Living on $37/month ...

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Living on $37/month ...

Post by boozyoldman »

Living on $37/month
This was posted by an American living in Cambodia just under 3 years ago (no names / no pack drill) ...

Hello Nepal expats. I am considering relocating to Nepal in a few months. I have been living in Cambodia for 5 years where I run my own Preschool and Kindergarten. It is very easy to open your own business here, there is very little red tape. I will be taking a TESOL course in Kerala, and then making my way to Kathmandu. I have very little savings. I will have to sell everything in my school to pay for this trip and the TESOL course. I have spent time in Sikkim, and love the people and culture. I'm sure I will love Nepal the same. What is the likelihood I can find work there teaching English at least making enough to live in a tiny room and have food? I don't need a life of luxury. After bills are paid, I live here on $37 a month. I am tired of the sexpats, former Khmer Rouge, drunks, pedophiles, habitual drunk drivers and barflies over here. I need change. I am an experienced mountaineer, river guide, vegan chef, and teacher. Should I come?

The reference to living on $37/month is interesting. Would this even begin to cover the bar bills of habitual CEO readers?
It will be recalled that Thoreau sent his laundry into town and frequently attended dinner parties ...
Rama
Expatriate

Re: Living on $37/month ...

Post by Rama »

I know a westerner (an artist) who lives on $85 a month (after paying rent and bills).
Needless to say, he lives a reclusive life.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

$85 a month would just about cover a moderate drinker's beer intake in a very parsimonious and abstemious month
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Not doable I say. The guy is full of shit.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Not doable I say. The guy is full of shit.

Agreed, however he said "After bills are paid, I live here on $37 a month" I could do that, if the bills included my food and wine bill. I probably spend around $37 on petrol, soap , toothpaste and detergents etc. :D
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Exactly. "After bills are paid" leaves a lot of wiggle room. Once my daughter's school fees, my rent, my groceries, my beer, the cat food, petrol, insurance, electricity, water, TV, Internet, and a few things are paid, I probably spend less than USD 37.00.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hanno wrote:Exactly. "After bills are paid" leaves a lot of wiggle room. Once my daughter's school fees, my rent, my groceries, my beer, the cat food, petrol, insurance, electricity, water, TV, Internet, and a few things are paid, I probably spend less than USD 37.00.
Agreed. If your rent and bills are paid, then you COULD live on $37 a month in Cambodia - but would you want to ? That is the question.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

hanno wrote:Exactly. "After bills are paid" leaves a lot of wiggle room. Once my daughter's school fees, my rent, my groceries, my beer, the cat food, petrol, insurance, electricity, water, TV, Internet, and a few things are paid, I probably spend less than USD 37.00.
Yeah, technically I'd say only monthly expenses fall into "bills" category, (in your example, that's school fees, rent, insurance, electricity, water, TV, internet and I'd add mobile phone), while everything else falls under "day to day expenses". If you were trying to eat on ~$1/day there probably wouldn't be much flavour in that rice.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Her Majesty says we will be soon subsisting on "salt and rice" and then pisses away $30 on
absurd and unnecessary luxury items ...
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

$37....???

After my Rent + Bills are paid for, that $37 would last me about 2 maybe 3 hours on 1 night out, no way i could survive on 5000r per day, i dont know how he can unless as mentioned his "bills" included his food shop
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic