The fake monk scam still as popular as ever.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The fake monk scam still as popular as ever.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

For those who don't know about these fake monks. They hang around touristy areas and are asking for money on various pretexts. Real monks will never go around begging from foreigners or trying to bless you or sell you something.
Posted on the Phnom Penh Expats FB page today.

Travis El Phillipe‎Phnom Penh & Expat Forum
10 hrs · [10/10/2016]

Most expats know this is a scamming, fake monk POS. But in case you are new, don't let this wanna be clown touch you or put his stupid wooden beads on you. He can get aggressive. Fake monk. St 172
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: The fake monk scam still as popular as ever.

Post by bolueeleh »

fucking stinky chink chank scum giving monks a bad name, someone shld rough him up
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

bolueeleh wrote:fucking stinky chink chank scum giving monks a bad name, someone shld rough him up

In all honesty, real monks also manage to give monks a bad name.....
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have noticed those fake monks extending their territory to the outer areas of PP . My kids and I saw them getting money off poor Cambodians in Takhmau and I asked my kids if they knew they were fake monks. No they didn't know, so what do they talk about on facebook these days ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Duncan wrote:I have noticed those fake monks extending their territory to the outer areas of PP . My kids and I saw them getting money off poor Cambodians in Takhmau and I asked my kids if they knew they were fake monks. No they didn't know, so what do they talk about on facebook these days ?
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

i would like to be his elbow in this pic
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Pursat: Fake Australian monk has been arrested for impersonating a monk and he may be deported. They are going down hard on him because he was reported to the police by the local religious authorities, who received complaints about his demands for "donations". He seems to have been raking in a fair bit of dough.

Major General Uk Heiseila, chief investigator at the Ministry of Interior’s immigration department, identified the fake monk as Vietnamese-Australian Tren Hao Fan, 49, who was transferred to the immigration department for further questioning on Saturday.

“If he has no passport he will be deported and put on the no-entry list permanently,” Maj. Gen. Heiseila said.

Pursat town police chief Chhorn Rith told Khmer Times that police made the arrest after a complaint was filed by the provincial religious department.

He added that police found evidence in addition to items commonly used by monks like robes, stick and bags. “We also found a motorcycle, $3,040 and 1.7 million riel [about $425],” Mr. Rith said.
Khmer Times.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You'd never guess he wasn't a real monk.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote:You'd never guess he wasn't a real monk.
Is it the three and a half grand, the motorbike, or the facial hair that gives it away ?

Nope, must be the hat, right ?
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

i wouldnt have known
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic