The fake monk scam still as popular as ever.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: The fake monk scam still as popular as ever.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Haha. One of them walked into a restaurant in downtown SHV last week where there were 4 or 5 tables of expats. He got such a warm welcome that he raced out of there and was down the road in a matter of seconds.
Somebody said "Hi, Are you one of those fake monks ?" and it went downhill from there. Very funny. Never seen a "monk"move so fast.
He wasn't one of the two monks in the photos though, so he might be still around.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Saw one today on street 172. Was trying to run the scam of "you have the bracelet now you must pay" on a young couple. I told them to just give it back and told him to piss off or I would call the cops. He left quickly. =@
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

I was approached by one a month or two ago in Chbar Mon, of all places. I have no idea what he was doing there, as they never seem to approach Cambodians, and Chbar Mon isn't exactly a tourist hotspot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic