The fake monk scam still as popular as ever.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Raybull
Expatriate

Re: The fake monk scam still as popular as ever.

Post by Raybull »

Cops in SHV brought a few of these guys into the station today, made them sign promissory notes thay would stop...lolz! They should just put these chinks on a raft and get some vietnamese fisherman to drag it out a few dozens km out a release it.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I was at a restaurant near Orussey Market today and there were legitimate-looking monks with civilian-dressed sidekicks, the latters of which were approaching people with the monks' orange satchels soliciting cash. Strange?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

What age were the civilian sidekicks? How were they dressed?

They may have been, what we may call, 'elders' from the Wat? = Legit.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Username Taken wrote:What age were the civilian sidekicks? How were they dressed?

They may have been, what we may call, 'elders' from the Wat? = Legit.
They were older guys (and by that I mean over 50), dressed in long sleeved button up shirts, standard for Khmers. I just had not seen that until now and it seemed a bit strange given the monks in the robes looked legit, but these guys were collecting cash.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Older guys with a clipboard and official letters from someone. Sounds straight up to me. Probably collecting from locals for repairs, etc. at the local Wat.

These guys wouldn't be hitting up tourists.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

No clipboard or anything. He did approach me (and it is a semi tourist spot being right next to the Capitol Coach terminal) but I politely declined. Local pagoda is just a block away on Monivong though. You could be right, the monks themselves aren't supposed to handle cash are they? Which doesn't explain the one shopping at Lucky supermarket I saw once. Unless they take their basket to checkout and give the checkout chick a blessing?
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

timmydownawell wrote: but I politely declined
No need for that with this kind. Best is a loud "fuck off" so people around are warned and an expressive mimicking of your foot on his fake monk's arse to insure some long lasting result.
Of course you would have point added to the community service you just provided if it hurts the feelings of a few hipsters around.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Raybull wrote:Cops in SHV brought a few of these guys into the station today, made them sign promissory notes thay would stop...lolz! They should just put these chinks on a raft and get some vietnamese fisherman to drag it out a few dozens km out a release it.
Confirmed:
Koon Khmer
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

I just think of them as oriental hippies. Recall the hari krishna, the moonies, the free love gen.
I still tell them all to FO.
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

Great I told that younger one to fuck off yesterday and that I was going to call the police on victory hill he walked off quickly, the locals gave me a dirty look I told them he fake and not even local!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic