Cambodia, luxury holiday destination.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia, luxury holiday destination.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A travel article from the Independent on new luxury accommodation in preparation in Phnom Penh's Vattanac Tower, as well as two resorts due to open off the coast on Koh Russey and Krabey Island in 2017. Siem Reap also gets a mention for the recently opened Phum Baitang.

Cambodia's most luxurious hotels: Private islands, posh stilt houses, and a bed in a 616ft-high building
A number of new extravagant openings look set to turn gritty Cambodia into an exclusive retreat for the travel elite.
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/hot ... 30841.html

The article is not particularly exciting, but it does indicate that Cambodia is breaking into a small but lucrative luxury holiday destination market. Perhaps with increasing international flights into Sihanoukville airport, the private island resorts will become popular holiday destinations for the rich and restless.
The problem with deluxe resorts is that the money tends to be shared between the resort and tour operators with very little trickle-down effect for the local population. Still, international notoriety as a luxury destination will hopefully give Sihanoukville's reputation a boost with international middle-class tourists. On the whole then, this is good news.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia, luxury holiday destination.

Another exclusive resort is planned, this time in the heart of Kirirom National Park, where a Japanese firm plan to construct a membership resort on the top of Kirirom mountain, for people with money looking for peace and quiet away from the hoi-polloi.

Japanese developers plan Kirirom membership resort
Thu, 10 November 2016
Siv Meng

Japanese development firm A2A Town Cambodia will invest about $2 million into a membership resort, located on top of Kirirom mountain.

Takeshi Izuka, president of the development firm, said the resort requires customers to register in order to buy the resort units at an upfront price of $20,000 for a membership status of 45 years. On top of this, a $400 per annum maintenance fee is required, amounting to a grand maintenance sum of $18,000 over the 45-year period...

Sales and purchasing of memberships for the project will begin at the end of this year, with construction tipped to start in early 2017.

The first phase will include 18 rooms, with each building being three storeys high...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-prope ... hip-resort
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

".....secretary-general of the Cambodian National Tourism Alliance, said this is a new service where members can stay at the place at a special price."

The fire sale on souls goes on, but the Hersey bar prices of UNTAC have inflated considerably.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

“I see some well-off Cambodians who don’t want to live in a crowded place or a place that combines the upper-class and the lower-class together in the same compound,” Izuka said.

I don't know, sounds ok to me.... :stir:

just sayin'

Bertros
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia’s Koh Rong islands: Secret’s out on ‘the Thailand of 20 years ago’
2 Feb 2017

MOVE over Thailand. A new set of South-East Asian islands is hitting the limelight among travellers.

A host of luxury hotels about to open in Cambodia are making the once war-torn nation one of the “it destinations” of 2017.

And the country’s southern islands — until recently a relatively well-kept secret among backpackers and budget travellers — are the stars of the show...
http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-tra ... 405435bb1a

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

The 'it' destinations? I thought it was called "the 'in' destinations".
I guess 'in' is out, and 'it' is in. :facepalm:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

New luxury resorts mix with ancient sites

There's a great deal to see all over Cambodia , and now there is a great new range of luxury accommodation to see it from, too. The headline-grabber is the luxury tented camp from hotel guru Bill Bensley, Shinta Mani Wild, which opened late last year along a wildlife corridor between the Bokor and the Kirirom national parks in the south. Fifteen large tents are positioned above rivers and waterfalls, with guests able to participate in conservation programs.

Another new resort is luxury ecological escape the Alila Villas, with 50 rooms on the island of Koh Russey off the south coast, which opened in November. Opposite them, the Six Senses Krabey Island, with 40 pool villas also on a private tropical island, the beauty of which moved restaurant manager Phearoth Rin to tears, is due to launch on March 1.

Further south, on another island, the $US40 million five-star Royal Sands Koh Rong opened its doors in April last year with 67 pool villas and a total of 148 rooms.

Meanwhile, back on the mainland, 2018 also saw the opening of the magnificent new Rosewood Phnom Penh, set on the top 14 floors of the 39-storey Vattanac Capital Tower One in the centre of the city, with panoramic views and a classic-meets-contemporary vibe. At the same time, in the west of the country, the new ecolodge, the Cardamom Tented Camp with its nine luxury glamping tents in the mountains is one of the finalists in the World Travel and Tourism Council's Tourism for Tomorrow Awards 2019.

In addition, the country's two heritage Raffles hotels, the Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor at Siem Reap and Phnom Penh's Raffles Hotel Le Royal – think guests such as Charlie Chaplin and Somerset Maugham – are about to undergo massive renovations starting in April.

It's now little wonder that last year Cambodia experienced the third largest increase in the number of international tourists in the Asean region, behind only Vietnam and Indonesia, of 11 per cent, according to the country's Ministry of Tourism. And that was in an election year, too, when the world's longest-serving prime minister, the widely detested Samdech HE, cemented his grip on power.

By 2020, with rave reviews from recent visitors, the naming of the country by National Geographic Traveller as No. 5 on the "Cool List 2019" and so much new infrastructure, the number of foreign tourists is expected to top 7 million.

"We are looking forward to them coming," says tour guide Sarun Peng. "We always give a very friendly welcome."
http://www.traveller.com.au/siem-reap-c ... ion-h1atm4

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Trendy Cambodia.
Where the world's billionaires will be holidaying in 2019
From Iceland to Cambodia via Israel, wealthy wanderers will be venturing off the beaten track this year
By Luciana Bellini
18 Jan 2019

Mykonos beach clubs and superyachts in St Tropez are so 2018 – this year, you can expect to see private jets touching down in some lesser-known destinations. According to Jaclyn Sienna India, the founder of luxury travel firm Sienna Charles, ultra-high-net-worth individuals are looking for something a little different this year, prioritising adventure and culture over pampering. A super traveller herself, Jaclyn spends more than 200 days a year on the road and has visited over 80 countries, all in the name of vetting the hottest new destinations for her clients (she once flew to a destination just to check out a particular masseuse). Her clients routinely spend £400,000 on a single trip and she has organised holidays for numerous celebrities, top business tycoons and VIPs, including pulling together a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Ethiopia for George W Bush and his family. Here’s the lowdown on where billionaires are booking this year.

1. Cambodia
Cambodia is having something of a moment, with a spate of new luxury hotel openings, so it’s no wonder the country has become a firm favourite with celebrities including Beyoncé, David Beckham and Angelina Jolie. ‘This is our favourite place for 2019,’ says Jaclyn. ‘The food, people, culture and hotels are second to none.’ Her top pick for this year is the newly opened, hyper-exclusive Shinta Mani Wild, Bill Bensley’s ultra-luxurious remote tented camp in South Cardamom National Park. For those who fancy extending their trip, Jaclyn says the best way to arrive in Cambodia is via one of Aqua Expeditions’ elegant boats, which starts off in Vietnam and winds down the Mekong River to Siem Reap.
https://www.tatler.com/article/where-th ... Pfa_2V7TNA

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Select spots close to the chaos of Sihanoukville are opening up to cater to rich international tourists.

Six Senses Krabey Island, Cambodia Opens 40 Private Pool Villas
Özgür Töre
01 March 2019
Six Senses Krabey Island has opened the doors of its 40 private pool villas to welcome its first guests as they step off the speedboat to this gem of a tropical island escape.
The landscaped 30-acre (12-hectare) private island with dense tropical jungle and rocky coastline is located 3 miles (5 kilometers) off Ream National Park in southern Cambodia. From Sihanouk International Airport, it is a 10-minute drive to the resort’s mainland reception for the short 15-minute crossing to Krabey Island. Remote enough yet not cut off from a country offering abundant culture and history.

With an at-one-with-nature environment such as this, huge care has been taken not to spoil it. The villas are sumptuous, sustainable and thoughtfully-designed, with green living roofs and maximum use of natural daylight. Each has a sundeck for lounging and alfresco dining with infinity-edged plunge pools and rain showers. And because all that relaxation is exhausting, each bedroom offers the groundbreaking Sleep With Six Senses standard for a good night’s sleep.

The resort includes two unique restaurants with menus focused on quality local produce and seasonality, much of it grown at the resort’s own 40,000 square feet (3,700 square meters) organic market farm and herb gardens. Dishes offer a contemporary twist on traditional Khmer cuisine as well as a creative interpretation of Southeast Asian and international favorites. There is also the Sunset Bar, furnished with comfy sofas, lazy hammock and a generous side order of the sun dipping over the Gulf of Thailand. An ice cream parlor serves up more than 15 flavors daily on a complimentary basis for guests.
https://ftnnews.com/luxury/36408-six-se ... ool-villas

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Better written than most of these publicity travel articles:

Why South Cambodia’s Lush Private Islands and Luxurious Jungle Camps Should Be A Part Of Your Angkor Wat Trip
As an optimistic young generation strives to move on from decades of genocide and civil war, a new swath of this this bewitching Southeast Asian kingdom is opening up.
Charles Graeber, who first traveled to Cambodia in the 1990s, discovers a new side of the south.

Charles Graeber Updated March 20, 2019

This, believe it or not, was the job: to check out intriguing new luxury hotels in a country I had not been back to in some 15 years. The country was Cambodia, and the only catch was — well, there wasn’t a catch.

I first went to Cambodia in 1996, at the invitation of an old friend and fellow journalist. He was writing for a newspaper named the Cambodia Daily. He insisted I come see this place. I did. My two-week visit stretched into a life-altering year, then longer.

The country captured me, charmed and confused me. It has that effect on people, it draws them in. I abandoned my plans, canceled medical school, dropped out of a relationship with a wonderful girl, and wrote half of a juvenile novel about expat life, about the streams of bats that blackened the skies at sunset and the conflict of feeling so happy and free in a country savaged by genocide and war.

I got a motorcycle, a rented room, a new love, and a new sense of purpose. It was a thrilling time. My friend had been right: there really was no more interesting or important place. Cambodia was on the cusp, emerging from the nightmare of the cultural cleansing carried out by Pol Pot’s Khmer Rouge; between 1975 and 1979 an estimated 1.7 million people, nearly a quarter of the country’s population, had been killed by starvation, overwork, or outright murder. But the intervening years had pushed the Khmer Rouge into hiding, and after another decade of civil war, the country seemed to finally be ready for peace — a democracy, even. And perhaps, we all dreamed, we might somehow help it along.

In the late 1990s, the little ruined riverside capital of Phnom Penh had a fledgling free press and fragile peace held together by an elderly king and blue-helmeted UN peacekeepers. The countryside was rough and raw and unspeakably beautiful. It wasn’t just the crumbling French-colonial villas and floating villages and miles of pristine coastline, or the ancient spires of Siem Reap’s Angkor Wat, rising like a prayer from the jungle. It was the people. It sounds like a cliché, and it’s certainly a generalization, but the Cambodians I met were good people, pure-hearted somehow. Perhaps, because they were survivors, they considered themselves lucky. Those who visited, people like myself, quickly realized how much we had taken for granted, and how much we had to learn.

Cambodia has undergone a staggering transformation since then. In 2012, the elderly king, Norodom Sihanouk, died, and these days the UN peacekeepers have been supplanted by Chinese investors. The country didn’t turn into a democracy, exactly, as the ruling party gradually removed opposition voices from the streets and the newspapers, and even the ballot. But the majority of the country has experienced a novel degree of stability, and with it a swell of development. Over half the population is under 25 years old, too young to remember when their country was a destination mostly for journalists, backpackers, and fugitives. Now Angkor Wat is one of the world’s most popular tourist attractions.

That said, those temples, and perhaps Phnom Penh, are all most visitors ever see of Cambodia. But now a new generation of high-end properties has begun drawing visitors beyond the usual circuit. The coastal islands and jungle mountains in the south and west have been largely inaccessible to visitors for decades. This was a Cambodia I’d never seen. Did I want to? my editor asked.

I write for work, usually about difficult things. This wasn’t exactly war reporting; it sounded fun, and I needed a break. And I could bring my partner, Gabrielle, on what would be her first visit to Asia. Did I want the job?

Sure, I said. It’s a living.

Article: https://www.travelandleisure.com/cambod ... ses-krabey

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic