Hands up if you never felt like unplugging those loudspeakers.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Hands up if you never felt like unplugging those loudspeakers.

Post by Kuroneko »

Popeye wrote: Definitely not traditional, they did not even have electricity in those days, let alone amp's and speakers.
:lol:
"Before the Khmer Rouge, Cambodia was just like any other country," Mol Kagnol, guitarist for Cambodia's first rock & roll band Baksey Cham Krong, says. "We had rock and roll, electric guitars and miniskirts."

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

of coarse they had concerts, amps and speakers 50 years ago

Traditions evolve with the times, just like Coca cola inventing the Red Santa clause and America inventing the use of a Pumpkin "Jock'o'lantern" during Halloween instead of a Turnip, in fact America have done a lot of tweaking to European "Traditions"
another being Christmas lights, in Europe Traditionally they would decorrate their Christmas Tree (German Origin) with edibles and candles, then America brought out fairy lights to decorate their trees, then next thing you know shit like this happens.....

WTF has that got to do with Traditions?!
:please:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Sailorman, being the gun-toting redneck he is, probably thoroughly enjoys the 4th of July fireworks.......
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

In my experience myanmar is worse than cambodia in that regard.
Many moons ago as I was sleeping in khaiktyo, down the hill where the golden boulder is located I was awaken by deafening loudspeaker pali chants that started at 2am and shut down by breakfast time. Only time in asia that I literally dreamt of owning sailorsman's M16.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Mosques > Pagodas
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

timmydownawell wrote:Mosques > Pagodas
In indonesia surely in cambodia clearly not.
I have lived next door to SHV mosque for more than 5 years and have only heard them open their amp for the muezzin prier call 2 or 3 times.
I actually found it to be quite a relaxing melody also useful as a time frame, like european churches are with the bells ringing.

But i guess it also depends on the caller's voice. The son of the imam (or some other teenager) was in charge of the afternoon call and that was a hairs rising disaster.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:
I have lived next door to SHV mosque for more than 5 years and have only heard them open their amp for the muezzin prier call 2 or 3 times.
I actually found it to be quite a relaxing melody also useful as a time frame, like european churches are with the bells ringing.

But i guess it also depends on the caller's voice. The son of the imam (or some other teenager) was in charge of the afternoon call and that was a hairs rising disaster.

The caller's voice near where I stay when I'm in KL is awful. He's completely tone deaf. Wouldn't make it past the auditions on Malaysian Idol, that's for sure.

And they do it five times a day or whatever too. I couldn't deal with that. Monks are nothing in comparison.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

timmydownawell wrote:
Barang_doa_slae wrote:

The caller's voice near where I stay when I'm in KL is awful. He's completely tone deaf. Wouldn't make it past the auditions on Malaysian Idol, that's for sure.

And they do it five times a day or whatever too. I couldn't deal with that. Monks are nothing in comparison.
Church bells ringing every hour on the hour (like in Catholic-European countries) can be annoying too. Then you get used to it. (Or move.)
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Traditions evolve with the times, just like Coca cola inventing the Red Santa clause[

WTF has that got to do with Traditions?!
:please:
santa claus has been around way before coke even existed from the early 1800s 80 odd years before coke ruined our teeth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

and before that the name santa claus it a english version os sinterklaas which has its roots in the middle ages
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

you are welcome :beer1:
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic