Australian Expat Peter Maitland Has Leg Amputated After Motorbike Accident in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Australian Expat Peter Maitland Has Leg Amputated After Motorbike Accident in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Oh the kids' messages are so sweet.

Think I'd pass on a green pea smoothie though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Australian Expat Peter Maitland Has Leg Amputated After Motorbike Accident in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Australian Expat Peter Maitland Has Leg Amputated After Motorbike Accident in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

Rama wrote:Here is a photo of the driver of the Camry
Yes, this the man who should be paying for what he did. However much he pays up it will never replace Pete's leg or his life, but he should face the consequences, pay the victim costs and do some time in jail. Daddy should not get him out of this.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

young punk with camry and is that an iphone? will be out on bail in a heartbeat, case delayed due to unable to get written statement of victim, 3 years later, case forgotten lost in tons of paperwork. welcome to KOW, money talks, criminals walks
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It certainly is the kind of scenario that worries me most about living here. No matter how smooth things are going, I know that it can all change in an instant.
As for the perp? Drunk & confused idiot kid, crashes, panics and does even more damage while flooring it in a lame attempt to abscond .
I predict that fuck all will happen to him.
Not because he's all that special or connected, just because that's the way it always happens.
Jesus wept.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

So what does anyone here know about AFFORDABLE insurance for those of us who actually live here?

AG CAMBODIA offers plans but their prices are astronomical
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

boozyoldman wrote:So what does anyone here know about AFFORDABLE insurance for those of us who actually live here?
That's a good question. I'm just on a 12 month travel insurance which I can probably repeat for another year, but it states it's not valid for people who intend to live overseas for more than two years. When you make a claim you have to attach your air tickets so I'd get caught out after two years unless I returned to AU first.

So, also open to suggestions...
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Peter Maitland is out of surgery, and chipper as ever, even offering everyone pretty sound advice:

I think I will take it.

And someone has a sense of humor:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

He should sue the kid, he's still got A leg to stand on. :wink:
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

bolueeleh wrote:young punk with camry and is that an iphone? will be out on bail in a heartbeat, case delayed due to unable to get written statement of victim, 3 years later, case forgotten lost in tons of paperwork. welcome to KOW, money talks, criminals walks
C'mon, a beat up Camry and an old iPhone, hardly the upper echelon of the nouveau riche!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic