirts anymore, just drink. Haven't been in a go-go in 3.5 years. Your mileage may vary.

In fact, I and 2 friends are urgently discussing a one-month getaway from our current beige lives to another nearby country to watch from afar and enjoy the delights of living in Southeast Asia.
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Hanno, I'd imagine that the xmas and New Year events put on in the hospitality sector are a lucrative source of income given that the 4-5 star places are now charging anything from 7,500 - 15,000 baht for their gala events, featuring music, fireworks etc. ( and it's compulsory if you are staying there ). I realise a lot are multinationals that can spread adverse individual country events across the chain but will be a reasonable hit to the bottom line I would have thought.

TAT have been dealt a difficult hand, they still want the benefit of the high season tourists and their money rolling in given the number of jobs they support, but have to balance quite rightly the message of respecting local feeling, customs, call it what you will without advertising too heavily the fact that tourists won't be able to enjoy themselves as they perhaps think they can and therefore sending them to other countries/markets.

Leaving entertainment venues, ( Go-Go's and nightclubs), to police themselves is akin to letting 5 well fed lambs into a hungry lions cage and asking the lion politely not to eat them. Quite a dilemma indeed given the number of people employed in the industry. Tradition, custom and respect versus cold hard asian economics.
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Ex Penh Man - I agree with your observations re Pattaya, I was in Big C Pattaya Klang mid-day yesterday having a coffee observing the mood and whilst black was in reasonable evidence I did see some rather scantily clad Thai women. I don't own any black clothes and I suspect it wouldn't be the first coloured item tourists pack in their bags coming on holiday to a sunny beachside resort, the best that can be hoped for is they don't get themselves into horrendously drunk states and piss off the locals. I did decide I wouldn't walk round to my local bar/restaurant last night purely out of respect for the regular Thai staff, to me it would have just felt wrong in the circumstances. Each to their own.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....Nightlife
Soi Cowboy, popular among tourists, has announced it will be closed indefinitely.
Alcohol Sales
Alcohol will be sold during the usual hours of 11am-2pm, from 5pm-midnight, according to Samarn Futrakul, of the alcohol control board. Alcohol sales will be banned on Sunday, which is Wan Ok Phansa, or the last day of Buddhist Lent.

Clubs
Some nightlife venues will go dark, some not. Again, best to check ahead. Beam and Demo in Thonglor, Levels and Sugar in Nana and Silom’s Whiteline announced they were closed until further notice.

Bars
While bars will be allowed to operate, they must close at 1am and no types of parties will be tolerated within them
as to bars, pretty much what i said :beer3:
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts ... ng-period/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic