First gold mine licensed in Rattanakiri.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

First gold mine licensed in Rattanakiri.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

It sounds like regulation is making its way to Cambodia.This is the first time that any sort of mining development has undergone a detailed study of environmental and social impact. Surveillance on the mining industry can only be a good thing. Now, if they could regulate logging and the forestry industry...

First mine licensed to draw gold
Wed, 14 September 2016
Cam McGrath

In a milestone for Cambodia’s nascent mining industry, the government has issued the first commercial mining licence to Mesco Gold, giving the Indian mining firm a green light to extract and process ore at its gold project in Ratanakkiri province, industry sources said yesterday.

The landmark approval by the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME) marks the first time for an extraction licence to be issued under a new regulatory framework, and the final step for Mesco Gold to bring its Phum Syarung mine into production.

“This is the first mining licence to be issued in the country, so it’s a pretty big deal,” said Richard Stanger, president of the Cambodian Association for Mining and Exploration Companies (CAMEC). “It’s the first licence issued under the new [mining] legislation and covers mining and processing the ore.”

He said some small-scale gold extraction had been carried out by companies operating under an opaque licensing regime that preceded a recent overhaul of the national mining law, but Mesco’s licence was the first to include a full-scale environmental and social impact assessment (ESIA).

The 750-page study identifies and assesses the potential impacts of the proposed underground mine, and sets out a support and development plan for affected communities.

“The licence has taken three years and gone through the ESIA process,” Stanger said...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/f ... -draw-gold
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: First gold mine licensed in Rattanakiri.

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Let the raping and pillaging begin....
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

discovery gonna hv a new show soon, gold rush cambodia - descend into depth of hell

axn new show, gold mining cambodia - 100 go down, 1 comes up, the ultimate escape
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i might get White Fang and go plunder me some Gold :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

''Surveillance on the mining industry can only be a good thing.

Best Chuckle of The Day Award
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The mining company is ready to go, but are the locals ready to work for them ?

With Mining License, Mesco Gold Set to Blast
After waiting more than two years, Mesco Gold said it received the license on Monday and was ready to begin work, having begun preparing the site in O’yadaw district on August 15.

“It’s an underground mine. If you’re going underground, you’re going to have to drill and blast,” said operations director Harsh Shar­ma, explaining that the company now needed to apply for an explosives license and recruit up to 80 local villagers as laborers.

Mesco Gold agreed in its environmental and social impact as­sessment to give preference to lo­cal residents in order to improve their living standards. Mr. Sharma said he hoped to have 70 to 80 locals working for him by year’s end.

However, Romah Phanna, the company’s liaison for Pheak village, an ethnic Jarai community bordering the mining concession, said that few in the area were interested.
Although other companies in the area have made similar prom­ises to employ locals—many of whom belong to ethnic minority groups and suffer from significant poverty—few had been successful, Mr. Thy added...

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/business/ ... st-117995/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Gold ! Good news, or will it be just another excuse to plunder, and squander, Cambodia's natural resources ?

Gold Mining in Cambodia
A look at gold exploration in Cambodia.
August 8, 2015
Nestled between Vietnam and Thailand is Cambodia, a poor country with a basket of largely untapped resources that include gold. Within the past decade the surge of interest in the country’s mining prospects has been met with positive response from the Royal Government. For Cambodia, the mining sector may be a key to economic growth, meanwhile for investors, there may be attractive possibilities, however, there is also common use of the term “high risk.”

That Cambodia has gold is one of the few things of which investors can be certain. The solid history of artisianal gold mining bears proof, as do the exploration efforts that are currently underway.
The country’s gold appears to be widely distributed. Commercial scale gold mining opportunities are often associated with northern Cambodia, which Southern Gold (ASX:SAU) has described as emerging into a new gold province.

However, Southern Gold says that there is a west-northwest structurally controlled trend spanning Cambodia and reports that they hold seven exploration licenses in the east.

Scott Donahue, Vice President of Corporate Affairs for Angkor Gold (TSX:ANK), says his company has traveled to all four corners of Cambodia and that there are great possibilities throughout...
http://investingnews.com/daily/resource ... but-risky/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Well done to the Khmer Times for this follow-up on the prospective Mesco Gold mine in a remote corner of Ratanakiri. The Jarai are making a stand, but if nobody knows about it, it's as if it doesn't exist.

Jarai Say No to Ratanakiri Gold Mine

An insurrection led by ethnic Jarai villagers against the Kingdom’s first commercial underground gold mine, to be operated by Indian-owned Mesco Gold (Cambodia), looms over the green, serene remote hamlet of Plung, a few kilometers from the Vietnamese border, in Ratanakiri’s O’Yadaw district.

About 140 Jarai families live at the edges of the forest there that are still teeming with wildlife and home to the much sought after Siamese rosewood. Chainsaws and bulldozers have spared these jungles, unlike the neighboring forested land that has been decimated and converted into mammoth rubber and cassava plantations.

“This Indian gold mine would destroy the environment by their dynamiting and the chemicals they use to extract the gold underground will poison our land,” Romam Davit, a 28-year-old Jarai villager, told Khmer Times.

“Our forests are also sacred to us. We have our spirits here, where we can make sacrifices to our ancestors. If all this is taken away, we will have nothing to pass on to our children,” he said.

“If the company doesn’t agree to stop mining and leave our land alone, we will stop them by using force if necessary,” warned the villager.

Last month the Ministry of Mines and Energy issued Cambodia’s first industrial mining license to Mesco Gold, with a 30-year concession, to start operating a 12-square kilometer underground gold mine in Phum Syarung in O’Yadaw district...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/30569/ ... gold-mine/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Teeming with wildlife?! Who the hell wrote that?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Luigi wrote:''Surveillance on the mining industry can only be a good thing.

Best Chuckle of The Day Award
:lol: :lol: :lol:
A report slams a branch of the World Bank, the International Finance Company (IFC), for lending money to businesses with questionable human rights records, including Mesco Gold/Angkor Gold which is setting up mining operations in Ratanakiri.
In Ratanakkiri, the report links the IFC to a gold mine concession overlapping the land of hundreds of families who were not consulted beforehand, as required by law, and fear losing their homes without fair compensation. The IFC has lent $45 million to Kotak Mahindra Bank, which has lent $2.26 million to Mesco, the mine’s Indian co-owner.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/worl ... rt-119055/

Three Cambodian development projects are mentioned in the report - the Ratanakiri Mesco mining, the Lower Sesan Dam 2, and rubber plantations run by the Vietnamese company Gemadept and its subsidiaries.
The full report on harmful World Bank funding:http://www.inclusivedevelopment.net/wp- ... t-2016.pdf
The Cambodian projects can be found on pages 11,12,13 of the report.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic