Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
User avatar
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Reputation: 287
Location: Bangkok
Canada

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by ExPenhMan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:53 pm

You mean unlocked from the cupboard in your room. LOL
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13960
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 2178
Location: Angeles
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:06 am

ExPenhMan wrote:You mean unlocked from the cupboard in your room. LOL
haha my old Samsung was unlocked to UK sims but i couldnt use Foreign simcards in it, has been a nightmare thats plagued me for a couple of years, i used to use this phone as a 2nd phone so i could put my foreign simcards in and just use my Samsung for WiFi lol

the other month my Samsung broke and i got myself an iPhone and got it unlocked for free through the service provider, so now when i return in 2month i dont have to fuck around carrying 2 phones and i can finally get Data as well, cant wait hahaha
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Reputation: 287
Location: Bangkok
Canada

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by ExPenhMan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:14 am

Yup. Data access is liberating and cheap.

Just a note: Keep that iPhone in your pocket. It's very desirable among undesirables. But I'm sure you know that.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13960
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 2178
Location: Angeles
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:29 am

ExPenhMan wrote:Yup. Data access is liberating and cheap.

Just a note: Keep that iPhone in your pocket. It's very desirable among undesirables. But I'm sure you know that.
:thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bertros
Expatriate
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:57 pm
Reputation: 25
United States of America

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by Bertros » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:57 am

Anchor Moy wrote:
Fourkinnel wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:unless u need it ,get in town,same price;
Business visa take no more time than a tourist visa
Taxi is $12,tuk tuk 8-10
I thought most of us got this straight!
Business visa is called an Ordinary visa now! Or, E visa. So now added confusion of which type as there are about 6 variations. One of which is is for business owners or workers. EB stamp in passport! Don't ask for this unless you are going to work. Probably in the future if you have this stamp and no work permit, even though you NOT working or intend to, they will have a reason to fine you if checking passport!
AFAIK PSD-Kiwi's post here is still correct. There's no change in visa procedure at the airport, it's the extension choices that have (possibly) changed. (I say "possibly"; has anyone got a visa extension since they announced the alternative visas ? Would be good to know.)
.
got here in aug and sorted an 'E' visa at airport, got a 3 month extension and new visa has the 'EB' stamp on it. I wasn't asked which extension I wanted, nor did I ask if there was an option as I wasn't privy to the new variations at the time. Got the extension at Lukcylucky.

fyi



Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2411
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 613
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by timmydownawell » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:32 am

Jamie_Lambo wrote: haha my old Samsung was unlocked to UK sims but i couldnt use Foreign simcards in it, has been a nightmare thats plagued me for a couple of years, i used to use this phone as a 2nd phone so i could put my foreign simcards in and just use my Samsung for WiFi lol
It was probably fully unlocked, but a version that only supported a 3G band used in the UK but not in (some) other countries.

e.g. you can't use an 850MHz phone on a 900MHz network

Although it should usually fall back to 2G where most phones would find at least one band that worked? What model was it?
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13960
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 2178
Location: Angeles
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:06 pm

timmydownawell wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: haha my old Samsung was unlocked to UK sims but i couldnt use Foreign simcards in it, has been a nightmare thats plagued me for a couple of years, i used to use this phone as a 2nd phone so i could put my foreign simcards in and just use my Samsung for WiFi lol
It was probably fully unlocked, but a version that only supported a 3G band used in the UK but not in (some) other countries.

e.g. you can't use an 850MHz phone on a 900MHz network

Although it should usually fall back to 2G where most phones would find at least one band that worked? What model was it?
it was a samsung galaxy s3, it wasnt to do with 3g/4g as thats just the data, it wouldnt recognise the simcards completely
UK phones can be funny like that, thats why i got my iphone unlocked over here by the service provider, still not 100% it will work but it should do
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Raybull
Expatriate
Posts: 1199
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:54 am
Reputation: 12

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by Raybull » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:36 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:...i can finally get Data as well, cant wait hahaha
:shock: wows, you was living in the 90s while here!
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2411
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 613
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by timmydownawell » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote: it was a samsung galaxy s3, it wasnt to do with 3g/4g as thats just the data, it wouldnt recognise the simcards completely
UK phones can be funny like that, thats why i got my iphone unlocked over here by the service provider, still not 100% it will work but it should do
That's weird.
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3569
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 682

Re: Phnom Penh Airport - Sim Card + Taxi/Tuk Tuk

Post by Kuroneko » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:45 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
timmydownawell wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: haha my old Samsung was unlocked to UK sims but i couldnt use Foreign simcards in it, has been a nightmare thats plagued me for a couple of years, i used to use this phone as a 2nd phone so i could put my foreign simcards in and just use my Samsung for WiFi lol
It was probably fully unlocked, but a version that only supported a 3G band used in the UK but not in (some) other countries.

e.g. you can't use an 850MHz phone on a 900MHz network

Although it should usually fall back to 2G where most phones would find at least one band that worked? What model was it?
it was a samsung galaxy s3, it wasnt to do with 3g/4g as thats just the data, it wouldnt recognise the simcards completely
UK phones can be funny like that, thats why i got my iphone unlocked over here by the service provider, still not 100% it will work but it should do
How to remove Samsung's region lock

First off, the region lock really isn't as scary as it sounds. European Samsung smartphones are region-locked, but only to the UK and countries within Europe (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Croatia), plus a few non-EU countries (Albania, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Monaco, Montenegro, San Marino, Serbia and Vatican City).

If you're going anywhere else, say the US, and you need to use your Samsung phone with a local SIM, you can deactivate the region lock by first placing (or receiving) a five-minute call within one of the approved countries.

Alternatively do it yourself. First root your phone then use Regional Lock Away apk from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2470551

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobil ... g-3590401/

More info:
Samsung shed further light on its region-locking policies on Friday, explaining that the locks only affect users the first time they activate the handset. The manufacturer also said the locks apply not only to the new Galaxy Note 3, as we reported on Thursday, but also to units of the Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 mini, Galaxy Note II and Galaxy S III that were produced after July.https://gigaom.com/2013/09/27/samsung-r ... t-the-sim/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 105 guests