Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xavoy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by xavoy »

We arrive in a couple of days and are spending our first week on Riverside. It's our first time in Cambodia in ten years!

We'll arrive at about 6pm after a long flight, and I can only assume there will be some delay while we wait to get our (business/ordinary) visas.

Is it worth buying a sim card at the airport? or is there far better deals in town? We are big data users, but as for coverage plan to spend most of our time in Phnom Penh.

And how much should we expect to pay for a taxi or tuk tuk from Phnom Penh Airport to Riverside? I don't mind paying a small premium if I don't have to haggle for fifteen minutes when we'll just want to get to our hotel and have a beer / shower / sleep. What's a fair price for that time of day?

Thank you for all your help! Looking forward to being a little more active on CEO when we finally get to Cambodia!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by phuketrichard »

unless u need it ,get in town,same price;
Business visa take no more time than a tourist visa
Taxi is $12,tuk tuk 8-10
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote:unless u need it ,get in town,same price;
Taxi is $12,tuk tuk 8-10
I think you will find since the city bus service has been in operation, and stops just outside the airport, the tuk-tuk drivers have been willing to drop their price to get a passenger. I have never paid more than $5 for one person, but as xavoy uses the word '' we '' that may mean 2 or 3 persons and may have to pay $6 or $7 to riverside.

For me it's the 1,500 r bus ride.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
xavoy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by xavoy »

Thank you so much for the quick response!

And yes there will be two of us, my wife and I.

Thank you for the advice, can't wait to be back!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

xavoy wrote: Is it worth buying a sim card at the airport? or is there far better deals in town? We are big data users, but as for coverage plan to spend most of our time in Phnom Penh.

And how much should we expect to pay for a taxi or tuk tuk from Phnom Penh Airport to Riverside? I don't mind paying a small premium if I don't have to haggle for fifteen minutes when we'll just want to get to our hotel and have a beer / shower / sleep. What's a fair price for that time of day?
If you want a driver to meet you with a little sign as you exit Customs it'll be $15 and you get to avoid being accosted by others.

For SIM card, Smart is good, $1 (or $2?) for the SIM card and then $1 a week for 1GB of 4G data and includes a bunch of calls to other Smart numbers... calls to other networks come off your credit balance. You can buy the SIMs everywhere, just look for the green/white signs/umbrellas.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Smart shop on riverside

Website
http://www.smart.com.kh/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smart-Sh ... 4676612437

FYI
Sim cards are supposed to be registered at a phone outlet since last year. Just provide a photo ID. if you "lose" your phone you can go back to the phone outlet and have your number transferred to a new sim. "Anyone who has a SIM card bought without providing ID can avoid losing the number by registering it with photo ID at a phone company outlet or police station"http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/s ... -crackdown
xavoy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by xavoy »

Awesome, thank you both for the help! Smart Shop is an easy walk from where we're staying.

I've been paying literally ten times that price for data here in Australia!
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Taxi is $12,tuk tuk 8-10
I thought most of us got this straight!
Business visa is called an Ordinary visa now! Or, E visa. So now added confusion of which type as there are about 6 variations. One of which is is for business owners or workers. EB stamp in passport! Don't ask for this unless you are going to work. Probably in the future if you have this stamp and no work permit, even though you NOT working or intend to, they will have a reason to fine you if checking passport!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Fourkinnel wrote:
Taxi is $12,tuk tuk 8-10
Business visa is called an Ordinary visa now! Or, E visa. So now added confusion of which type as there are about 6 variations. One of which is is for business owners or workers. EB stamp in passport! Don't ask for this unless you are going to work. Probably in the future if you have this stamp and no work permit, even though you NOT working or intend to, they will have a reason to fine you if checking passport!
AFAIK PSD-Kiwi's post here is still correct. There's no change in visa procedure at the airport, it's the extension choices that have (possibly) changed. (I say "possibly"; has anyone got a visa extension since they announced the alternative visas ? Would be good to know.)
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/the-roa ... 60-20.html

@OP : When you arrive you'll see a booth on the left as you go out where you can book a taxi for a set rate of $12, so very easy if you don't want to haggle.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Fourkinnel wrote:
Taxi is $12,tuk tuk 8-10
AFAIK PSD-Kiwi's post here is still correct. There's no change in visa procedure at the airport, it's the extension choices that have (possibly) changed. (I say "possibly"; has anyone got a visa extension since they announced the alternative visas ? Would be good to know.)
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/the-roa ... 60-20.html

@OP : When you arrive you'll see a booth on the left as you go out where you can book a taxi for a set rate of $12, so very easy if you don't want to haggle.
yep the visas on arrival are Tourist (T) and Ordinary (E) visas, its the Extensions that are causing the headache lol

ive finally got my phone unlocked so looking forward to finally having data on my phone and getting rid of my 2nd cambodia phone (the special iphone 6s+ limited edition)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic