Real cost of housing?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Djimbe
Tourist
Cambodia

Real cost of housing?

Post by Djimbe »

I feel like I'm getting really conflicting numbers on the real monthly cost of rent in Cambodia. I've seen people say that the lowest price is $30/month, and others say that it's $300/month. I also can never seem to figure out what I can expect to get for a particular rent.

I understand that part of that depends on where you live (for example, PP vs. SHV) and even where within a city you live, but can you give me some concrete examples of where you are, how much you pay, and what you get for it?

Ideally, I am looking for something akin to a warehouse or loft. I like to live in a big open space, which I can fill up and arrange how I like. Are these kinds of things available in Cambodia? If so, where should I look and what can I expect to pay?

I know that this is a few different questions/ideas in one thread, but any help you can offer is appreciated.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Real cost of housing?

Post by bolueeleh »

google real estate in cambodia, you will get lots of hits, also google map helps alot, i think your question here is, are the rents the posters here pay close to those u see in on the internet? the right way to do this is to come here first, get ur feet wet, get a temp house, 6 months or less, than do some ground work urself, u can not plan such a big move in ur life just by researching on internet alone.

lots of diff types of expats here in KOW, some are suckers, some r real smart, some come here n became smart to local conditions, depends on which category r u in.

to answer ur question, i lived in small stand alone type house in SHV (becoz i got disturbed many times by neighbours and thin walls), i paid 400$ for it, it is gated with security, water, electric, garbage collection, tv, internet etc, there r places with higher n lower rents depends on what u desire but u really need to come here n survey the grounds for urself first

(damn this is the longest that i hv posted, damn u debate!)
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Search for Vladimirs thread on finding a n apartment, full of useful information.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Search for Vladimirs thread on finding a n apartment, full of useful information.
Here it is https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/housing ... e-t64.html

:hattip:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

bolueeleh wrote:google real estate in cambodia, you will get lots of hits, also google map helps alot, i think your question here is, are the rents the posters here pay close to those u see in on the internet? the right way to do this is to come here first, get ur feet wet, get a temp house, 6 months or less, than do some ground work urself, u can not plan such a big move in ur life just by researching on internet alone.

lots of diff types of expats here in KOW, some are suckers, some r real smart, some come here n became smart to local conditions, depends on which category r u in.

to answer ur question, i lived in small stand alone type house in SHV (becoz i got disturbed many times by neighbours and thin walls), i paid 400$ for it, it is gated with security, water, electric, garbage collection, tv, internet etc, there r places with higher n lower rents depends on what u desire but u really need to come here n survey the grounds for urself first

(damn this is the longest that i hv posted, damn u debate!)
agree with this
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Vladimir should be a real estate agent, he could find the cheapest property anywhere.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

$30 a month will get you a room in a hovel.

In PP my girlfriend pays $120pm for a small fan room with bathroom on the 6th (American, 5th British) floor with no elevator on st 19 between sts172 and 154. About 20sqm all up.

I pay less for larger and better nearby, but it is not a deal many would get.

Nearby, on st 154, between Norodom and st51 I have friends who pay $600pm for a 2 bedroom modern aircon apartment with balcony.

$300 should get you a decent 1 bedroom place.

In SHV I pay$100pm for a 25sqm aircon room with small separate kitchenette and bathroom on the ground floor. A friend rents a nice 2 level, 2 bedroom house with 2 bath, aircon in the bedrooms and a large terrace for $250pm. People pay $275-$400 for modern 1 bedroom apartments as well. A friend rents a non aircon large 3 bed 2 bath wooden house with massive unused upstairs for $250pm, but I would not live there.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

LaudJohn wrote:$300 should get you a decent 1 bedroom place.
Not in Riverside / Daun Penh though unless it's a studio. $300 for a decent one bedroom would be more like 7 Makara, BKK1, BKK3, Russian Market and beyond. Maybe the odd exception of course, but generally speaking.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

I think this is the only place in the world I have lived that it so common to ask someone what you pay for something. House, condo, rent, moto, auto. Does not seem to matter. At least once or three times a week I am asked, ''how much you pay? For whatever.
Not like did you find a better deal on Vietnamese coffee beans.

In your own respective countries would these be a common questions?

Let's say you are invited to a BBQ at a friends new house. Would you ask your host & or hostess what they paid for the house, furniture, the car & truck in the garage?

In redundancy I ask. In your own respective countries would these be a common questions?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

timmydownawell wrote:
LaudJohn wrote:$300 should get you a decent 1 bedroom place.
Not in Riverside / Daun Penh though unless it's a studio.
The OP did say, "Ideally, I am looking for something akin to a warehouse or loft. I like to live in a big open space, which I can fill up and arrange how I like."

:thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic