Study Exposes Abuse of Trans Cambodians

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Study Exposes Abuse of Trans Cambodians

Post by Username Taken »

Edwardo wrote:To noone in particular: What is your view on the whole transgender thing...ie born that way learned/chosen lifestyle? I usually hear from published interviews and whatnot that transgender and homosexual people claim they were born that way and knew it from a very young age. I can see some possible truth there, as I can't imagine anyone choosing to live that life of rejection and societal abuse if they could live otherwise. I do wonder why SE asia seems to have so many openly transgender people. Maybe that's just my perception. I assume its a cultural thing, but as far as I can tell Cambodians don't really seem any more accepting of the phenomenon than the West these days.
I can recall two such people who, imo, were 'pushed' or encouraged to dress and take on the female persona by their parents while very young. These were both in Cambodia.

In 1999 at a border town, I was invited by a Khmer friend to go and drink sugarcane juice with him on the outskirts of town. We sat and drank our juice, then he pointed to the 'daughter' of the juice seller and asked me whether I thought it was a boy or girl.
Obviously, it was a girl. Just look at her. She was only about 9 or 10 but quite an attractive girl.
With the mothers consent, he quickly pulled the kids pants down, which showed how wrong I was.

The second one was a boy from the wife's village. Same thing as above. A pretty young 'girl' with long hair and clearly effeminate looks, yet only about 13 years old.
My wife told me that his parents had raised him like this because 'they' believed that he was really a girl.

Weird stuff. %)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic